2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Woke up to 13 inches of snow on ground, and it's still coming down. I live on a hill about 700 feet above city, no plows up here, I'll probably be stuck for at least 4 or 5 days... One of those days I wish I had a garage

Reactions: pcurve and Dittobox

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Living the same snow pretty close to you @darvetis. Are we sure that is not the 2019 next-generation, Mazda 3 disguised mule under its camo?

·
Working Class Hero
3,625 Posts
Wow. Weather anomalies ftl! So, coming from a Chicago native, my question would concern how often this happens there. I can't imagine it's very often.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow. Weather anomalies ftl! So, coming from a Chicago native, my question would concern how often this happens there. I can't imagine it's very often.
This much snowfall at one time is rare indeed. However, we have had more snow events than usual lately. This will be the second time this winter that it's snowed enough to strand me (and that time, we only received around 3 inches).

Last time this much snow fell (it's been at least 5 years I think), I ran out of food after 3 days and had to hike down to OHSU (the hospital here on pill hill) for my meals. Eventually the snow/ ice melted enough on the hilly side streets in my neighborhood and I was able to get out.

I'm sure the same thing will happen this time, I'm going to lose a lot of work because of this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live in MI. We're having our 2nd non-Winter (with the exception of a couple of short stretches with moderate snowfall and single-digit temps). One of the local news networks mentioned that we've swapped Winters with Portland. It is raining here, now. The coming couple of weeks have lots of rain in the forecast, but not much snow.

This is all because my son and I got new XC ski equipment and brand new snow tires last year for the Dieselgate VW that we are scheduled to turn back in next month. Maybe we jinxed your Winter, too. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The temps are above freezing and the rain is falling. The snow and ice are finally melting off the side streets here in the hills above Portland. Haven't been able to drive out of here for 7 days, going to make an attempt later this evening.

Most kids around the city were probably happy however, they ended up with an unexpected week long vacation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here in Northern New York we received a bit of ice overnight, but the General Altimax on my car handles it quite well! Not sure how well they would do in anything over 7 inches though. Good luck digging out.

·
Registered
510 Posts
how lucky. it's summertime now and i'd give anything to be in that winter.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
We all know how just 50 miles can bring about completely different weather, for while Portland is in the 40's today, with even a few brief minutes of sun, just 45 miles east in Cascade Locks they are suffering from the last two days of literally 2" of freezing rain that has created havoc in that community -- and the primary east/west interstate, I-84 remains closed due to that ice for the second straight day.

I live 60 miles south of Portland and our 8" of snow and 1/4" of freezing rain that stayed with us for over a week, has finally melted.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't make it up my SE Portland Hill the last few days. Glad the snow and Ice has melted.
I have Winter tires on mine right now and it helps with traction a lot.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
For those who live in snow/ice-challenged areas, I have found the 18" winter tires for my Mazda 3, Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's (NH 8's) While $210 each at Discount Tire, they will get me where I want, through 8" of snow, freezing rain, ice or whatever, with their 200 specially cushioned, special shaped studs. I will run Michelin A/S 3+ 9/10 months of the year, the Hakkapeliitta's the remaining 2/3 months we get ice. I too had a car ice stuck for the last 10 days (thankfully in our garage), and am not going through that again. Thankfully we were able to get around in the WRX. But as there are two of us who actively and often get out, want to be able to use the Mazda 3 in 99% of our weather.

https://youtu.be/PddyzHgQufI

https://youtu.be/8sCrinRCs-c

Betting, but have not personally confirmed, that they NH 8's are also available in 16'''s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts