2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The neighborhood I live in is filled with speed bumps and hills that have dips in the road. With the stock suspension I have on my car now they aren't an issue if I slowly cruise over them but I'm worried about getting new springs and shocks. Will having the car lowered, even less than an inch, make driving over speed bumps any more difficult? I find myself having to angle my car on certain driveways and fast food exits as it is.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to cars as I've just found myself gaining an interest in them within the last two months so any advice at all is always appreciated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have corksport springs installed and find it fine to go over speed bumps and driveways, I've only scraped several times but that was due to driving head on out of parking lots with a dip. Just angle out and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have corksport springs installed and find it fine to go over speed bumps and driveways, I've only scraped several times but that was due to driving head on out of parking lots with a dip. Just angle out and you'll be fine.
All right, I appreciate it.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Good/informative post @Hi Im Mike.

Due to the law of physics, related to what the OP has asked, the more your lower, the more you are going to encounter issues with steep driveway aprons, e.g., it is far from only speed bumps that must be considered. I am not lowered, yet accessing my local Chevron gas station, both going in and exiting, is something I only do from one of its two entrances/exits.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Also when lowered it is ALWAYS best to reverse park your car as much as possible. I drove head on and went a bit too far and dinged up my front bumper once. Plus we have a really good backup camera on our Mazda 3 so reverse parking is a piece of cake.

·
*The Electrician*
931 Posts
Lowering isn't everything, a set of good adjustable struts, a rear swaybar upgrade, and some alignment parts like camber bolts ect would do you far more good than lowering springs. Alignment plays a bigger part in handling than lowering springs. If lowering the car for looks is all your after, then as a consequence you may scrape from time to time. I suggest that if you are already having issues scraping in your local environment that lowering might be a bad idea. Also, have you tried a better gripping tire like the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tire? I will be using them next summer to help improve my street grip over the crappy oem Dunlops. The best advice I can give you, don't rush into anything, take the time to research and understand completely what your doing to the car and what positive/negative affects it may have to your daily drive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good/informative post @Hi Im Mike.

Due to the law of physics, related to what the OP has asked, the more your lower, the more you are going to encounter issues with steep driveway aprons, e.g., it is far from only speed bumps that must be considered. I am not lowered, yet accessing my local Chevron gas station, both going in and exiting, is something I only do from one of its two entrances/exits.
Yeah ever since buying the car I have been keeping mental notes of which exits/entrances I can use when going to certain places. I appreciate the help.

Also when lowered it is ALWAYS best to reverse park your car as much as possible. I drove head on and went a bit too far and dinged up my front bumper once. Plus we have a really good backup camera on our Mazda 3 so reverse parking is a piece of cake.
I, unfortunately, have not been blessed with a backup camera. I'll take your advice into consideration and start doing just that everywhere I go though.

Lowering isn't everything, a set of good adjustable struts, a rear swaybar upgrade, and some alignment parts like camber bolts ect would do you far more good than lowering springs. Alignment plays a bigger part in handling than lowering springs. If lowering the car for looks is all your after, then as a consequence you may scrape from time to time. I suggest that if you are already having issues scraping in your local environment that lowering might be a bad idea. Also, have you tried a better gripping tire like the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tire? I will be using them next summer to help improve my street grip over the crappy oem Dunlops. The best advice I can give you, don't rush into anything, take the time to research and understand completely what your doing to the car and what positive/negative affects it may have to your daily drive.
I'm looking for better handling when turning at higher speeds and I was told that springs and shocks can help with that. I'm going to do some research tonight while I'm working and check out everything you've mentioned, I really appreciate it.

I'll get back to the lot of you within two or three days with some products I have been looking at after my research if that's no bother? Just want opinions of people who are more informed than me.

·
*The Electrician*
931 Posts
Yeah ever since buying the car I have been keeping mental notes of which exits/entrances I can use when going to certain places. I appreciate the help.

I, unfortunately, have not been blessed with a backup camera. I'll take your advice into consideration and start doing just that everywhere I go though.

I'm looking for better handling when turning at higher speeds and I was told that springs and shocks can help with that. I'm going to do some research tonight while I'm working and check out everything you've mentioned, I really appreciate it.

I'll get back to the lot of you within two or three days with some products I have been looking at after my research if that's no bother? Just want opinions of people who are more informed than me.
Lowering springs are not always the answer, contrary to popular belief. Ask any performance driver that does more than just street driving and they will likely agree with me. If its grip your after, start with tires and a rear swaybar, you will be greatly surprised at the difference they will make, without needing lowering springs or struts. All the springs and shocks in the world cannot help you if your tire compound is lacking proper grip.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I live in rural Australia, and my other hobby of distance running takes me off the beaten track from time to time. In addition, my town has high bluestone kerbs in the central area, which is a heritage precinct, and most parking is 45degree angle, reversed in.

Safe to say, lowering isn't an option for me.

That being said, I am currently researching rear swaybars, and how to install them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts