2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been researching the different drop in panel filters. Think I have it boiled down to the JBR but had a couple questions..

1) unlike a cone filter where you can clean it without contaminating the inside with the dirty water, panel filter seems like it would be hard to clean.... so I guess basically I'm just asking how do you clean the panel filter because their website suggests you swirl it around in a bucket of soap water which seems like it would contaminate the "clean" side.

2) their site says it filters down to 0.1 micron... what I can't find out is what the OEM Mazda filter does. Seems like many people feel the Mazda filter is top notch.

Fyi, as an interesting side note, my Mazda with a 2.0 engine uses the same oem filter as my Mazda 2.5.... so if the filter flows enough for the 2.5, seems like it has room to spare with the 2.0.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another interesting note..based solely on the image, the jbr drop in has less pleats than the oem and afe but they appear to be thicker. They also claim 200% more airflow.

So I guess in this case having less is better? Afe only claims 33% more.

I could believe 33% but 200% is magic :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I find that more airflow from the same size filter usually means less filtration capability......
I would agree. They are stating it filters 99% down to 0.1 micron, so I can't see how they filter less.

And jbr does claim they worked with k&n and my understanding is that k&n bought aem so being similar would make sense.

I don't understand why these companies don't make drop ins sort of like this...http://afepower.com/afe-power-31-80209-magnum-flow-pro-dry-s-air-filter

We have plenty of room in our stock airbox and then I could believe a claim like 200% more because it is providing more surface area and depth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts