2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
How the hell is this user still posting all this spam? It's been going on for like 3 days. Where are the forum moderators on this?

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
The problem is the forum software keeps letting them in even after they are banned. Before the new platform was brought on line spammers could be blocked by banning the IP they are posting from. The new platform can't seem to do this using the newer IPv6 even when using the spam clean tools. All they need to do is create a new user name and they are back. So, until this changes, these things are going to happen....and if its coming from a different source or if its the same source with a different IP there is nothing that can be done. This is an open forum, anybody can create a user name and post at will. There is no way to tell what a new user will post until the post is made.

·
Registered
219 Posts
All this talk about Spam is making me hungry. Fried Spam on a grilled cheese sandwich, add a layer of egg. Can't wait for Saturday morning.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
With how many VPNs are available these days, the possibilities are limitless. I could be writing up some spam right now and nobody would ever know. Maybe I'm going to push my gay/transgender/feminist/liberal agenda.

I should tell better lies. I'm way too lazy for that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The problem is the forum software keeps letting them in even after they are banned. Before the new platform was brought on line spammers could be blocked by banning the IP they are posting from. The new platform can't seem to do this using the newer IPv6 even when using the spam clean tools. All they need to do is create a new user name and they are back. So, until this changes, these things are going to happen....and if its coming from a different source or if its the same source with a different IP there is nothing that can be done. This is an open forum, anybody can create a user name and post at will. There is no way to tell what a new user will post until the post is made.
I am SysOps on another forum based off of xenforo 2. We have virtually solved the issue of spam to the point where no spam posts make it through. We can tell if someone creates another account even if they change ip addresses, use a proxy, go through a VPN, whatever.
The only thing we have left to tackle is doing hidden embed links in posts but that's currently being dealt with.

If you guys would like some help in minimizing the spam, I'm more than happy to provide guidance.

That being said, while yes there was some spam on here, It doesn't seem to be as much as other forums so you guys seem like you're on it pretty well!

·
Registered
286 Posts
SPAM is back with a vengeance, I cannot read a single forum thread without getting pop up "update your McCaffee, AVAST, Flashplayer etc".

The forum is unusable for me at this point, I am frankly surprised this message could be typed without it crashing

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have not seen any issues here either.

Other forums are getting hit with a pile of spam posts a day and even spam private messages.

·
Registered
286 Posts
this is occurring on Mac Safari literally moments after opening any forum post (phishing/spam, the page takes over and prompts updating-- among others, McCaffee, AVAST, Flash Player, etc), I switched to Chrome to see if that resolves it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
this is occurring on Mac Safari literally moments after opening any forum post (phishing/spam, the page takes over and prompts updating-- among others, McCaffee, AVAST, Flash Player, etc), I switched to Chrome to see if that resolves it.
Could be some adware hiding in your system. I have not had a single pop up since I joined nearly 5 years ago. Macs get viruses and other such junk too, apple just doesn't like to talk about it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Could be some adware hiding in your system. I have not had a single pop up since I joined nearly 5 years ago. Macs get viruses and other such junk too, apple just doesn't like to talk about it.
I am aware and Mac savvy, that said if others use Safari they may encounter this same issue. So far Chrome isn't generating these issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts