2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Recently I have been experiencing rough starting issues for the car. Sometimes it just starts normally, but sometimes it just have a hard time starting up,which will struggle to get up to 1000rpm and stalls. Its a 2010 mazda 3. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Video for the issue: IMG_4662 - Streamable

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you read any fault codes? Code readers are relatively cheap if you haven't got one.
Thanks for the reply, but I didn't notice any engine light comes on after starting up the car. In fact, I never see the engine light come up before. I thought the faulty code only got detected if the engine light comes up. Please let me know if my knowledge is correct here. I have replaced the battery last year, so I think it could be related to fuel related issues. But again, I am not sure what's going on here. I probably will try to replace the spark plug first see if the issue get solved.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I didn't notice any engine light comes on after starting up the car. In fact, I never see the engine light come up before. I thought the faulty code only got detected if the engine light comes up. Please let me know if my knowledge is correct here. I have replaced the battery last year, so I think it could be related to fuel related issues. But again, I am not sure what's going on here. I probably will try to replace the spark plug first see if the issue get solved.
I don't know about Mazda's but I have MB and GM vehicles that throw and store fault codes without the engine light coming on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, but I think I will first try to get the spark plug replaced and see if the issue get solved.
The reasons are listed below:
  • I have read the owner's manual which said spark plugs are recommended to be replaced at 75000 miles, which the car is at 94000 miles right now. (video was taken a bit long time ago, which is around 2 years ago when I first brought the car from the original owner.)
  • When I first started the car, I can smell gasoline coming out from the exhaust. ( pretty strong smell).
  • I also sometimes experienced delay acceleration responses when I pressed the gas paddles. When I pressed the gas paddle, sometimes the car will hesitated and accelerated a little later (0.5 sec I believe) after I pressed the gas paddle. (its like a sudden acceleration after a delay, not smooth)
  • Battery just got replaced last year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clogged cat or stretched timing chain/bad tensioner.
I have replaced the timing belt before this video was taken, but I don't think I have replaced the timing chain. Are these parts the same thing? I am not sure about clogged catalytic converter though, never see weird smoke coming out of the exhaust, just gasoline smell when the car first got started. But I will try to ask a technician to do a check up if possible.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have replaced the timing belt before this video was taken, but I don't think I have replaced the timing chain. Are these parts the same thing? I am not sure about clogged catalytic converter though, never see weird smoke coming out of the exhaust, just gasoline smell when the car first got started. But I will try to ask a technician to do a check up if possible.
There is no timning belt, its a chain and the tensioners and guides have to be replaced at the same time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts