2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 iSport with a few mods
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Mazda 3 iSport
Has anyone installed any butyl rubber sheets? How much of a difference does it make?
How about sound insulating foam?
At 124,000 miles my car is damn loud. It’s annoying and I have a custom audio installation I’d love to get more out of. I just want to have some sort of first hand experience from another 3 owner.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I used the aluminum backed sheets, along with the foam, on my front doors. Helped eliminate the boom in the bass, and increased mid- bass response. Definitely an improvement, especially when both are used together.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I urge you to view this: www.sounddeadenershowdown.com and this:
. The latter has been done by an acoustic engineer... He has a youtube and goes by the "handle" "keep_hope_alive" . Note the underscores instead of the hyphens. The former outfit is no longer active... he has retired - but the site has tons of good info on it. and it has a Mazda3 four door hatchback build log... Lotsa photos in that... (and here is that: Mazda 3 4 door Hatchback 2014- Build Log | Sound Deadener Showdown).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I literally just started this project.

I did the front doors with butyl last week and noticed an immediate improvement in vibration. I some pieces on the door skins, a piece on the plastic “vapor barrier” and then some on the door panel around the woofer.

Just finished adding foam to the door skins. Didn’t notice as much of an audible improvement but the knock test proved amazing.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would suggest you read the theory... in the SoundDeadenerShowdown website. It speaks to three or four elements of exterior noise reduction. i) CLD tiles.. Constrained Layer Damping (I THINK it is) tiles quell the oil-drumming, the vibration of the door skins. Then MLV - Mass Loaded Vinyl... are sheets that are "hung" behind the door "cards" (the old term for the interior trim / plastic / vinyl pieces... the "finish" you see from inside of the car). The trouble is that the MLV that is "hung" has to be isolated from the sheet metal you see in your last picture. So, a thin layer of CCF (closed cell foam) is placed right on top of that sheet metal, and then MLV then goes next, and then finally the door card is hung back where it is supposed to be (with its clips).

The fourth level... is using acoustic ceiling tile wrapped in 1 mil plastic... and taped in place. That is placed inside of the door. (This process is detailed by "Keep_Hope_Alive"; by comparison, SoundDeadenerShowdown uses Hydrophobic foam, instead. The latter is much more expensive, BTW). You may wonder why the ceiling acoustic panels are wrapped in only 1 mil plastic. Obviously, so it does not get waterlogged.... but 1 mil plastic is invisible to the low-frequency sound energy that we are trying to dampen. It is OPAQUE to high frequency noise... but that noise is above the audible range of humans, so NP.

I suggest you read, here... www.sounddeadenershowdown.com... and per the attached-below graphic, scroll-down to where the hyperlinks are embedded.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts