2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 2010 MS3 in for its first service at 3500k miles. When I got it back and drove to work I noticed it seems to blow smoke when I get on it and the turbo kicks in. Never noticed that before. I had them change the oil/filter/rotate tires/etc, but nothing special except I had them go to synthetic oil.

I know I've seen other issues with smoke, but have you folks ever seen anything about it happening after a first service? Is this something that is like if you overfill your oil and the pistons burn off the extra, only it's the turbo doing the burning? Something I should be worried about?

Thanx for the help!

·
Registered
191 Posts
They all blow smoke at WOT the stock tune is pretty rich, you may have just not noticed it prior.

·
1,091 Posts
Editors over at InsideLine just got their MS3 changed with 5W20 instead of 5W30. Not all dealerships screw this up but you never know.

2010 Mazdaspeed 3: Wrong Kind of Oil?

But yeah, when you romp hard on the gas, AFR will dip down between 9-10. Virtually impossible to combust that mix completely so some gas will exit the tailpipe in a cloud of black smoke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the oil they used...Mobil 1, 5w30. So weight-wise it's ok. I know there are as many views about particular oils as leaves on a tree and personally I plan to use Pennzoil Platinum after this (the first service at the dealership was 50% off) based on posts I've read.

I'll chalk it up to not having noticed the smoke before. It's not consistent and seems to really only do it when I peg the boost gauge and I can live with cleaning off the chrome tips once a week. ;-)

Thanx for responses...ever feel like you've found something too good to be true and you're waiting for something bad to happen to nuke the whole thing back to reality? To me, the MS3 is that too good to be true thing and I guess I'm just being paranoid that something will go south. Damn, I love this car!!! :thumbup1 1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts