2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed the DIY for baking and painting the inside of the headlights. I think it came out okay, but I'm not 100% convinced. Here's the problem I had. The paint took to the first part of the headlight housing, but it didn't want to take to the reflective blinker. I sprayed it and the paint just ran off. It is black, but anywhere there are sharp angles (which is all over the whole piece) it is still silver.

I used the same brand and type of paint as used in the tutorial. The only difference is mine isn't that flat textured look. It's semi-gloss black (if I remember correctly). I really want to do it over again so that it all looks the same and I don't have a silver/black mix on the blinker piece. What can I do??? Special primers, or anything that will stick to this prior to painting? It was a little smoother and slippier than the other piece that did take to the paint, but still it wasn't like in the tutorial.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Sounds like you sprayed it with too heavy a first coat. Multiple thin coats is the way to do it. If you used Krylon fusion there is no need for primer on plastic parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking at first, but I sprayed both pieces of the same headlight at the same time with the same spray distance, coat thickness, etc.

Could it possibly be due to the cold temperatures I was painting in?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
In that case clear adhesion promoter would have been the answer. I guess the blinker was just too slick for the paint to adhere correctly. I'm glad I only sprayed my orange reflectors black.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any suggestions on an adhesive promoter that would work well for what I'm trying to accomplish? If I'm going to get myself to take these headlights apart again I want to make sure I have every possible solution ready in case I face any possible problems.

I do feel it was just to slick. It ran right off. I even tried like 3-4 extremely thin coats. No matter how thin it was, it dripped right off. It doesn't have drip marks or anything and looks okay, but I'd rather it all be a solid black.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I've used Duplicolor clear adhesion promotor #CP199. I used it on all my badges that I sprayed with Rustoleum Black night metallic. The paint went on smooth and has adhered to the badges really well. Not a chip in over a year and 11,000 miles. Rustoleum wasn't intended for plastic so Id say the promotor has worked well. I think Bulldog is another brand that is good but I haven't used it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Make sure you shake the paint can really good, and keep it well shaken during the project. From the results the others have had your paint might have been too thin. And yes low Temp will effect the results.
Might want to try another coat before stripping and re shooting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I painted in the 50's. It was pretty cold. I'll try another coat in a warm environment, but if that fails would it be best to try stripping the paint I've put on before applying an adhesion promoter? Or should I not worry about it and spray the adhesion promoter on top of what I have, followed by the Fusion paint?

Thanks! Really stressing this one. Paint projects and me never get along.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts