2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2008 Mazda 3 with 395,000km (original engine and transmission) she runs like a champ, I nearly rebuilt the car new struts/link arms / control arms / ball joints / steering rack with new tierods (inner + outter) / all wheels I've replaced the bearings, I just replaced the drivers CV axle, also the intermediate shaft with carrier bearing + passenger shaft and nothing has changed my issue as to different sound or feeling.

I'm having trouble finding a sound my car makes when I am heavy on acceleration only,
It doesn't matter, turning left/right/straight, if I go easy it doesn't make any sound at all and is smooth driving. Shifts perfect up/down (manual trans.) I can down shift and let her whine with high rpms no issues at all, but when I am trying to give it from a complete stop or anytime I have to move fast it does it in all gears ..

When I run the engine and the car is neautral and rev er up fast and high she runs great and doesn't replicate the sound at all.. only when giving er to leave an intersection fast or merge with traffic quickly.. my next step is to strap my camera to different areas of my car untill I find it.. unless anyone here has an idea?!?...

Sounds like the abs is trying to engage or something.. uneven wrrrwrrrwrrr with vibration in floor (sounds like from the passenger tire) but I've replaced pretty much everything on both sides. I just replaced the wheel bearing in that tire last night as well not a single change... I even put my winter tires on thinking maybe it was my old tires.. nope.. anyways I'll find the stupid sound in time .. but any opinions help.. thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The power steering pump is on the passenger side. Low fluid level maybe?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish my life was that easy. All fluid levels are up to the proper levels, even my windshield washer fluid is full(not that it has anything to do with it).. when I did my driver side CV axle I changed the transmission fluid they're wasn't any debris of metal or discoloration.. but I figured doing the CV axle, do the trans flush aswell.. anyways I gave all pulleys a yankin and everything's solid, could use a new drive belt as it hasn't been changed in 9 years, it doesn't squeak or have messed up grooves / alignment on pulleys are great, I'm planning to change that next as I have nothing left really to change, CV axles are nice n stiff (no play) tierods and steering rack is solid (no play) I did an oil change only 300km ago.. nice n clean, I'm going to strap my camera over top my drive belts then along side to watch all pulleys for play or sound?!?.. if not I'll keep strapping the camera to different locations I guess (transmission case/CV axle views).. I prefer not to let people touch my car, reason being why I haven't took it to a shop. Last time I went for an alignment the guy almost messed my tierod boots by not loosening the clamp as adjusting for alignment ... It was so twisted when I loosened the clamp it rotated twice before going to normal, had I have not looked it would have torn in about 5 driving sessions, so I won't be going back there... Anyways of any other ideas I appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I just installed a New bearing in the passenger spindle the other night freezing my butt off and it made no difference (waste of 70$ but I have fun doing it) I just strapped my camera to watch the drive belts in motion up top and below and listen for sound, did not get any red flags there, I also just strapped it on the inside view of my passenger tire / CV axle, bearing, ball joint & tierods, everything seems solid and in great working condition (it's all new so it should be) I also grabbed the tire and rocked the whole car at 12+6 on both front tires n 3+9, no sound from there or play? as for the sound on my camera and what I visually see nothing is rubbing one another but I definitely do hear it on the inside while driving even my lady sitting in the passenger seat says she feels it by her feet.. going to strap my camera to the transmission to watch both passenger axles and carrier bearing which is all new, then drivers side?.... Wish the part would just break or give me a sign other then the small one it is now.. I'll change it, just show me where you are...?!? Anyways if any other ideas. As always it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got myself a mechanics stethoscope going to jack up both sides tomorrow (secure both rear wheels) 1x jack + stand on both sides for safety and run it in gear with my brother behind wheel Incase I need emergency stop. I am going to listen and watch for the carrier bearing for any rough spots while spinning even tho it's new and didn't change my sound maybe it's a defect part/ also put the scope on the transmission for any rough or vibrations, also watch the pulley mechanism's / bearings / wobble... get him to shuffle the steering wheel back n forth as it's (driving) aswell.. untill then I'm puzzled...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still stumped.
Had to take a break from my issue due to a funeral,
Last things checked I jacked er right up, blocked rear tires and ran it. First/second/third (didn't wanna go any faster on the stands) then down shifted the gears ... Then ran it in gears rockings the steering back and forth while one of us under and one behind wheel .. we couldn't replicate the sound from the pulley system or the CV axles/ transmission/tires touching nothing..
I even popped out the drivers side bearing and replaced it so both front bearings are new and never changed the sound..
Didn't hear a single sound while it was on stands other then the engine purr like a kitty, my brother and I swapped spots half way through checking, to see if maybe I was just missing something. An extra set of eyes always helps..

Put the car back on the ground.. took er around the block and as soon as I went to accelerate to match up with traffic speed it made the sound

My brother says it sounds like a loose panel.. I touched everything shook near and around the area were hearing it from.. everything that went along the exhuast.. took all the hanging foil crap off (damaged heat shield) I emptied my glovebox... And it sounds alil rougher to me than a panel loose but who am I to say . I'm still on the hunt for the mystery sound.... When I do find the sound I certainly will post it..
any ideas are always welcome.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wheel bearings make a grinding sound upon acceleration from a dead stop that goes away at speeds above 25mph. The grinding sound reappears when the vehicle reaches 25mph when decelerating. I've been through grinding wheel bearings with both my MZ3 and also a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500.

If possible, get a recording of the car being driven and post it here. Be certain the radio and other distractions are muted and that the recording is longer than just a few seconds. You can post the recording for the rest of us to help attempt to diagnose. I've been there with odd sounds and the good fortune of someone's past experiences when I mimicked one.

You should be able to use a smart device and then upload the video to YouTube. Drop me a PM if you need assistance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
***Solved***

Well I finally figured out the issue, it was due to a worn rotor & guard and a sticky Caliper on the passenger side the rotor looked acceptable on the outside but was more worn on the inside so I replaced the caliper and both front brakes / rotors... I just took everything apart, inspected bit by bit and this is what I found, also my rock guard/dust protector was rubbing the inside of the rotor as they're was evidence of grinding so I fixed the guard aswell, luckily I caught it now as it almost grinded through hahaha, weird part is when coasting slowly or just regular driving it wouldn't grind or make the sound.. only when hard take off it did..
So all CV axles are new, rotors are new, bearings are new, steering rack and tierods are new and caliper, I discovered I need a new ball joint which will be replaced next weekend. The whole front end is basically new so untill the next problem I'ma keep on rolling. Thanks for all inputs. ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts