2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Snapped wheel stud..ughh

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  CalicoNC 
#1 ·
Like the title says. I snapped a wheel stud trying to change a flat tire. Im guessing the previous installer torqued the lug nut too tight for me to remove correctly. Who knows, but does anyone know where to purchase the studs? Is it a dealer only item or could you pick up a "universal" stud from somewhere? How hard it it to replace?

#2 ·
The broken stud probably was a result of a "mechanic" using air tools set for 18-wheeler torque values. I do my own for that very reason. Soft alloy wheels suffer too. So do drivers, when they find the shorty tire tools don't provide enough leverage to remove the wheel nut without developing a hernia in the breakdown lane.

#3 ·
Most auto parts stores carry replacement wheel studs. About replacing the broken one, you could due it yourself if you are mechanically include. Most of the time, you have to remove the wheel hub, all depends if there is enough room behind the hub to drive out the broken stud and install the new one. Or, ask around some of the repair shops to see if they do this service. Good luck.

#6 ·
It might be, but I feel like that's just asking for trouble.

And yeah on a car this new snapping the stud is a result of the lugs being over torqued for sure. This is why I like doing my own maintenance. If I get new tires, I just take them the wheels and refuse to let them even touch my car.

Only way I'll know it's done right is if I do it myself with my torque wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.