2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So considering i'm in college, I can't afford 225/45R17s + EKM3s + shocks and struts all at once - and I really want to have a more aggressive ride. I can't decide whether I should drop the ~$230 for some RM 1.25 springs now, and then ~2 years down the line upgrade to maybe some Tokico shocks + struts and pick up the other upgrades, or if I should just hold off on the springs until I get the real deal.

I DO plan to put the suspension upgrade for performance use rather than just looks, and so my question about the RM 1.25s is: do these springs form well with our stock suspension? Meaning, will our stock struts mold well with the RMs so that they actually add to performance rather than take away from it?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Im in the same boat. Just received my RM 1.25. And plan on upgrading the wheels n tires ina month or so. Then about 2yrs later change to coilovers.
Ive read pretty good reviews on the RMs and know a few mazda that like em and perform really well. So im pretty excited to have mine installed ina few days.

Also if you do decide to go with RM, enter this code at check out itll save you 10%
( RMOC10 )

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about spring rates? I've heard that they progressive and that they're 310 front 360 back, can someone clarify? Checked the RM site and saw no info regarding this at first glance.

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
depending how many miles you put on your car will determine whether your shocks will make the 2 years. no ones really taken the shocks to the limit so there are alot of unknowns.

the obvious recommendation is to do both at once...its an easier install. and piece of mind that uve got all new sitting under there and shocks made to handle lowering springs vs stock shocks which have a designed travel for a certain height and ur gonna lower that height so shitll wear faster.

if you havent looked around at shocks yet. Koni's new entry level shocks the STR.T shocks and struts are roughly 400~ for the set and are designed with lowering springs in mind.

So far from the reviews on the board Road Magnet is a good set of springs. Others like H&R have 1.6 f / 1.9 r, Eibach Pro kit with 1.2 f / 1.1 r, Eibach Sportline 2 f /2 r

and u shouldnt need a camber kit. it doesnt hurt to have since itll allow a shop to dial in your camber no matter how low you are.

remember with lowering you will wear tires faster. correct camber and possibly some spacers as well as cautious driving will extend the life of your tires

but whatever you do...the most important thing is to enjoy it!

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
depending how many miles you put on your car will determine whether your shocks will make the 2 years. no ones really taken the shocks to the limit so there are alot of unknowns.

the obvious recommendation is to do both at once...its an easier install. and piece of mind that uve got all new sitting under there and shocks made to handle lowering springs vs stock shocks which have a designed travel for a certain height and ur gonna lower that height so shitll wear faster.

if you havent looked around at shocks yet. Koni's new entry level shocks the STR.T shocks and struts are roughly 400~ for the set and are designed with lowering springs in mind.

So far from the reviews on the board Road Magnet is a good set of springs. Others like H&R have 1.6 f / 1.9 r, Eibach Pro kit with 1.2 f / 1.1 r, Eibach Sportline 2 f /2 r

and u shouldnt need a camber kit. it doesnt hurt to have since itll allow a shop to dial in your camber no matter how low you are.

remember with lowering you will wear tires faster. correct camber and possibly some spacers as well as cautious driving will extend the life of your tires

but whatever you do...the most important thing is to enjoy it!
+1000000000000000000000 some good information. I was going to say something of this sort but this covers about all of it. Good job Hyjnx.

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
*shit eating grin* thank you sir. im humbled. i was gonna get more mathy but i started to confuse myself and just deleted it all.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I bought the Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs they are a 1.8" drop...Using my Stock Struts/Shocks....

Maybe down the road will be getting Coilovers w/ Adjustable Dampening..

Hopefully my Stock Struts/Shocks last a while...

·
Zoomin' Senior Member
356 Posts
I started off with just springs, Eibach's, and stock struts/shocks. Not long thereafter saw a group buy on ST coilovers. ST's have no adjustability, and the roads here just suck, so I went back to the Eibach's, but before I did I bought some Koni yellows. If you're gonna lower the car make sure you either do the springs/shocks together, or coilovers. It'll save you a lot of time and a lot of money. Each time I had the suspension apart, and back together again, I had to get an alignment. I should've got the lifetime alignment, but something else for you to consider. Be patient and KNOW what you really want.

Reactions: Poliswag and hyjnx

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate the info - I'm aware of all of the different effects on tire life and such, and for camber I'm not planning on going crazy negative or any for that matter. I like handling upgrades but I also like having a bill or two in my wallet, and I don't want them going towards new tires every season. I've done a lot of thinking over the past day since having made this post and warranty becomes a big issue as well. Unfortunately, when my car was purchased my parents decided to include 3-year/36k warranty on it (the car was a graduation present -- well, half of it was, the other half I'm paying for). Considering you can't rescind such an agreement, every time I would bring my car in for an oil change (even typing this bothers me - I'm really not sure why this service contract is on my car) I would have a chance of a mechanic during a bad day noticing my obviously lowered Mz3 with blue springs and voiding my warranty. This comes straight from the mouth of a Mazda mechanic, at the place I would typically take it to - a buddy of mine since before he had the job.

Anyway, I realize in case something were to happen to the car I could always swap the stock springs back on and then take it to the dealership and they wouldn't have any clue as to what happened, but the service idea sticks - I'm not willing to change out my suspension and fork out another realignment fee every few thousand miles. So, I'm sort of stuck. 23 months left on my warranty, yet I really want it lowered. /sigh

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
I appreciate the info - I'm aware of all of the different effects on tire life and such, and for camber I'm not planning on going crazy negative or any for that matter. I like handling upgrades but I also like having a bill or two in my wallet, and I don't want them going towards new tires every season. I've done a lot of thinking over the past day since having made this post and warranty becomes a big issue as well. Unfortunately, when my car was purchased my parents decided to include 3-year/36k warranty on it (the car was a graduation present -- well, half of it was, the other half I'm paying for). Considering you can't rescind such an agreement, every time I would bring my car in for an oil change (even typing this bothers me - I'm really not sure why this service contract is on my car) I would have a chance of a mechanic during a bad day noticing my obviously lowered Mz3 with blue springs and voiding my warranty. This comes straight from the mouth of a Mazda mechanic, at the place I would typically take it to - a buddy of mine since before he had the job.

Anyway, I realize in case something were to happen to the car I could always swap the stock springs back on and then take it to the dealership and they wouldn't have any clue as to what happened, but the service idea sticks - I'm not willing to change out my suspension and fork out another realignment fee every few thousand miles. So, I'm sort of stuck. 23 months left on my warranty, yet I really want it lowered. /sigh
In the same boat. Doesn't mean u can't buy them if you find a good deal. I have a before and after warranty list stuff like lights brakes wheels interior stuff the dealership won't fix if it breaks it wears out. And really the dealership would say no if your springs directly relate to the problem. You have an electrical problem with the radio or horn they won't say nope u have springs you did this. So it's a pick ur battles thing

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Ilya start on springs then move to coilovers its that simple no one on this forum has shown wear or damge to there stock shock/struts.

Reactions: Poliswag

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gotcha Phil, I'm happy in the belief that my stock struts will be fine on RMs, now just need to bypass the idea of warranty to justify it to myself ;p

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I gotcha Phil, I'm happy in the belief that my stock struts will be fine on RMs, now just need to bypass the idea of warranty to justify it to myself ;p
Dude put that bitch on. Dont worry about warranty. If something fails always keep your stock springs available so you just swap right before going to the stealership.

·
Zoomin' Senior Member
356 Posts
For those of you who are worried about the warranty please, PLEASE read this: Magnuson-Moss Act
It is about your rights concerning the warranty of your car.
Recently, I brought my car to the dealership, all lowered, and with a Corksport SRI, because the check engine light was on. They said the EVAP system canister valve solenoid was broken. They replaced it at no charge due to the warranty. Afterward the guy tried to tell me that possibly the aftermarket springs, adjustable rear camber arms, shocks broke that part. I asked if he could prove it. He said "well no, I can't", so I asked him why he is even mentioning that possibility. He apologized. PLEASE read the Magnusson Moss warranty act, and know your rights. The guy at the dealership however, did tell me that for any engine work to put the original intake back on. I thanked him, but I already knew that.

Reactions: Poliswag

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
Is that why they have off road use only? So if its used on road n causes a problem they aren't liable. Does Corksport have those warranties?

·
The One
54 Posts
For those of you who are worried about the warranty please, PLEASE read this: Magnuson-Moss Act
Recently, I brought my car to the dealership, all lowered, and with a Corksport SRI, because the check engine light was on. They said the EVAP system canister valve solenoid was broken. They replaced it at no charge due to the warranty. Afterward the guy tried to tell me that possibly the aftermarket springs, adjustable rear camber arms, shocks broke that part. I asked if he could prove it. He said "well no, I can't", so I asked him why he is even mentioning that possibility. He apologized. PLEASE read the Magnusson Moss warranty act, and know your rights. The guy at the dealership however, did tell me that for any engine work to put the original intake back on. I thanked him, but I already knew that.
I have gone threw a similar issue with my X, Lexus IS300 i had that thing lowered full N/A setup, and would take it to different Lexus dealerships, and not a sinlge one gave me a single hassle about any of my mods, and i had multiple warrenty issues repaird, a handle full of times... Most of the time service guys just like to put the "it going to void your warranty shit" into your head so you wont mess with the car and it will be less of a hassle for them to do their job, cause they wont have to worry about damaging any of your add-ons while they are doing the repairs... Because then they would be accountable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I kind of love you right now - I had no clue about this. This is awesome man, I really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts