2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting New tires this Friday! Cant Wait... 32k out of these yokos... just about bald, and I will be doing my best tomorrow to burn off a wee bit more :D Anyways, I am getting 225/45 continental DWS mounted on my RoJa Formula 5 17x7 rims +42 offset (the DWS 225/45 is 21lbs, same as the yoko 205/50s which surprises me, will be going on a 14.5lb rim :) ).

ANYHOOOOO!!!!
the rims being 10.5mm wider than stock, and with an additional 10mm width on the 225s vs 205s. the side of the tires will be 20.5mm wider than stock. I am not too concerned with any rubbing in the front (as I am sky high and not planning on dropping it anytime soon) and they should line up nicely with the side of the vehicle. The rear... not so much, I am guessing I will need an additional 10-15mm or so. Which creates my dilemma, a 10-15mm spacer would most likely make my lug nuts holding by just a thread (no pun intended) or not be able to catch completely. I don't want to do 25mm hubcentric rings with the different set of lug nuts. what do I do to get an additional 10mm??? Are there longer bolts I can get in somehow??? any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
The spacers you are thinking of are just the disc that goes in between the hub and the rim, they are complete garbage.

I have the Eibach spacers, they bolt on to your hub, then the wheel bots on to them.

Then H&R spacers comes with extended lugs that you install in the hub assembly, they go through the spacer and then your wheel goes on to them. (the top ones in the picture)

You will want a hubcentric spacer, so that you can use hubcentric rings for your new rims.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it looks like I will have to change the bolts to get the desired width, anyone do this on a relatively new 3? I have replaced one bolt in a old f250 before, and it sucked... Gotta hope that a newish car wont be as bad... Thanks for the pics :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh wait... your eibach 15mms fit over the existing bolts, and you were able to just do those?! That may be ideal, and a hell of a lot easier as well.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
oh wait... your eibach 15mms fit over the existing bolts, and you were able to just do those?! That may be ideal, and a hell of a lot easier as well.
Yeah they just fit on over the top of the old ones.

The only issue you may run into with those is, a bit of the stock wheel studs still stick out of the holes, so if the back of your rims are like this:

You will be fine as those will just stick out into those dimples. Other wise you would need to grind the tips that stick out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
again, thanks for the information, and especially the picture. My rims are flat on the back between the holes. I guess I shant be going that route. :001_unsure:

·
2010 MZ3
144 Posts
Yeah they just fit on over the top of the old ones.

The only issue you may run into with those is, a bit of the stock wheel studs still stick out of the holes, so if the back of your rims are like this:

You will be fine as those will just stick out into those dimples. Other wise you would need to grind the tips that stick out.
where did you get the eibachs and how much?

·
Zoomin' Senior Member
356 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your new rims have an offset of +42. Stock rims are +52. I put on 15mm spacers and was pretty flush, and I had to have the rear fenders rolled. My suggestion is just get a 5mm spacer and you should be good, especially if you're not lowering, and won't have to worry about your lugs being too short as well. Check out this site for your wheel and tire side by side comparison. Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but your new rims have an offset of +42. Stock rims are +52. I put on 15mm spacers and was pretty flush, and I had to have the rear fenders rolled. My suggestion is just get a 5mm spacer and you should be good, especially if you're not lowering, and won't have to worry about your lugs being too short as well. Check out this site for your wheel and tire side by side comparison. Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com
nice website, I only used the miata site tire calculator, never with rims... and really?? you had to roll your rear with an additional 15mm?? do you run 225/45 or 205/50 still? with how much drop?

edit : getting sick of this changing my question marks to ??? faces hahaha

·
Zoomin' Senior Member
356 Posts
nice website, I only used the miata site tire calculator, never with rims... and really?? you had to roll your rear with an additional 15mm?? do you run 225/45 or 205/50 still? with how much drop?

edit : getting sick of this changing my question marks to ??? faces hahaha
I'm w/205's, lowered on ST coilovers, ground to fender 24.25" all around. I have adjustable rear camber links as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, they are on, and I am loving them. but I do think the rear could come out a bit more... tell me what you guys think.

Front is pretty good (and I have ZERO rubbing still)

but the back.....

opinions? Am I nuts for wanting that little bit more width in the back?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not lowering until I blow a shock and need to replace them... then it will be with coilovers. not going to just do springs, this car is too comfortable for me to do that to lol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The back usually only has a little extra space to play with, but that's only visually. You'll need to roll the lip on the rear fender to be able to actually space it out a bit more without rubbing (at least when you lower it).

A 225 width tire on a 42 offset wheel should sit pretty close to flush anyways. Maybe a little less so in your case because of the 7" wide wheel. Luckily the Conti DWS runs a bit slim like Falkens so it still looks "square" on the wheel and not bulged. With a 225/45-17 tire though, you could easily run 7.5-9" wide wheel to get a more flush look with 7.5" being the norm for 225, 8" being a slightly rounded sidewall (or square/even with the wheel if you've got a fatter tire brand) , 8.5" being a tiny but noticeable stretch, and the 9" being a moderate stretch.

As far as spacers go, the simple slip on spacers can be used with the stock studs up to 5mm. With the factory studs installed and a 5mm slip-over spacer, you can still get enough turns of the lugnuts to be safe. A 5mm spacer just might be enough to even out the back and make it look the same as the front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts