2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm asking anyway. In my iGT with the Bose speakers, when there's nothing playing, or the volume's turned all the way down, or it's muted, there's a low hiss coming from the speakers. This happens on all inputs. Is this simply normal speaker noise? It's quiet enough to be covered up by road or engine noise, but I figured I'd ask just to be sure this isn't unusual or something to keep an eye on it worsening.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm asking anyway. In my iGT with the Bose speakers, when there's nothing playing, or the volume's turned all the way down, or it's muted, there's a low hiss coming from the speakers. This happens on all inputs. Is this simply normal speaker noise? It's quiet enough to be covered up by road or engine noise, but I figured I'd ask just to be sure this isn't unusual or something to keep an eye on it worsening.
Check the volume on your Nav and phone (that includes any BT streaming from your phone). Make sure your phone is not streaming. They are separate settings. You will get a hiss when any of these volumes are high and they are not playing. This is true for almost all audio equipment. Beyond that, it is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hiss is a constant with the Nav volume set at any level -- even 0 -- and without any kind of input, or even if the input is just muted. I suspect this might just be the noise floor of the speakers. I'm just hoping others can verify its existence as well.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The hiss is a constant with the Nav volume set at any level -- even 0 -- and without any kind of input, or even if the input is just muted. I suspect this might just be the noise floor of the speakers. I'm just hoping others can verify its existence as well.
Did you turn off your phone to see if it is coming from the BT connection? I just don't notice a hiss on my car at all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, no phone, bluetooth turned off on Infotainment even. It's most noticeable when the ignition is switched to "On", but with the engine turned off. The only time I hear an interruption of the sound is when I toggle Centerpoint, which presumably flips some setting in the amp briefly. I assume this sound is just from the amp being on all the time for the various car sounds to play through the speakers, because turning off every other source of sound I can think of doesn't get rid of it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
probably bad ground somewhere. locate bose amp and ground the chassis of it to the car. or failing bose amp.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You've gone through the major steps. I can't think of any other audio service that could be on. I have to agree with D-Jack that it's probably a bad ground. I get absolutely no hiss even when the engine is off. Are you sure the hiss is from the speakers and not the heater fan? That fan turns on immediately when you push the start button because the climate control needs air to determine whether it should be on or not. When at low speeds, that fan does sound like a hiss coming from the speakers. That fan does not move air through the car so you can't feel it. It is just a tiny fan that moves air over the temperature sensor in the cabin.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, it's the speakers, not a fan. Or at least, it's tied to the audio/amp, since like I said, toggling the Centerpoint option interrupts the hiss briefly. It is a very quiet hiss, and you have to be near the dash tweeters to hear it, so I figured I was just being overly sensitive. (White noise might be a better description.) Maybe I'll take a look at the amp, though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its a common "issue"

When I bought my car, 8 months ago, I noticed that noise coming from speakers even with the radio muted. I went to the dealer and tested two more cars. Every one had the same behavior. So there's no way to stop it. I think its related to the "AudioPilot" feature of the Bose system.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a common "issue"

When I bought my car, 8 months ago, I noticed that noise coming from speakers even with the radio muted. I went to the dealer and tested two more cars. Every one had the same behavior. So there's no way to stop it. I think its related to the "AudioPilot" feature of the Bose system.
Thanks for the confirmation. Though I think when I tried toggling the AudioPilot option that didn't do anything. I suspect it's just normal amp noise though. Googling, it seems to be a common thing, and even my various speaker systems at home have somewhat of a hiss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love my Mazda 3 but the white noise is my only complaint about it. I wish Mazda/Bose would figure something out - driving your car shouldn't be irritating.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love my Mazda 3 but the white noise is my only complaint about it. I wish Mazda/Bose would figure something out - driving your car shouldn't be irritating.
I think I'd go test drive another one at a car dealership and see if it has the same issue. It sounds like something is wrong with your car. Maybe a wire has worn down somewhere and is causing a bad ground, or interference is entering the system somewhere. I'd be making a warranty claim.

·
Registered
43 Posts
reviving an old thread.

I hear this whistle/white noise from rear right door speaker from my 14 I GT.. What's weird, if i turn off car then wait a few seconds turn car back on, the noise is gone..Sometimes I hear a weird pop noise from that specific speaker when I turn car on.. at first I thought it was a blown speaker.. But now I think its just how the system is?

·
Registered
1 Posts
reviving an old thread.

I hear this whistle/white noise from rear right door speaker from my 14 I GT.. What's weird, if i turn off car then wait a few seconds turn car back on, the noise is gone..Sometimes I hear a weird pop noise from that specific speaker when I turn car on.. at first I thought it was a blown speaker.. But now I think its just how the system is?
melsredmazda3 That's exactly the issue I have with my '14 GT. Low level white noise from all speakers is not an issue, it's just the amp's noise floor, which on mine is very quiet (my ear must be right next to the speaker to hear it) until I get to 50+ on the volume meter. But my right rear door speaker emits white noise that can be heard from the driver's seat. I haven't noticed pops or any other noise, just white noise when there's no audio input. Once the volume gets up to 15+ the white noise is overpowered, so it's not a big deal, just bothersome. And it's not intermittent, ie: turning the car off then on again doesn't temporarily eliminate the noise. I know it's not a speaker issue, and I've been told the problem is with the amp, but nothing more specific than that. I presume the only solution is to replace the amp and hope that solves the issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts