2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

soft brake pedal

23K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  dunston 
#1 ·
i press on the brake pedal and it seems very soft.feels like it goes almost to the floor.car stops fine,but doesn't feel right.any thoughts before the trip to the dealer.

#2 ·
Check the master cylinder to see if its sealed. Check brake fluid levels. Bleed brakes. Then see the dealership!

Reactions: merrimac1
#4 ·
brake fluid is low

#5 ·
Mine has been soft since I got it.....kind of a spongy feeling, but fluids are all good.

#6 ·
Soft or firm may be a matter of perspective. Compared to my wife's Toyota SUV and my old Subaru wagon, the brakes are much more firm. In fact, the brakes on my 3 are some of the most responsive brakes I've felt in a while.

#7 ·
when does it travel to the floor?
is there a drop in pedal?
is there any abnormal noise or change in brake feel depending on rpm?

#8 ·
If you are still under warranty, take it to a Mazda dealer and request a test drive with a tech driving and you riding shotgun....he will have driven enough 3s to know if it doesn't feel right.....

#9 ·
It might be worth the time to test drive a couple others on the lot yourself too. You wouldn't even have to leave the dealership if its big enough. Just a couple of trips around the lot should let you get a good feel.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Each car should have different feel for the brakes, but it should never feel like it is going to the floor! If all the other 3s you drove felt the same then do what bothers suggested and get the steel brake lines which should give you a more consistent tighter pedal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.