2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 16 sport had a Knoi FSD / H&R setup and I loved it, I very recently moved to a 2018 GT Premium (all the spaceship stuff + Manual!) and was able to salvage my CS exhaust, intake and wheels. Suspension is a bit more complicated so I had to give up somewhere. So in starting part-way over and not being able to stand the stock height with my lower than stock profile aftermarket wheels/tires I am looking at suspension and willing to compromise on just springs.
Should I stick with the H&R springs and OEM shocks (RSB Is a must anyway) or try corksport on the springs (unlikely, not as stiff) . I like my twisty roads when I can find them (Florida lol/ Road trips). I realize stock shocks/struts will wear quicker the lower you are but in the spirit of saving $5-600 how much different would they feel vs the FSD on H&R and a sway bar upgrade? I am aware the FSD are made to soften the infrequent heavy hits (which rarely happen in fl) so wouldn't they not make as much of a difference?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
I think you'll find that the internal valving of the OEM dampers isn't really optimized for the higher rates of the H&R springs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you'll find that the internal valving of the OEM dampers isn't really optimized for the higher rates of the H&R springs.
So lets say CS Springs/ RSB? Is most of the difference in the bigger bar in the overall scheme of things or am I just going to waste money on the lower springs and want my old setup for the fun drives.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm on H&Rs and a progress RSB while still on stock struts. Ride quality was fine for the most part, but now after about 15k miles I'm starting to see it decline in how it handles bumps and deals with mountain roads (it doesnt help my AS+'s seem to be shitting on me also only after 12k miles).

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
CS springs are lower than H&Rs but only slightly stiffer then OEM. Thats not really a good combination for spirited driving as you may end up on the bump stops a lot, not what you really want in a fast corner. With the CS springs, the rear bar will make a difference but the springs not so much. I'd stick with proper performance oriented suspension parts rather than parts aimed at the low-and-slow crowd.

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
CS springs are lower than H&Rs but only slightly stiffer then OEM. Thats not really a good combination for spirited driving as you may end up on the bump stops a lot, not what you really want in a fast corner. With the CS springs, the rear bar will make a difference but the springs not so much. I'd stick with proper performance oriented suspension parts rather than parts aimed at the low-and-slow crowd.
I'm still teasing the idea of modding the suspension on my 2016 HB as well.. Am I correct then in assuming that it would be recommended to use the Eibach springs with FSD's vs. the OEM Struts? Or would the best idea to be get a RSB and leave the OEM struts/springs for now? I like the lower look of springs, but I also like the idea of a little less body roll- and I probably shouldn't buy springs/struts and/or a RSB all at once because I'm just finishing out my last bit of college.

I just wouldn't want a setup that would blow a shock within a few thousand miles because the process of swapping likes like a minor PITA

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,499 Posts
I would stick with the H&R springs and upgrade your dampers to Koni FSD's again. They really are great dampers.
CK

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're on a budget and had to chooses one, go with the rear bar. Its cheap and makes a big difference.
Oh it absolutely does, I went a year stock on the old car and this one will be less I'm just impatient but only want to take everything apart once (paid for the work last time). I'll probably just go with the old setup as it was so damn nice. In the meantime I'll continue learning the car (new to manual) but I'm already doing pretty well and can safely navigate city traffic and highway. I've done 800 miles in the first week and I'll probably be near 2k by the end of april just because I'm driving so much to learn, so by the time I have the cash to do the suspension I'll be ready to safely push myself.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I suggest that you talk to a company that does suspension upgrades. Unfortunately while I understand the responses from members they are not asking the best question regarding your specific model, condition of your car, driving experience, brakes, tires etc., among many other things that should be considered. You dont choose a suspension upgrade based on what will give you the most noticeable difference at the least cost. :crying2:

IMHO you start suspension upgrades first with tires than brakes and then other components as needed for the intended driving.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suggest that you talk to a company that does suspension upgrades. Unfortunately while I understand the responses from members they are not asking the best question regarding your specific model, condition of your car, driving experience, brakes, tires etc., among many other things that should be considered. You dont choose a suspension upgrade based on what will give you the most noticeable difference at the least cost. :crying2:
I was really just feeling out how different setups were as an interim, I'll probably stick with the FSD/H&R/RSB as those were great for spirted driving.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I was really just feeling out how different setups were as an interim, I'll probably stick with the FSD/H&R/RSB as those were great for spirted driving.
The best investment for spirited driving is advance driving lessons from a Performance driving school. Most people on forums that mod up their rides with suspension parts cant even drive their cars very well to begin with and make it worse from false confidence of needing the car support poor driving experience or habits. :laugh2:

Good luck with your experimenting! 0:)

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Responses given above are based on actual experience with these cars and maybe just a bit of knowledge of the cars in question from previous postings..... i.e. continuation of previous discussions elsewhere.

I'm not going to presume that anyone here has inferior driving skills or mechanical ability and will not insult others by suggesting that they do, so take that for what its worth...

FSDs/H&Rs and a decent rear bar upgrade goes a long way towards changing the character of the Mazda 3 as many here have experienced for themselves.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not taking it to the limit with or anything but I would agree that exploring the limits in a controlled environment and instruction would be ideal. That being said I know how my 2.0 felt and responded in a variety of road conditions and didn't push my luck in poor conditions or in traffic. The idea isn't to throw suspension on it because I want to take corners at 60 mph, it's I know the car can do it and some minor tweaks will let me be able to safely throw it at corners I know it's capable of at those speeds. I'm not looking for the razors edge, I'm optimizing my experience.

I tend to drive by feel and work my way up to explore both mine and the vehicles capabilities, I realize it's a fine line. My main goal with this thread was to explore the possibility of getting by with less money now and working up to a similar setup later but it looks like the best option is to not half ass it, take my time to save the money, and get more than a few hundred miles driving a manual in that period before I compound inexperience with more aggressive driving. I didn't go from a Mazda 3 to a RWD or Turbocharged vehicle with double the HP but it's different enough.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Responses given above are based on actual experience with these cars and maybe just a bit of knowledge of the cars in question from previous postings..... i.e. continuation of previous discussions elsewhere.

I'm not going to presume that anyone here has inferior driving skills or mechanical ability and will not insult others by suggesting that they do, so take that for what its worth...

FSDs/H&Rs and a decent rear bar upgrade goes a long way towards changing the character of the Mazda 3 as many here have experienced for themselves.
I need to point out that the comment you say I am insulting members is your opinion and in the English language and how it is used was a not. Go re-read it again. Please do not interpret anything other then exactly what the sentence was. I do believe that you have comment on "tracking" your Mazda (either one) and you should very well know that a veteran,experienced and most likely one that has had Performance Driving classes r can drive a stock car well beyond the average odder on a forum. You can contact any Driving Training school in the world and they will explain further the accuracy of this comment. Here is one feel free contact them and post everything I have posted in this thread and show us their reply to it!
https://www.bondurant.biz/racing-pr...z&device=c&network=g&rl_track_landing_pages=1

As for suspension mods and experience, well doing a mod buying and installing it does not make any person really much more than a DIY and gaining experience would be having to start with a delta or at least using several different parts on the same car and then advising other with exatly the same car, conditions...and so on. You can not truly help anyone unless you know as much as possible first and fore most about the complete condition of the car.

When I respond in these types of threads it is to be "BLUNT" and most helpful to give a person (member) a better advantage to make an informed choice(s) and as I keep entering my comments often in this forum mentioning when "I help customers" as a preference to give some experience beyond a DIY! At some point some might wonder to what degree that means? :wink2:

Lastly I should state that anyone can go to the internet and find an answer and reword it to sound as if they are experienced. This really is not helpful at times on some threads and can lead to a members believing and trusting in a members advise thinking they know what they are talking about. However some of us that actually are can easily spot those that do. The funnest is one time years ago a member on another forum and platform actually found one of my many technical articles and tried to post it as if it were his. :laugh2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts