2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with these headlights? I am thinking about getting a new set of headlights. I heard the output for these headlights are not the greatest and my other option is GTA retrofits, but that requires me to remove headlights ship it over which would make my car undriveable for a week. Any info would be great!

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
do you currently have halogens or HID lights? if you have halogen honestly its better for visibility and the safety of oncoming cars to stick with halogens in a halogen housing, as HID and other bulb types put off light in a different pattern and require different reflectors to keep the beam on the road and out of people's eyes correctly. If you want HID you could get some scrap yard HID housings out of another 3 and retrofit some d2s bulbs in or do a retrofit with a new projector lens on your halogen ones, with a projector meant for HID bulbs. if you have HID Philips makes some of the better ones I am using their 4300k ones right now and its a nice white light that is extremely bright, I have factory fancy HID housings that auto level and turn with the steering (too much when one breaks, but nice to have) even if you have halogen housings you can get much brighter halogen bulbs, again Philips definitely makes the best oem replacement halogens on the market for color consistency, light output and life, their brightest bulb out lasts the Sylvania purple box by a long shot and absolutely kills sylvanias silverstar line. the Philips are something like crystal vision ultra and are nice and white colored at the top range one, put out a bunch of light and help greatly with visibility, I use them in every car I have had with halogen bulbs

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently have the halogen projectors. And I am currently using HIDs right now. I have aimed them down lower so that they do not run into other drivers eyes. However, I am thinking about retrofitting them, but I currently want the spec D headlights for the light strip haha.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
good that you have them aimed down, do you notice your beam pattern is a little off, and it does not throw light as far as it should? that's what tends to happen in halogen housings with HID bulbs, because the HID light sprays light in a 360 degree circle while the halogens don't hence the difference in the needed projectors/reflector housings and why it blinds oncoming traffic. our cars sit so low it maybe hard to blind oncoming traffic anyways, but I hate people that do that crap because it hurts and its dangerous. the factory hid setup is fancy with the auto level and swivel with steering and really bright. bad thing is Philips does not do retrofit bulbs for HID.

by the way like the picture of the car you may notice my profile is a bit like that as well. I wanna get one of the band Disturbed monster character (like the one on my main profile page) and transpose it over the front of a picture of my car because that's what it looks like to me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I notice that the pattern is a little off, but im going to send them to GTA retrofits and he is gonna give my headlights clear lens + tune which helps with the pattern and output of the light itself. But yes good thing I lowered the aim and also my car is lowered so that helps too.

haha thanks, it was something I did for Halloween. Saw a few people who did it to their cars so wanted to give it a try. its pretty cool.

Attachments

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
yeah, I notice that the pattern is a little off, but im going to send them to GTA retrofits and he is gonna give my headlights clear lens + tune which helps with the pattern and output of the light itself. But yes good thing I lowered the aim and also my car is lowered so that helps too.

haha thanks, it was something I did for Halloween. Saw a few people who did it to their cars so wanted to give it a try. its pretty cool.
if yours would look anything like the before and after pictures it should be great and you should be able to aim them properly after. the after pic looks like the pattern is corrected and the light out put is where it needs to be

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm actually thinking about getting the skyactive headlights. Was gonna go GTA retrofits but it's so costly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just going to give my input on the Spec D headlights...

I've had them for probably over a year now. They definitely look cooler than stock, although that's opinion. I was drawn to them for the light bar and the low / high projector setup since I wanted to go HID.

After installing (which was super simple, basically direct replacement), I noticed the projectors were a lot lower quality than the stock Mazda ones. There are harsh cutoff lines all around the bulb unlike stock where the light almost floods out and doesn't have a clear edge. The other issue out of the box was the DRL strip. Definitely cool in a garage or at night but during the day? Lol good luck...you can't see it at all.

I've gone ahead and opened the lights, painted the projector shroud black to match the rest, and tried a few different DRL strips (none of which are bright enough). Since then, and this may be my fault for poor resealing of the headlights, they have developed strange cracks on the inside of the plastic. It looks like they dried out like a river bed. They are only visible from certain angles but it's still annoying.

Lastly, the high beam functionality via the flap within the projector has started to break. Often I find the flaps barely work at all so there's almost no difference between low and high beam.

So would I recommend these? Probably not unless you really want to spend some time redoing almost everything about them to get a working product. I'd say your best bet is to send the stock headlights off to be done the right way. Maybe buy a second set to use in the mean time or whatever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts