2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

SMS read and reply

Tags
read reply sms
59K views 52 replies 32 participants last post by  Anderfrank 
#1 ·
I have the 14' S Touring model and can't seem to figure out the read and reply to text messages feature. I've checked the manuals and couldn't find anything (sorry if I missed it). Appreciate the help guys, thanks!

#7 ·
Any iphone 4s and newer running the ios 7 supports bluetooth map profile which is what the mazda 3 infotainment uses for text and email. Also from what I read, it only lets you access the text menu if you recieve a text on the iphone or something. Its a bit weird.

#9 · (Edited)
Finally got txt messages working on my phone, it sometimes works with emails too. It only started happening after I left my car with the dealership for those issues that were happening. (Need to check my version)

I did have to go to bluetooth on my phone, and then click on the little info button at the far right in the bluetooth screen and turn on notifications.

For some reason my car won't save my phone as phone only and no music. but ill reserve my comments til the next update.

#12 ·
possible fix?

I was having the same issue with my iPhone 5s for about the first week that I had it. I went on a long trip and plugged my phone is via USB (BT was still paired) and a text alert came up! after that, I seemed to not have any issues with receiving text alerts over just BT.

I didn't have to do any thing special, but something about using the phone over USB for a while seemed to do the trick. Maybe worth a try?

#20 ·
I do not believe iOS supports this or if it does Apple will not let 3rd parties perform this function.

#26 ·
Brand new Droid Maxx user here. I know I have the latest bluetooth capability with my phone and what not, but I can't seem to get the system to work.

I have made sure all the right settings are checked on the car, and from the few limited options I have on my phone's bluetooth menu, I'm pretty sure everything is set there. I receive voice notification from the car saying I have a text, but when I tell it to read it, it goes silent and then cancels out. I also cannot import my inbox to the car or receive e-mails.

Any other Android user running into this issue?

#27 ·
I have the Nexus 4 - and everything works with the infotainment center except for viewing / listening to text messages. I think this has to do with my security settings, since I have work e-mail lock my phone down.

HOWEVER, I do receive a notification that I have a text, and who it's from. I basically just use it as a quick 'to-do' list when I reach my destination......or long red light (please don't flame me).

#35 · (Edited)
Weird thing happened today. I've been enjoying the SMS functionality for awhile now but today I saw emails pop up on the infotainment screen for the first time. The car was able to display the subject, sender and time of each email as well as read its contents. And this applied to emails from both the native iOS mail app and the Gmail app from Google. It was kind of nice but I can see how it would quickly become either an annoying distraction or turn into white noise with any decent size volume of emails.

Nothing changed recently except I upgraded to iOS 7.1.1 a few days ago. However, this is the first occurance of this, ever. It seems bizzare.

#37 ·
I know mazda is very concerned about safety but having the system read text/emails is kinda annoying. I dont see how the driver reading a line or two is any different than reading whats on the screen already. I know they wont change it but i just wanted to rant for a minute.

#40 ·
Finally fixed my issue with the Nexus 5 and Mazda 3 2014. I was getting notifications but download failed.

Finally found this post: SMS Messages will not download! - Page 9 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

I deleted all the message history on my phone (in hangouts).
Sent myself one message from my wife's phone.
Went out to the car - started it - waited til the Bluetooth connected
Went to the Phone and pressed download messages ...and IT WORKED!

Hope it helps some of you. Guess the phone is trying to download the entire history and eventually times out.

#49 ·
I have a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4.
Ever since updating to Version 29 I lost the ability to read/listen to text messages on my Mazda3 iGT. I've tried archiving and deleting texts, resetting blue tooth settings on my car and phone, and restoring the Mazda3 back to factory settings, but nothing has helped. It's really frustrating to lose the text messaging ability. I loved that it would read an incoming text to me while driving. E-mail has never worked for me.

On a side note, my wife's HTC One M8 works perfectly with the car's text messaging system. I don't know if e-mail is working for her.

I don't know what else to do other than wait for a new update to the Infotainment system. I don't want V.31, because it disables Wi-Fi and from what I've read doesn't provide much if anything in terms of stability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.