2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
All I know is that if they ever make that hood compatible with ours, I'm getting it !

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think it will fit. The fenders and lights are the same. Why wouldn't it fit? I asked before at a dealership and they said it would.

BeEvil

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I think it will fit. The fenders and lights are the same. Why wouldn't it fit? I asked before at a dealership and they said it would.

BeEvil
The lights are the same, but the outside edge of the fenders is most certainly not. Look closely and you'll see. I think it's unsafe to say it will fit until someone tries it. My guess is that it wil, but I'm not going to take anyone's word for it. We need proof. Regardless, I think it's silly to put a non-functional scoop on your car. All it's doing is catching air and lowering your drag coefficient.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Regardless, I think it's silly to put a non-functional scoop on your car. All it's doing is catching air and lowering your drag coefficient.

I have to agree with Derrick on this one. I think Mazda didn't offer it on the 3 for his reason exactly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have to agree with Derrick on this one. I think Mazda didn't offer it on the 3 for his reason exactly.
Not only that, but without an intercooler sitting up there in that opening, wouldn't it be a good way to get all sorts of water and debris into the engine compartment?

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
We need a couple of adventurous owners who live close together and can do a test swap, lol. The MS3 owner's car would be out of commission, of course. I'm looking forward to CS's black, front-mount intercooler. Maybe we'll start seeing some MS3 hoods on the market from people who want a stealth look :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking more along the lines of designing some sort of specialized intake system that could take advantage of an forced induction hood. Obviously it would have to lay flat similiar to the intercooler on the MS3.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Not only that, but without an intercooler sitting up there in that opening, wouldn't it be a good way to get all sorts of water and debris into the engine compartment?
Not really. Our FMIC kit for the 2007-2009 has a flat panel ram air intake system in that duct and we have never had any issues with moisture or debris. I think that there is a popular misconception about fear of water in your engine. Ever heard of a methanol injection system? Those actually spray water alcohol mix into the intake for in cylinder intercooling.

Engines are far more resilient than people give them credit for.

Jason
CorkSport

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
You would have to replace all of the forward panels, not just one (fenders or hood). And they are not the same. The back of the car is different also, the tailpipes on the speed are nearly 3" shorter than the MZ3.

Jason
I knew the bumper and fenders were different (wider). So, the fenders mate to the hood at a different point? That's interesting. I was thinking I might be able to swap MS3 fenders and bumper (way down the road). I really just want the wider fenders for more wheel options. You're saying I would have to swap the hood too?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not really. Our FMIC kit for the 2007-2009 has a flat panel ram air intake system in that duct and we have never had any issues with moisture or debris. I think that there is a popular misconception about fear of water in your engine. Ever heard of a methanol injection system? Those actually spray water alcohol mix into the intake for in cylinder intercooling.

Engines are far more resilient than people give them credit for.

Jason
CorkSport
I made my comments based on the car being un-modified and there being just an open hole in the hood. With nothing but the engine down below. Running an intake system changes things totaly.

I've pulled bugs, leaves, hay, dead birds, and all sorts of other things out of my grill over the years. I have also had electrical problems after washing an engine bay because an electrical compnent on the top of the engine which is normaly safe from road spray, got wet. I could see the same thing from an open hood scoop that isn't normally supposed to be there.

I think I have heard of mathanol injection systems, but also the radial engines in the old fighter aircraft had water injection as well to give a momentary boost of hp.

·
Registered
331 Posts
You would have to replace all of the forward panels, not just one (fenders or hood). And they are not the same. The back of the car is different also, the tailpipes on the speed are nearly 3" shorter than the MZ3.

Jason
I'm going to have to check this. I was told by a dealer that the part #'s are the same for the front fenders of the MZ3 and the MS3. I'll get back when I find out for sure.

BeEvil

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I'm going to have to check this. I was told by a dealer that the part #'s are the same for the front fenders of the MZ3 and the MS3. I'll get back when I find out for sure.

BeEvil
Sorry, but the dealer you spoke with doesn't know what they're talking about. MS3 fenders are wider on 1st and 2nd gen's. Pretty well-known fact. You can tell just by looking at them and it also makes sense on paper. 2010 3s wheels are 17x7+52.5 and MS3 wheels are 18x7.5+52.5. Mazda isn't going to just stick wider wheels in the same wheel well. Lol. I'm just questioning if the hood is a different width.

·
Registered
74 Posts
seems to me that they look pretty similar but most likely have a slight fitment issue. my suggestion is wait for an aftermarket one that directly fit your 3. the speed hood is made for the speed man. any water that goes through the scoop of the hood on your 3, your motor will most likely be ruined

·
Registered
476 Posts
seems to me that they look pretty similar but most likely have a slight fitment issue. my suggestion is wait for an aftermarket one that directly fit your 3. the speed hood is made for the speed man. any water that goes through the scoop of the hood on your 3, your motor will most likely be ruined
So would that mean if I converted my speed3 into a front mounted intercooler, I would have to close off the hood scoop or change the hood into a standard hood? Seeing that the engine will no longer have the top mounted intercooler which will be out in the open and vulnerable to water:eek:hmy 1::confused:

1 - 20 of 147 Posts