2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the Speedline Solid Strut Bar, and when installing it I noticed that the flange is pretty thick and the stock nuts will not go back on.

Did you just buy a different style of nut or what was your solution.

I don't have pictures as it was one of those "oh it arrived, lets install it before going to dinner kind of thing".

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
98 Posts
Probably need longer studs from the strut. Should have been supplied with the bar if the manufacturer was any decent with R&D. That or something was missed during installation.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could see them missing that with this vender. I will re-evaluation the situation this week when I have more time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just installed an Ultra Racing strut bar last week. The problem is the stock nuts are only threaded about half way down from the top. You'll probably need to pickup 6 nuts and washers

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just installed an Ultra Racing strut bar last week. The problem is the stock nuts are only threaded about half way down from the top. You'll probably need to pickup 6 nuts and washers

That's kind of what I was thinking could be the issue.
Now off to Fastenal.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I just installed an Ultra Racing strut bar last week. The problem is the stock nuts are only threaded about half way down from the top. You'll probably need to pickup 6 nuts and washers.
Thanks @BadSeed! Your useful information is why positive car forums like this one are so helpful to other owners. We sure are not going to see that kind of info in the Owners Manual LOL!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quick question... between the ultra racing and the speedline one, which one do you guys think is the best? Design? Stiffest? I just ordered a couple hours ago the ultraracing front and rear strtubars, despite having the speedline already, they are on sale on: maxaudio.com.my i can always sell the extra one

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, i too have the speedline strutbar mine came with a new set of nuts that fit perfectly and replace the originals
Thanks @damekko
I did not notice these in my package. I will recheck to see if they got bundled with the hood strut parts before I purchase some.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after some new nuts and washers form Ace Hardware its on.
Not a night and day difference but a slight one.
Kinda wish I had gone with the UR one as I plan to buy more of there braces in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
after some new nuts and washers form Ace Hardware its on.
Not a night and day difference but a slight one.
Kinda wish I had gone with the UR one as I plan to buy more of there braces in the future.
Hate to ask but how do you replace the bolts with longer ones? I assume that you dont need to drop the whole strut assembly but have never had to do this. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: gfpettus

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hate to ask but how do you replace the bolts with longer ones? I assume that you dont need to drop the whole strut assembly but have never had to do this. Thank you in advance.
You don't need longer studs, you need different nuts. The factory ones are not threaded all the way through

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is correct better nuts were needed ans should come with the bar but didn't.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tried to install the bar, but unfortunately the nuts are smaller size.... M7 compared to stock M10... that's ridiculous :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hard to tell in the photos. How well does the bar fit over the welded tabs on the top of the strut tower?

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
So, just installed my speedline strut bar and my impressions...

Overall, it's a well made strut bar and I would recommend it. Mine came with all hardware. Although I wasn't keen on mounting it on washers vs flush against the strut tower, it seems solid. Not having a service manual, I measured the existing torque at ~ 38 ft-lbs. Only downside was the long lead time. It took a month to get it. My guess is they are made to order and are shipped from Taiwan. Speedline communicates via email and was quick to respond when I emailed about the status. It was also very well packaged.

As for performance, not sure it helps that much. The car seems a little tighter in turns, but the difference is barely noticeable if at all. It might make a difference when lateral force reaches or exceeds 1g, which isn't going to happen in this car. Money is better spent on shocks and springs and maybe a rear sway bar, which is up next

1 - 20 of 30 Posts