2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I completely rebuilt the 2.3 L in my Mazda 3. Everything went as planned and double checked everything so no issues with that, I switched over to synthetic 5w-20 oil over the regular 5w-30 the previous owner used in it. Since the rebuild (1k miles ago) it has started to smoke and burn a little bit of oil (half a quart every other week) . I was wondering if you guys had any ideas, it's blue smoke and does it at random times.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
So recently I completely rebuilt the 2.3 L in my Mazda 3. Everything went as planned and double checked everything so no issues with that, I switched over to synthetic 5w-20 oil over the regular 5w-30 the previous owner used in it. Since the rebuild (1k miles ago) it has started to smoke and burn a little bit of oil (half a quart every other week) . I was wondering if you guys had any ideas, it's blue smoke and does it at random times.

Blue smoke is oil. Rings might still be bedding in but if you're concerned do a compression test. Could be rings or valve seals.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did you have the head or the block machined with this rebuild, or were you just installing new parts into an un-machined older block and head?

·
Registered
301 Posts
They were machined, not my first time bud
Just checking! It's always a sad story when someone says they did a lot of engine work on their car and then it won't start. They come onto the forum trying to get help with their non-start issue, and then we come to find out they didn't know they were supposed to time the engine... ouch!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that'd suck lol
Just checking! It's always a sad story when someone says they did a lot of engine work on their car and then it won't start. They come onto the forum trying to get help with their non-start issue, and then we come to find out they didn't know they were supposed to time the engine... ouch!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rings will not seat using synthetic oil, the film strength is too high. Drain & fill using regular oil for a few K miles to stop the burning oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts