2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have been hanging around the site for about a year and a half now and while i found out a lot, when it came to replacing the audio system I could never find what I was looking for. I have installed a Rockford Fosgate 5 channel amplifier into the 3 and I could not be happier. This will be specifically about the amplifier install, if you have any questions about speaker installations there are many threads that are already in place.

While I was going through the forums I never found anyone who grabbed the speaker signals without the use of the pac harness. The car was almost completely brand new at the time and I was not comfortable taking apart the dash. While it is best recommended to grab signal from the headunit, I instead tapped the signal from after the TAU (located behind the glove box, you just pop it out to get to the wires). There is a downloadable service manual that I would suggest you download. After the TAU the signal goes to the speakers, but the signal is very weak (if you havent already noticed how quiet the stock system is). I tapped the signal from there and put it to my amplifier.

The pairs of speaker wires are twisted together which makes it easy to wire. I would recommend using 9 wire to do this. I cut the wires after the TAU used the 9 wire to wire them out to the amp and then 9 wired them back to the wires going to the speaker. The front speaker wires will go to both the door speakers and the tweeters, I would recommend using capacitors to reduce the amount of power going to the tweeters even if they are not stock. Also, depending on how much power you plan to push to your speakers, you may want to up the gauge from the stock wiring, my amp is not that powerful.

To get signal for the sub, I tapped the signal from the rear speakers on the input wires to the amp, tap the front signal instead as its signal is full and will provide a better alternative. I hope that this can help you out, it may not be the textbook way to do this but it was the easiest way to do this, no wire fishing through the dash or the doors. I don't have any pics as I did this over a year ago but I would be happy to answer any questions!

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
I was considering upgrading my speakers next, but I have never messed with audio in any of my vehicles and was a bit hesitant. Might have to start doing some research myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys, I want to upgrade audio system on my mazda 3 2016 non-bose. I plan to install under seat active subwoofer (Rockville RW8CA 8") and 4-channel amplifer (Rockford Fosgate R250X4) to improve quality of stock speakers. It will be my first ever installation and I need someone's help. I saw video guides, but still I feel like a nub. What I will need to best installation, Audio Control LC6i or PAC AOEM-MAZ2? What's the difference? Will stock speakers perform better with amp or I need to buy aftermarket spwaker to get the result? What about the sub, maybe is it better to install 5 channel amp? I just want to build a good audio system with clear and high quality sound. Please, guide me through my first ever installation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts