2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
I haven't seen that yet, but thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yeah this has already been discussed somewhere on the forum a long time ago. I don't quite remember the outcome of that thread on the matter of the subject and the Oil Catch Can, but it went something like it isn't a huge necessity.

A few members also noted a catch can is more useful on a turbo engine.

I'll try locate that thread.

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-mazda-3-skyactiv-engine-performance/89850-catch-can.html

Couldn't find anything but that. I guess I read about it somewhere else.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Thanks for the post. Very informative and good to know.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
This is more DI than Maxda-specific. Walnut blasting seems to be the only thorough way of decoking the head when that time comes. Aside from praying, the best we, DI engine owners, can do is regular maintenance & oil changes at closer than factory recommended intervals. At least, these can provide peace of mind....false or real? Time will tell.
I've seen my intake & PCV valves at close to 8k km when we were hunting down a lean code which was caused by a pinched PCV O-ring probably from assembly. Everything was pretty clean. Nowhere close to those paranoia-inducing pics.:)
Things we can't control....I resort to praying.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll worry about it when I throw a code. I'll have to check the details of my warranty, but I got 7yr/84mi for no extra charge over the standard warranty. If it it covers the engine and this really is a problem, hopefully I can get the dealer to fix it under warranty.

I haven't seen the inside of the factory box thing (except the pictures in the link), but couldn't one just get some low density foam (like some intake pre-filters) to shove it in the cavity? It would provide more surface area for non-air particles to get caught, but shouldn't restrict airflow enough to cause a CEL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts