2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
hi. can anyone confirm this is the sound they get when they press the knob? i usually get it when i press directly in the center of the black part a few times.

just wondering if its just my car and if i have to call the dealership (bought my car on saturday)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3uNus0OV75ta2s3eVBjRE10VkU/view
Yea, I dont think that little clicky noise is normal - I have a 2014 s Touring 3

The thud sounds normal, but the click seems a bit off.

I have actually completely taken apart my commander knob before - for other reasons - I can't imagine what that noise would be other than some small broken plastic piece... or possibly something sticky on the rubber membrane that the knob pushes against.

lemme see if I can find some pictures I took....

EDIT:

Here are two of the pictures I took. The SILVER knob actually comes off - although I wouldn't try, it is a HUGE pain in the ass to get it back on tightly.

There is a little screw that holds the knob on, you have to pull up and twist counter-clockwise to get it to unscrew - pulling up will make sure the knob is tight to the screw - This slowly go loose in my car to the point where it would not Click full - it would register a click - but it would not do the full THUD when clicking.

It was a huge bitch to fix, to get to the screw you need to remove the Outer Silver Part from the inner knob screw frame.

Your knob could be too loose - it could be too tight - (if too tight, rotating it some times registers double spins or 1 forward and one back like on a menu)

I wouldn't try to take anything apart just yet though....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I dont think that little clicky noise is normal - I have a 2014 s Touring 3

The thud sounds normal, but the click seems a bit off.

I have actually completely taken apart my commander knob before - for other reasons - I can't imagine what that noise would be other than some small broken plastic piece... or possibly something sticky on the rubber membrane that the knob pushes against.

lemme see if I can find some pictures I took....
yes this would be amazing! is it easy? i just bought this car, i wonder if the dealer would take care of it?

also yes, i do have the solid "thunk" when i press about 70% of the time, the rest i sort of get a something is sticking possibly sound.

·
Registered
355 Posts
wow. i thought it would be an easy take apart.

looks pretty intense.

How to take apart command switch in center console

Yea I think that's a mazda 6 though.

For the mazda 3 you CAN actually remove the knob without taking apart anything else.

Here are some more pics I dug up from when I had to fix it.

You can take the knob off, just by rotating it counter-clockwise while pulling UP

BUT - IT IS EXTREMELY A HUGE BITCH TO TAKE THE INNER BLACK PIECE OUT OF THE SILVER KNOB. AND THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET IT BACK ON.

You need tiny tools to pull back the "clips" holding it inside.

This is the only way to screw the black piece back on to the main party. THEN you can put the silver piece back on the black part.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I think that's a mazda 6 though.

For the mazda 3 you CAN actually remove the knob without taking apart anything else.

Here are some more pics I dug up from when I had to fix it.

You can take the knob off, just by rotating it counter-clockwise while pulling UP

BUT - IT IS EXTREMELY A HUGE BITCH TO TAKE THE INNER BLACK PIECE OUT OF THE SILVER KNOB. AND THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET IT BACK ON.

You need tiny tools to pull back the "clips" holding it inside.

This is the only way to screw the black piece back on to the main party. THEN you can put the silver piece back on the black part.
my friend, this was the most useful post for me in a long time. i truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
my friend, this was the most useful post for me in a long time. i truly appreciate it.
no problem, just understand that it will be REALLY hard to get that inner black piece out, and you need tiny pointy tools to do it.

I used these thin tiny pointy tools I have - dunno what they're called - they have slightly bent ends I have one with a hook too - they are essential or something similar if you want to Take it apart AND get it back on.

And don't screw it on TOO tight

I would test it for a while with the Silver part off while you have it screwed in - just to be sure its not too tight or too lose - mine was too tiight at first - and it registered the commands wrong....

·
Registered
355 Posts
hi. can anyone confirm this is the sound they get when they press the knob? i usually get it when i press directly in the center of the black part a few times.

just wondering if its just my car and if i have to call the dealership (bought my car on saturday)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3uNus0OV75ta2s3eVBjRE10VkU/view
So after getting back in my car today.... I noticed that I could make a similar noise to yours just by fiddling with the button a little.

It's as if something sticks for a second.... and then it makes the click.... but it goes away for me after the first time.....

You may want to let the car wear in for a little.... if u see the Gel in those pics... it could be an excessive amount...

maybe not though.... just a thought : )

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^ THANKS. yeah it doesn't happen all the time but i definitely can hear it. the audio file i linked makes it sounds really loud but its only because i put the mic as close as possible.

it doesn't get in the way of functionality but it's just a little annoying. i wonder if i can live with it for the next 36 months:)

i also wonder if the dealership can just quickly replace the knob (which i'm sure is the culprit) easily without having to go into the car too much.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any chance either of y'all have a picture of the command knobs computer board?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts