2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Premium Machine Gray Metallic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You can also go with a slightly wider tire. I went from 215 to 225/45/18 and removed the 5mm spacers on my gen 3 and it looks pretty similar to how it was with the spacers on and the 215 tire.

Can't wait for my Enkei wheels to arrive. I had to order them from Japan.
CK
That's a good idea. I might do that when it comes time to replace the tires. Definitely post some pics of those wheels when you get them mounted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I attempted to put 15mm bolt on spacers on the front, the oem wheels did not clear the studs
If you are talking about bolt-on spacers, the OEM wheels do not have deep enough pockets. You can trim down the studs or get a bigger spacer. I didn't want to do either so I went with slip-ons and extended lugs.

Update: I received a call from motorsport-tech and they are machining my spacers now. Should be getting them soon.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you are talking about bolt-on spacers, the OEM wheels do not have deep enough pockets. You can trim down the studs or get a bigger spacer. I didn't want to do either so I went with slip-ons and extended lugs.
I didn't want to mess around with the lugs either.
I went with aftermarket wheels in 18x8 +40.
Now I run 5mm slip ons in the rear, no spacers in front.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Finally got the spacers from Motorsport-tech and promptly installed them with the longer ARP lug bolts. I think it looks pretty damn good. Stock, the front wheels are a few millimeters closer to the fender than the rears so with 15mm spacers all around the fronts are pretty much perfectly flush with a tiny bit of tire poke and the rears are a tiny bit more tucked compared to the fronts. I will post pics of the wheels when I wash the car but for now here's how it went with some install pics.

The spacers took a while to arrive but are primo A+ quality and fit like a glove. Removing the OEM lugs/studs were easy, just bang them out with a 5lb sledge hammer. But the rears were more involved as we had to make a cutout in the dust shield to get the longer lugs installed. It was tight but luckily my buddy who helped me has done this before a few times so he already knew what to do. To install the new studs we used a lug install tool with OEM lug nuts and an impact wrench and that made life much easier. I highly recommend the stud install tool and an impact wrench for this job. This is the stud installer: Wheel Stud Installer - Lisle 22800

The fronts do rub a little on big dips in the road going highway speeds ~70mph+. It's rare and not enough to cause concern but it does happen. Also keep in mind I'm on lowering springs. Going with my original measurements of 12mm spacers up front and 15mm in the rear would probably prevent the rubbing and the flushness would be equal, I believe.

Spacer:
Auto part Rim Automotive wheel system Wheel Metal
Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Flange
Auto part Metal Wheel Aluminium

Dust shield with cutout and extended lugs in:
Disc brake Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Wheel

Brake rotor on:
Disc brake Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Wheel

Spacer on:
Wheel Automotive wheel system Auto part Brake Vehicle brake

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Nice! That's pretty crazy though. How's the handling with the added width?
CK
Ride is smooth as butter. No added vibrations or anything like that. As far as handling, theoretically a wider track width is supposed to improve cornering performance, as you already know. But I don't really push the car to its limits so I haven't really noticed any performance handling improvement.

Reactions: CerealKiller

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Sorry for the delay, been busy and the weather here turned to crap real fast. Pics are quick and dirty:

Tire Wheel Automotive design Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting Headlamp Automotive parking light
Mode of transport Vehicle Automotive design Land vehicle Car

Reactions: cyato

·
Registered
132 Posts
on my 2014 gt - 15mm brought stock wheels (18") to flush with fenders without rolling. Make sure to get hubcentric spacers with the wheel studs hydraulically installed. Plate spacers slide out of position causing out of round wheels.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts