2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a trick from shifting out of first gear from second gear quickly without making the car jump all over the place?
I tend to have to wait nearly a whole second while the RPM's to drop almost 1.5k before its a smooth shift into second, the ratios are so far apart.
Pulling out into a tight spot in traffic is almost always a nightmare.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you are at dead stop and not releasing slowly the clutch,yes, is not that good, but if the car is rolling still, you won't damage the clutch.
I start in second gear when tires won't grip on ice or snow, specially on ramps.
If the car jerks when changing gears do you think that is good?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are at dead stop and not releasing slowly the clutch,yes, is not that good, but if the car is rolling still, you won't damage the clutch.
I start in second gear when tires won't grip on ice or snow, specially on ramps.
If the car jerks when changing gears do you think that is good?

Like I said though I wait for the RPMs to match second gear, so It only jerks if don't wait long enough and at this point I just shift as soon as I am free to do so. My point is that takes nearly ages for those RPMs to drop into the correct range because the gearing ratio, and that sometimes can me in a bad situation. Living in Florida I don't get icy roads or snow, nor do I have any hills anywhere close :laugh2:

·
Registered
74 Posts
First gear throw in my car is short but car never jerks in second, matter of fact it doesn't in any gear. I'm driving stick for 28 years and I have never burned out the clutch.
You would probably need to adjust your driving style at what the car is telling you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Huh. Same here.. Bought Mazda 3BL (FL) 2.2 diesel 185hp. All the gears are perfect, but 2nd is killing me. When it is cold, can't put it normally (oil changed), when warm it is much better (but still not perfect as others). Will try to find someone (nobody wants to help me) who can adjust my gear linkages. Or i heard that linkages metal holder under bonnet can be bend a bit, also that shifters bushings need to be replaced..

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
164 Posts
I would suggest that you have "other" problems, if it takes that long for your RPM's to drop between shifts. A lot of the time, I don't even use the clutch to shift from 1st to 2nd, and it doesn't take that long for the RPM's to drop.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,457 Posts
I just shifted from 1st to 2nd about 30 times in traffic...no issues...It's the toughest gear to get a smooth shift in, but it is doable once you get the hang of it. I listened to my engine and got the sounds memorized for shifting times. I do check the speed and RPM occasionally though... for assurance.

How fast are you releasing the clutch? If it's jerking you may be releasing it too quickly.

Hold it engaged for a split second (don't ride it) while you give it some gas and get the gear fully engaged. The RPMs will start climbing and you can slowly release the last half of clutch length for a smooth shift.

I'm no expert, but that's what works for me.
CK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts