2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting with the new Mazda CX-5 which is discussed in the below Mazda's article, Soul Red Metallic will be changing to Soul Red Crystal , which according to Mazda has 20-percent greater color saturation and 50-percent more depth than its predecessor, and Soul Red Crystal adds another level of vividness and allure to an already stunning paint choice.

No word yet when the Mazda's 3's Soul Red Metallic will change over. Perhaps starting with the 2018 models? Here is the Mazda official release on the new Soul Red Crystal paint re its properties and usage on the new CX-5.

Note: In the below Mazda article were three pictures showing the new Red, but neither I nor others who looked at them with me could tell the difference on our computer (but maybe easy to do so in real life).

Media.Mazda said:
One of the most powerful ways a designer can create emotion is through color, and there is no bolder color in the palate than red. Deep inside our subconscious, red symbolizes passion, aggressiveness and importance – fitting for the all-new 2017 Mazda CX-5.

But not just any red will bring to life the beauty and sophistication of the all-new CX-5. For 2017, an advance version of Soul Red, called Soul Red Crystal, will debut with the all-new CX-5. Soul Red Crystal expresses vibrancy and energy with an increased depth and gloss, while exemplifying the beauty and sophistication of KODO—Soul of Motion design.

“Color design and form have to work together,” said Teresa Spafford, design manager for colors, materials and finishes, and advanced design planning at Mazda North American Operations. “There needs to be harmony between them. Color design and paint formulation can actually hide designers’ subtle work. Mazda is at its best in controlling that motion and color and seeing the design come out.”

Official Mazda Red Paint Soul Red Crystal picture​

With 20-percent greater color saturation and 50-percent more depth than its predecessor, Soul Red Crystal adds another level of vividness and allure to an already stunning paint choice. But to achieve this new paint, a new process was necessary.

The paint is applied in a three-step process that combines high-quality techniques and enhanced attention to detail. Soul Red Crystal features extremely thin aluminum flakes, all made to a uniform size. The consistency of the paint was enhanced and contributes to a uniform coat. Mazda also looked to reduce the time it takes for the paint to dry; a technique was implemented to shrink the volume of the paint, which contributes to a decrease in carbon emissions and a quicker paint job.

New Mazda 2017 CX5

Mazda’s innovation doesn’t end with the paint, they have also developed one of the most environmentally friendly automotive painting systems in the world, thanks to Aqua-tech and its innovative Takuminuri painting techniques

The Aqua-tech Paint System uses a water-based paint and application technique that in turn reduces the length of the painting process. In doing so, it reduces high volatile organic compounds by 78 percent and carbon emissions by 17 percent.

“As an automaker, we have an obligation to not only make high-quality vehicles, but also reduce our impact on the environment,” said Kiyotaka Shobuda, senior managing executive officer at Mazda Corporation. “Our painting technologies, which have helped KODO design gain recognition worldwide, represent Mazda’s efforts to meet that obligation.”

This attention to continuous improvement is also reflected in paint application. Takuminuri painting techniques are used to apply clear, translucent and reflective coats in a simple three-layer structure. The result is a rich, high-quality paint that looks like it has been hand-sprayed by a master craftsman.

“Moving forward,” Shobuda said, “we’ll continue to develop innovative technologies, provide customers around the world with high-quality cars, contribute both to preserving the environment and enriching society.”

Mazda’s KODO—Soul of Motion design language aims to invoke strong emotions, and Mazda designer’s mastery of complex body colors that defy convention will continue to bring to life the beauty and sophistication of its cars.
All-New CX-5 Will Have You Seeing Red - Soul Red Crystal - Inside Mazda

·
Registered
79 Posts
The regular soul red looks so good! I bet they'll end up charging $400 extra instead of $300 for the new and improved soul red "crystal".

·
Registered
988 Posts
Thanks for the article! Very interesting information indeed :).

I think that the Soul Red "Crystal" looks way better than than the regular Soul Red, but at least for me it does not justify the extra 300$ or 400$, taking into consideration that in Israel they charge you 800$ LOL....

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have yet to see the Soul Red Crystal, but based on what hand polishing @stevenvillatoro did on his car (below), my initial reaction is that if you like a beautiful red, this is it.

His car is my goal for mine. I know he took 19 hours to make it shine like this, but the results are beyond outstanding in my opinion. I will be doing his exact hand polishing technique on mine, and hope mine looks even 90% as good as his. I think of his Soul Red as the "gold standard" in detailing a red car. And I can only imagine how it pops even more in direct sunshine when we can see its metallic flakes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Wow 19 hours! But you gotta do whatever you can to make your baby shine! :) In the end the finishing result will make you more than happy and proud of your vehicle. People don't understand that it is not just a car, it is "OUR" car! :)

But my question to you @Road Trip is, will you detail your car after receiving it? Since I think the car dealership details the car properly before the customer receives it.
@stevenvillatoro, Great work, do you mind sharing the process for this excellent look, products and etc.. :)

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already in writing in my sales agreement, that my Mazda dealer "will not touch, nor wash the exterior of the car, and will not install even a screw to affix the front license plate grille frame nor by any other means, install the front LP frame itself."

I have seen too many dealers take a brand new car, have their lot person use dirty washing rags and regular towels and turn a good factory paint into a swirled, surface-scratched mess.

I will take it home as it has arrived at the dealer, dirty from transport, and do my typical three day process of new car paint cleaning, correction and protection. (No time for me to post it here now, but I will double back and add into this post, or a new one if more appropriate, each and every step I will personally be doing to my car.)

·
Registered
988 Posts
Amazing! We live with the idea that car dealerships handles the cars extremely well upon delivery but it is false! If I would have known this I would have done the same as you sir, very clever to put everything in writing too. :)

But I definitely understand you , this way you feel you have total control of the process! Everything is under your supervision and if mistakes happen you know that they happened because of you and not because of so many called "professionals" which didn't cared enough to be extremely careful and attentive when treating and handling "your" car for the first time...

For example when I received my car(almost 5 months ago) and cleaned it 3 days after I found a screw under the bottom of my seat, go figure! lol

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As asked for above, here are the steps I take to paint clean, prepare and protect my new vehicles. Lots of work, and not suggesting anyone follow them. Also there are some many equivalent, super-quality products that others choose to use, i.e, I have just listed those that have worked well for me.

For me, the overriding rules for car cleaning and protection IMO are, first, it is not the exact products we use but the processes, and second, every time we put a wash mitt or anything else onto our vehicles, we need to think/use light pressure . We can always apply medium pressure on a second pass, but hard to reverse damage caused by one tiny spec of dirt in our wash/polish mitts if the first time we applied too much pressure. Lastly, if we drop anything on the ground, please do not try and wash it on the spot and continue using it, and for that reason, I always have extra micro-fiber mitts, cloths, polishing pads, before I start every job.

Paint Preparation/Protection I will do on my upcoming Mazda 3;

1) Wash with Dawn Ultra, using new microfiber wash mitt, foam gun for extra protection, and two-bucket wash method -- each bucket with grit guard);

2) Apply bug and tar removal (IF needed), let soak for several minutes; hose off; dry to 90% with high pressure air hose;

3) Apply Iron X (to remove imbedded iron particles in paint); hose off; dry with air pressure hose to 90%, then only need a few microfibers to gently finish the drying.

For those who doubt that iron particles become imbedded in paint, with many new car's arriving that way, here's a 1:25 video on just wheels, though another spot on cars that we find lots of imbedded-in-our-paint iron is the rear of the car (I do the whole car to be safe). All of the purple on the following video is from iron particles.

https://youtu.be/yeYGzWQ7_r0

4) Remove surface bonded contaminants with Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine mitt, applied with AutoGlide (Process is equivalent to clay bar but quicker); I only use on glass and painted surfaces.

5) Re-wash (as per # 1 above);

6) Hand polish, but first apply to all "sharp edges" and onto all rubber/vinyl which next to paint, masking tape. I always/only use "automotive masking tape," either CarPro or 3M's --as regular masking tape can leave hard to remove tape "adhesive." I hand polish using Adam's blue hand-polish pads:

BLUE Hexgrip Car Polish | Applicator Pads | Auto Detail

I use Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (which despite its name, is really a fine polish.)There are many other high quality, fine-cut polishes, including Meguiar's # 205, Adam's Blue Revive; Griot's Fine Hand Polish (and tons more).

If you subscribe to the belief that Mazda's paint is soft and/or thin, and unless you are a professional detailer, I would only hand polish. Machine polishing is, IMO, risky unless you know exactly what you are doing and are extremely experienced using a machine. And as per @stevenvillatoro's car above, he only hand polished his -- and look at his great results.

7) Apply Wolfgang Perfekt (2X) to 100% of car --to remove all polish and tape residue;

8) Apply nano-ceramic coating -- specifically Wolfang Uber Ceramic (at this time only on the parts of car not next clear-bra'd);

9) Take car to have front fascia, entire hood, front of front fenders, front air dam/splitter, headlights, and front sides of mirrors, all clear urethane paint protected (what some call "invisible shields"); my pro installer uses SunTek brand which is the shiniest in our opinion, and also easier to apply than 3M and XPEL.

10) Re-wash after drive home (as per # 10; then Uber Ceramic nanocoating on top of just SunTek'd areas.

11) Drive and smile!!!

I definitely do not do this who process every time I wash, but much of it once every two years. However, every time I do wash the car, I do all noted in # 1 above.

Note:Sources for above speciality products include: Amazon, AutoGeek.com, Autopia.com (the latter two are both car detailing forums -- with their own stores, and many auto parts stores. Many, many other excellent sources, companies and products.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Road Trip must be my car soul mate!

My concours days are over, and I've become more liberal and lazy (ok, pragmatic) with my routine. Still, I never let a dealer clean my new cars during PDI.

Thanks for the compliments on my work!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Road Trip:

Did you mean "Wolfgang Perfekt" instead of "Protekt"?

Just bought a new M3 GT last week. I'm wanting to do a thorough cleaning. I'm not in the same league as you and others here it seems but I do want to do a good job in cleaning and waxing the car. I'll likely follow your guidelines in here to the degree that I can.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes; thanks for catching my mistake. [I have now fixed my post.] I use Perfekt. It is terrific at removing the last traces of polish, grease and similar.

However, the most important thing to remove that I found in my new Mazda, was that there were traces of the adhesive Mazda use to hold on the white protective shipping coverings that comes on the hood and the roof. Perfekt will remove it also.

How exciting about your new car!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts