2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So some splash shields got torn up when driving in the snow today. The "front under cover no.1" got torn up and is gone. The front under cover no. 2 (with the oil change panel) is still there but looks to have some parts torn out of it. I believe one of the "floor under covers" is gone.I'm not sure what's all left as it's still snowy outside and I don't have a garage. From what I can tell the splash shield by the tire is fine and the belts still looked dry.

How much of this do I actually need to replace? Can I just leave things alone if the belts are not going to be exposed? What does a floor under cover actually do?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those plastic covers under the car do two things. 1. Direct air through the radiator 2. They help to reduce drag from the undercarriage (for MPG). If the weather that you have is very cold, then you might be okay to wait 'til it warms up (the fans will pull air through the radiator also). The problem will be when it starts to get warm and you need to run the air conditioner that you may have a car that runs hotter than it should (though without a "real" temperature gauge, you'll only know when it's overheating when it actually overheats.)

·
Registered
723 Posts
I think the main thing is fuel economy. Having a smooth bottom will help reduce aerodynamic drag. It's all the rage in this era of corporate fuel averages and EPA fines.

I'd be surprised if it had a measurable effect on engine cooling.

But I do wish we had voltmeter, coolant temp and oil pressure gauges. On the other hand, they'd have to be mighty small to fit in that instrument panel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another shield fell off this morning on my way to work. I'll get under there this weekend and assess the damage. I almost don't want to bother with it unless the belts are exposed. I may investigate the radiator air flow shield but the rest I feel will just fall off again.

I agree, more gauges would be nice. Now that it's winter I'm not too worried about it running hotter than it should, but I should probably do something before summer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked after work with a flashlight. I tore off the radiator splash shield. The large shield where the oil change access panel is appears to be fine. I am completely missing the passenger side floor under covers. It doesn't look like it'll hurt anything as there's not much under there but a few hoses. The drivers side floor under covers all appear to be there but it's a little hard to tell from the service manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts