2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the spark plugs and was curious what everyone recommended in terms of performance and reliability? I'm told these cars are very specific.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the service interval is 75K miles so you are getting close. IMO, when it comes to spark plugs in Asian cars, use either the original or NGK (who is probably the OEM anyway).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few hundred to change the plugs??:surprise: You need to find a new dealer that isn't out to rip you off.
They said the spark plugs were special because the car is a 2.5 2015 and because of the compression they aren't typical spark plugs -_-

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
2.5 plugs:
NGK ILKAR7L-11
ILKAR7L11 (94124)
ILKAR7L 11
Mazda PE5R18110 or PE5R-18110

Compatible replacement spark plugs:
Denso (4711) IXEH20TT
Bosch (9621) VR7NII33X
Pulstar GG1H10
Autolite XP5682
Champion Iridium 9412.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm guessing the dealer charge isn't just for the spark plug replacement. There's usually some other adjustments made at the same time that plugs get done and those are usually the kicker.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
They said the spark plugs were special because the car is a 2.5 2015 and because of the compression they aren't typical spark plugs -_-
WTF ? ? ? :surprise::surprise::surprise: They are just spark plugs, nothing special there.........
Cost up to ~$14 each depending on what plug, about 30 minutes work. You need to take your car to a dealer that is not flat out dishonest as this one seems to be.
I bet they charge a fortune for the "special" nitrogen fill in the tires too.....:bash::bash:

:laughing019::laughing019::laughing019:​

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WTF ? ? ? :surprise::surprise::surprise: They are just spark plugs, nothing special there.........
Cost up to ~$14 each depending on what plug, about 30 minutes work. You need to take your car to a dealer that is not flat out dishonest as this one seems to be.
I bet they charge a fortune for the "special" nitrogen fill in the tires too.....:bash::bash:

:laughing019::laughing019::laughing019:​
They actually do... they have coupons for that...

I may just wait till 100k to replace them then or till I feel that the car starts to run funny.

But I'm also guessing spark plugs are spark plugs. You won't see any performance benefit based on brand just as long as the gap is correct.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
They actually do... they have coupons for that...

I may just wait till 100k to replace them then or till I feel that the car starts to run funny.

But I'm also guessing spark plugs are spark plugs. You won't see any performance benefit based on brand just as long as the gap is correct.
Mazda specifically says in their Guidelines for Factory Scheduled Maintenance that Nitrogen has no practical value. Another rip-off.

For spark plugs, correct gap and heat range are what you need.:smile2:

·
Registered
266 Posts
The OP's dealer sounds like the kind that resulted in the creation of the word "stealership".

<off topic>
Mazda specifically says in their Guidelines for Factory Scheduled Maintenance...
Thanks for referencing that document!

I've looked everywhere to see when Mazda recommends that owners replace transmission fluid and brake fluid, and those Guidelines are the first place I've seen those recommendations. In both cases, Mazda says that "flushing should only be performed when instructed by Workshop Manual or any other Mazda publication".
</off topic>

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
<off topic>

Thanks for referencing that document!

I've looked everywhere to see when Mazda recommends that owners replace transmission fluid and brake fluid, and those Guidelines are the first place I've seen those recommendations. In both cases, Mazda says that "flushing should only be performed when instructed by Workshop Manual or any other Mazda publication".
</off topic>
Brake fluid should be changed at least every 2 years due to its hygroscopic nature. If you want to keep an eye on the condition of your brake fluid, here is a simple way to check the moisture content-
https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Fluid-Tester-calibrated-fluids/dp/B005HVG4GQ

·
Registered
266 Posts
Brake fluid should be changed at least every 2 years due to its hygroscopic nature. If you want to keep an eye on the condition of your brake fluid, here is a simple way to check the moisture content-
https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Fluid-Tester-calibrated-fluids/dp/B005HVG4GQ
Thanks - I hope other members see and read your recommendations. I have my brake fluid flushed every two years, and for the reason you give.

Curiously, the Maintenance Schedule, which is silent on brake fluid flushes for cars in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico, specifies a flush at 24-month intervals for cars in Mexico. Unless dealers have some schedule of their own for brake fluid flushes, I suspect the average owner will run their fluid until their cars become hard to stop.

One thing of note regarding the moisture tester you linked-to: it's calibrated for DOT 4 fluid, and the Mazda 3 comes with, I assume, DOT 3 fluid, as that's what is specified in both the Owner's Manual and the Workshop Manual. FWIW, I went ahead and had my fluid changed to DOT 4 during the two-year flush.

·
Super Moderator
6,410 Posts
Thanks - I hope other members see and read your recommendations. I have my brake fluid flushed every two years, and for the reason you give.

Curiously, the Maintenance Schedule, which is silent on brake fluid flushes for cars in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico, specifies a flush at 24-month intervals for cars in Mexico. Unless dealers have some schedule of their own for brake fluid flushes, I suspect the average owner will run their fluid until their cars become hard to stop.

One thing of note regarding the moisture tester you linked-to: it's calibrated for DOT 4 fluid, and the Mazda 3 comes with, I assume, DOT 3 fluid, as that's what is specified in both the Owner's Manual and the Workshop Manual. FWIW, I went ahead and had my fluid changed to DOT 4 during the two-year flush.
Had not noticed that about the DOT3 fluid. I assumed that since just about everything in the US has had DOT4 in it since 2006 that that is what was in there. Not really an issue though as using DOT4 in a DOT3 system is an acceptable upgrade, and I use DOT4 in all my cars.
There are similar testing pens for other DOT rated brake fluids too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts