2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any problem with driving in sport mode all the time? Does it do damage to the engine? I like driving in sport mode for the quicker throttle response.

·
Registered
154 Posts
No, throttle response isn't going to hurt the engine. It may lower your mpg though and make for a less comfortable (smooth) ride to some people which is why it's an option. Just don't redline it constantly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sport mode is just the engine running at 100%. The car is in a "fuel saving" default mode. By pressing the sport button you are bypassing it. My former Kia Optima had the same thing only done differently. The Kia was set to default at 100%. It had an "Eco" button which would put it into fuel saving mode. Our Mazdas just do it differently. With computer controlled cars it is almost impossible to do damage to the drive train with factory installed technology. The car is designed to protect itself.

Don

·
Registered
348 Posts
The only issue I noticed is that in "Sport" mode, the auto-transmission holds the gears much longer and tends to keep it in the lower gears.

Simple solution: Switch over to manual mode and you have almost complete control over the gear selection.

Bad news: If you mash the gas and click that "kick down" switch, the auto will skip to lower gears. You must anticipate gear changes to your power requirements. Otherwise, you'll be surprised with a downshift.

For this I only use my "sport" mode in auto to merge on to freeways or when I need to sprint around town traffic. Sport and manual for the cruise on the freeway or when I wanna have fun.

best of luck!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I only drive my GT in manual mode, but not always with sport mode on and that's mainly because of fuel economy. In manual mode if you don't switch up to the next gear the trans will redline just like a real manual, I've never yet seen the trans revert back down to a lower gear? The manual mode really mimics a traditional manual, I suspect a lot of people are just driving their GT in auto not yet realising what the trans is capable of.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
574 Posts
I only drive my GT in manual mode, but not always with sport mode on and that's mainly because of fuel economy. In manual mode if you don't switch up to the next gear the trans will redline just like a real manual, I've never yet seen the trans revert back down to a lower gear? The manual mode really mimics a traditional manual, I suspect a lot of people are just driving their GT in auto not yet realising what the trans is capable of.

This is one of the top reasons I got this car. My wife can't drive a manual to save her life, I didn't want to totally give up a manual transmission, but I also wanted something we could both drive. This car was the perfect option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts