2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kudos to Mazda for including the Spare Tire. This is a skinny little 60psi economy tire that is nicely stowed. The whole under-the-rear-deck has the spare tire tools nicely organized. The Civic I looked at came with only a fix-a-flat kit. Mazda did a good job on this IMHO.:yinyang:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I also like having a spare instead of thise fix a kit. Alot of the newer cars dont even come with a spare, and they charge you if you want one. I was looking at the lexus ct200 and for a $30k+ car it didnt come with a spare.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I installed summer performance run-flats and took out the spare tire. Now I have a good amount of storage under the cargo floor.

At least for the summer (my winter set is not RF). But to each his/her own.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I was looking at the lexus ct200 and for a $30k+ car it didnt come with a spare.
Not really a cost of car issue...BMW M3/4...which can pretty much hit 6 figures for a new one fully loaded...comes with a "BMW Mobility Kit"...which is a can of a Fix-a-Flat-like substance and an electric mini air-pump in a cute carrying case. Spare tires aren't an "essential safety feature" by federal regulations so many have gone with no spare tire to cut weight/increase space/decrease cost and go with runflats or these inflation/sealant kits instead. I like having a donut too so I'm glad Mazda has chosen to keep it...for now anyway.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I usually carry around a tire plug kit. Here are some examples:

Amazon.com: tire plugging kit

I owned my last car for 15 year and never used the spare. I did, however, plug holes in its tires at least a dozen times. A year doesn't go by that I am not pulling a nail or screw out of a tire from one of my cars. Add a little air compressor, a simple step pump or a can of fix-a-flat and you could safely run with no spare IMHO. That would leave room for a bigger sub woofer custom molded box. :smiley:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had three flats that could not be patched. Without a spare it would have been a tow.
I can understand Hyundai et al simply cheaping out on this. I can't understand real carmakers ditching the temporary spare. We looked at the Cruze Eco a couple years ago. You can only have the spare if it's an automatic. Apparently, without the spare the stick shift car tested for highway mpg over 41.5, which allowed them to round it to 42. With the extra 30-40 (?) of the pounds of the spare and jack set, the test number would have been slightly lower, and would have rounded to 41. And because of the EPA test requirements, it can't be sold in a way that would produce a different car. So, even though the trunk pans are identical in both the auto and stick Cruze Eco, the temp spare could not be offered as a dealer option or accessory. Although you can find online instructions for what parts to get separately and install this to the car yourself for about $300.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have had three flats that could not be patched. Without a spare it would have been a tow.
Yup. Been driving 15 years and I'd say about half of my flats have been non-patchable. It's rare enough that you think "eh, maybe I can get by without..." but then it happens. Course, most people just sit and wait for AAA anyway.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Doesn't Mazda do the same? That's what I understood
Yes, they have it as well, I think almost every company has it now. And yes, i prefer having a spare in my car as well because I know how to change a tire. But how many people don't know how to change a tire. If I had to guess, it would be well over half the population. So look at it from Hyundai and the other companies that don't have a spare any more, point of view. Why put a spare tire in a car that the owner can't use and then also pay a road side assistance guy to come a change it. Cut your costs and just pay for the road side assistance. But the OP is on point with giving credit to Mazda for the spare. I think it comes down to Mazda's philosophy in developing driver's cars.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Agree that without a spare, a sidewall-damaged tire will require a tow and that's a big charge if your insurance doesn't cover it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
And roadside assistance is great and an appreciated thing, but it leaves you at the mercy of a LOT of external forces.

If the weather is bad (snow, for example) you can wait HOURS for a tow truck.
If you're in a remote area, ditto.
If you're in an area with low or no cell phone coverage (yes they still exist, especially in mountainous regions) you're just flat-out screwed.

With a spare you're at least in charge of your own destiny. I know the vast majority of people just wait for a tow truck anyway, but even if you're one of those people it's nice to have the option.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It was nice for Mazda to include a spare. I took mine out for the weight savings. I'm pretty annal about changing the tires out before they reach the legal limit, there is always the chance of bad luck blow out, I'm willing to think those days are behind me :smiley:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts