2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 months my 22 M3 turbo sounds like a shit box symphony with the dash and door squeaks and rattles not to mention the weird thud coming from the rear of the car when slowing down and turning. Is there a list of TSB for any of this or is Mazda ignoring the issue like most dealers when you bring the car in?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
After 3 months my 22 M3 turbo sounds like a shit box symphony with the dash and door squeaks and rattles not to mention the weird thud coming from the rear of the car when slowing down and turning. Is there a list of TSB for any of this or is Mazda ignoring the issue like most dealers when you bring the car in?
Curious about that thud on turns. Someone had their rear diff replaced due to lack of spacers. I get more of a pop than a thud.

Rattles are something else of course. I usually discover that I'm the cause of them one way or another half the time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome to the Rattle Club! Our car -- '19 3 Sport GT/Premium (Canadian spec; Japan-built) -- has been plagued by rattles/squeaks/assorted oddities and production defects since new (May 2019). On-going saga. Dealer has been great trying to rectify, but really we're now resigned to this. Example: defective HUD was replaced, but this requires removal/re-assembly of virtually the entire dash. HUD rattle (intensely irritating squeaking styrofoam-like noise) is gone, but we now have some nice new dash rattles to take up the slack.

The only saving grace: we have the nice Bose system to turn up and drown the racket with music.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB in White, 2021 Mazda3 Turbo HB in Black, 2007 RX-8 Sport
58 Posts
…or is Mazda ignoring the issue like most dealers when you bring the car in?
Pretty much this. No TSB and they are unlikely to do anything. Even very obvious issues they will hem and haw about fixing, in my experience.

This is my #1 complaint in all the product surveys they send. No new vehicle, let alone one claiming to a premium, should have the number of fit and finish issues that the 3 has and a dealer network so hell bent on not doing anything about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It will only get worse, so start looking to trade it in for something better. The car looks pretty but underneath the curves and pretty color is a really crappy car.
I think calling Mazda 3 "really crappy car" is pushing it a bit too far and rattles are generally overblown as a problem. I think almost all the cars i have driven, and was driven in, had some rattles.

It seems like many other brands are suffering from rattles in new cars from what I've read. It seems to me that brands that strive to be more premium like have (over) complicated cabin designs with many different interconnected elements and materials.

Mine is not terrible so far, I managed to fix few annoying ones. Also, roads are just terrible around here (like in many parts of the world), cars cannot be completely rigid, they twist, have torsion. We drive them in all kinds of weather, humidity and air temperatures. It can't be perfect all the time and forever.

Granted, OP may have legitimate issue with his car with that thud from the rear, not gonna argue that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So far I guess I’m the lucky one with rattles and squeaks, the only rattle I’ve noticed has been sunglasses in the overhead holder. I will comment on my last new vehicle (2019 f250) it did have a rattle at first, took it back and they “couldn’t find the problem” but in the process of looking they removed the trim for the back side of the passenger mirror mount and fixed the problem. I assume it was not properly installed from the assembly line.
I own an old 01 4Runner that has been through the wringer that is pretty much rattle free, fit and finish it is one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned, better than other Toyota’s in fact. With the glass headlights vs most others having plastic the 4Runner seems to be more “premium”, it will be what I measure the Mazda up against, I’ve been around other people’s older Mazda’s and the fit and finish was pretty high (not on the encobox cars like a glc though).

·
Registered
391 Posts
So far I guess I’m the lucky one with rattles and squeaks, the only rattle I’ve noticed has been sunglasses in the overhead holder. I will comment on my last new vehicle (2019 f250) it did have a rattle at first, took it back and they “couldn’t find the problem” but in the process of looking they removed the trim for the back side of the passenger mirror mount and fixed the problem. I assume it was not properly installed from the assembly line.
I own an old 01 4Runner that has been through the wringer that is pretty much rattle free, fit and finish it is one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned, better than other Toyota’s in fact. With the glass headlights vs most others having plastic the 4Runner seems to be more “premium”, it will be what I measure the Mazda up against, I’ve been around other people’s older Mazda’s and the fit and finish was pretty high (not on the encobox cars like a glc though).
I would not say lucky.. Most Mazda 3's have little to no rattles! Myself included.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2019 HB. I had a annoying rattle in the outboard AC vents. Vehicle was just a month or two short of it's 3 yr warranty. Took it to the Dealer (Cutter Mazda of Hawaii - nicest people ever). They could not detect the rattle. But noted it in my service file. 2 weeks out of warranty I took it back for service and asked to take a tech out for a test drive. He confirmed the rattle (after I had him drive on a dumpy road). Part(s) were ordered and a few weeks later the outer AC vents were replaced. No cost.
Point being: Not all dealers are scum bags. Now my caddy dealership.... scumbags!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I found that the cup holders having 4 moveable supports in each one rattled, have you checked that, also I've lost a few quarters down through them, those are probably rattling too. Are you sure it's not stuff in your glove box or your console storage that's rattling?
I mean my 19 has a few rattles, but only on a rough patch of road, and that's more due to the stiff suspension, which is why the 3 is a such a good driving car, you feel the road in the wheel. If you want a plush ride, get an altima or something, it's like driving a couch, soft, bouncy and leans hard in the corners. No thanks, I'll take the 3.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found that the cup holders having 4 moveable supports in each one rattled, have you checked that, also I've lost a few quarters down through them, those are probably rattling too. Are you sure it's not stuff in your glove box or your console storage that's rattling?
I mean my 19 has a few rattles, but only on a rough patch of road, and that's more due to the stiff suspension, which is why the 3 is a such a good driving car, you feel the road in the wheel. If you want a plush ride, get an altima or something, it's like driving a couch, soft, bouncy and leans hard in the corners. No thanks, I'll take the 3.
I was experiencing rattles from the cupholder area which I also attributed to the springs inside the moveable supports. However, it turned out that the supports were not the issue; rather it was the SOS module which is located beside the cupholder in the passenger footwell. This was fixed by the dealer (they've lined the module with felt) and so far the issue has been resolved.

As far as other rattles are concerned; the HUD rattles slightly (pushing on the left upper corner makes it stop), and the speaker cover behind the screen seems to intermitently rattle (although I've put foam inbetween the screen gap). When I find some time, I'll put a rubber or foam "gasket" inbetween the HUD lens and its cover, and take the speaker cover out and put foam/felt on the contact points (someone on this forum has already put a good how-to tutorial for this).

All of this being said; the issues are only noticeable on rough roads and I attribute this to the car being fairly quiet which makes rattles far more noticeable.

Cheers!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The noise coming from the rear is only when slowing to turn and then getting on the gas. It sounds like a bass kickdrum "thud".
I had the dealer look at the dash and they were completely worthless in fixing any of the rattles. Ive spent months on other cars fixing rattles usually through removing suspect interior panels and test driving. Then reinstalling with some type of felt or foam tape between contacting surfaces. That's usually after the car is a few years old not months. If the market wasn't so bad I would trade it in immediately. The transmission shifts and throttle response is very crude in my experience, slow downshifts, unresponsive part throttle etc.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The noise coming from the rear is only when slowing to turn and then getting on the gas. It sounds like a bass kickdrum "thud".
I had the dealer look at the dash and they were completely worthless in fixing any of the rattles. Ive spent months on other cars fixing rattles usually through removing suspect interior panels and test driving. Then reinstalling with some type of felt or foam tape between contacting surfaces. That's usually after the car is a few years old not months. If the market wasn't so bad I would trade it in immediately. The transmission shifts and throttle response is very crude in my experience, slow downshifts, unresponsive part throttle etc.
In theory at least that could be the diff. That's about when I notice it too sometimes, and I'm thinking if there is a spacer issue, then maybe that's when engaging the diff can cause a thud. Purely spitballing, but does anyone think if I lift up the rear, you might be able to feel a loose differential, or is opening it the only way you would know?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a new 2022 mazda3. After 500 miles on the odometer, mine is also rattling from the dashboard area. Brought it to the dealer, and service advisor advised me this is a common problem with Mazda3's. He says he needs to take apart the dash board to investigate the rattle, and that can weaken the clips, and can often make the problem worse. I told him to fix it anyway.. we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 AWD AT
279 Posts
I would wait if you can live with that rattle for a while; my car also has some rattles but some of them faded out over the years and others came up.
I think also is tricky to get the dash out and not replace those clips as it could be a source of even more rattles in the future (make sure the dealer doesn't scratches in any way the instrument cluster glass as it seems very prone to scratches).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts