2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I hope I will find an answer to my problem.

About 5 months ago I became an owner of 2014 Mazda 3 Skyactiv-D. At the beginning there was no issues with the car at all but with the time I started to notice some odd sounds.

First one is rattle when I accelerate when cruising on highway, around 60-70mph. The engine starts to make some weird rattle/metallic sound when I gently press the acceleration pedal... I have left the car with the dealership and they have exchanged the turbo, but the sound is still there. Can anyone please listen to this sound and tell me if there's anything wrong with it?

Link to the recording:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1hnrnjtfwZ3

Second problem is the noise when the car is moving from stationary. It doesn't matter if it is cold or warm. Makes it in random occasions. As soon as I slowly release the clutch it will make the noise or not.

https://youtu.be/4b4HVM1DtF8

Any thoughts?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Very hard to tell but the one at speed is more like a loose heat shield on the exhaust cat.
The one from stationary is almost certainly the brakes, likely the hand brake sticking or miss adjusted. Might be rust on the rotors but did not sound quite right.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Could also be the belt tensioner. It's hydraulic, and known to leak after a while, yours is old enough that your belt is now loose enough that if you have your a/c on and you accelerate the motor a little it'll squeek. Mine is doing it now while I wait for a new tensioner to arrive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, did you mean the V-belt tensioner?

I'm going to dealership tomorrow to have a test drive with technician. I had same thoughts about the alternator/V-belt tensioner as the noise is getting louder with the RPM's

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Thanks for the reply, did you mean the V-belt tensioner?

I'm going to dealership tomorrow to have a test drive with technician. I had same thoughts about the alternator/V-belt tensioner as the noise is getting louder with the RPM's

It's either gonna be the tensioner or the water pump. Those are the only two things that will squeak like that. Alternators tend to ruh ruh ruh like an out of balance tire with the bearings going out. Way too early for a/c pump. Water pumps will make a good amount of noise on their way out. But you'd be the first water pump failure I've heard of. But with diesel it's always a little different.

·
Super Moderator
5,984 Posts
First sound - exhaust heat shield is loose
second sound - if it happens when releasing the clutch its the clutch fork where the slave cylinder is pushing on it. The spot needs a bit of grease and the noise will stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts