2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there is never truly a "correct" answer with these questions, I'll gladly take opinions.

I'm not going to road race the car. As much as I'd like to play in the SCCA world, this is my only car. The roads are pretty crappy here in SC. I am in no way insterested in slamming the car.

Now here's what I want and will do:
I love the height the pro kit rides at, but dislike the OEM- rates. I don't need race car stiff, but I want a firmer and more controlled set up. I don't mind a properly matched combo, and I've been considering koni yellows matched with racing beat springs. If coilovers are better suited for this, I will shell out the extra coin. I would imagine that a set of BC could set to their highest setting (or damn close) will suffice, with a quarter point stiffer than full soft. Sways to come as well.

It'll be used to play in the mountains and around town.

H&R springs are too low. Again, pro kit height F/R with increased rates would be ideal, but I don't see such a beast.

What suggest-eth the hive?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bilstein coils on max height would be best overall IMO

·
Registered
148 Posts
My vote is rb springs and bilstein b8s. I have ran cs, rb, and pro-kits with the b8s and rb spring was the best handling setup with front camber bolts.

Reactions: elvino and Loud3

·
Banned
161 Posts
yea but for the price get the b14 bilstein...........doesn't make sense spending over 1k on just plain shock and lowering spring.........for 900 you can get german total package coilover system.......anyone like ksport they also have on amazon

·
Super Moderator
6,295 Posts
I would try the RBs with Konis. The only advantage coilovers have is you can get the car a lot lower than with OEM type suspension parts. If you don't want to lower the car a lot, coilovers may be a waste for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
IMO, a set of Koni Yellows + a good set of springs will run you about $800 and are the best bang for your buck value/performance wise. Tire Rack currently has Koni Yellows on sale for about $575/set.

I've had Koni Yellows on all of my cars and have had great experiences with them. Great option for a daily driver as well.

If you're looking for a little more stiffness, racing beat is a little on the soft side. RS-R is a high quality option that also had a slightly moderate drop and offers slightly stiffer spring rates. I also prefer the RS-R because it's the only manufacturer (to my knowledge) that offers rear spring rates that are stiffer than the front--which is the optimal setup for FWD.

Also, the sways will help tremendously.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Note that height-adjustable coilovers will allow you to corner-balance the car.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
I would try the RBs with Konis. The only advantage coilovers have is you can get the car a lot lower than with OEM type suspension parts. If you don't want to lower the car a lot, coilovers may be a waste for you.
I wouldn't say the ONLY advantage... but that's clearly one of the most marketable.

Generally, the ability to have the spring rates + rebound/dampener rates coincide + adjustable top mount for (admittedly VERY) minor tweaking of caster/camber all in one package

I've always leaned towards coilovers because there is little in the way of guesswork.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts