2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I've got a 2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring (Skyactiv) hatch w/ about 122k miles. Still love the car and it's always been great, but lately I've started to think I may have a fuel leak because I get a strong gas smell around the car. The fuller the tank is, the stronger the smell is, especially right after filling up. I'll usually fill up in the evening at a station just about 1/4 mile from the house. I'll smell gas pretty strongly when I get out at home and still smell it pretty bad the next morning when I come out to leave for work. It seems over time as I use up more of the tank, the smell lessens but is still noticeable when I first get out after parking.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so, what was the problem and fix?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,246 Posts
Hello everyone. I've got a 2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring (Skyactiv) hatch w/ about 122k miles. Still love the car and it's always been great, but lately I've started to think I may have a fuel leak because I get a strong gas smell around the car. The fuller the tank is, the stronger the smell is, especially right after filling up. I'll usually fill up in the evening at a station just about 1/4 mile from the house. I'll smell gas pretty strongly when I get out at home and still smell it pretty bad the next morning when I come out to leave for work. It seems over time as I use up more of the tank, the smell lessens but is still noticeable when I first get out after parking.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so, what was the problem and fix?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Check the fuel pump seals in the back seats. Hopefully you don't smoke in the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol. No, no smoking. I'll definitely take a look at that, thanks. If that were the case, would I be smelling it inside though? I guess I didn't really clarify this in the original post, but I only smell it outside the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check if there is any leak under the engine cover. I had a similar issue in 2014 MAZDA3 and then had to replace the engine cover.
By engine cover, do you just mean the cosmetic plastic cover? If so, I've looked under there and didn't see anything leaking.

Possibly a faulty gas cap.
If it was a bad gas cap, wouldn't I have a check engine light? I didn't think it would be has cap or evap system issue because there's no CEL coming on.

Thank y'all for the input so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
By engine cover, do you just mean the cosmetic plastic cover? If so, I've looked under there and didn't see anything leaking.

If it was a bad gas cap, wouldn't I have a check engine light? I didn't think it would be has cap or evap system issue because there's no CEL coming on.

Thank y'all for the input so far.
If gas fumes are related to a gas cap or any other thing allowing fuel vapor out of the fuel system it would cause a CEL to come on. On the other hand, slight leaking fuel at the engine or around a supply line would not. I would do as suggested and look around for any fuel leakage front to back.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a really bad fuel vapour smells in another model of car a few years ago- turned out the vapour modern fuels was permeating through the fuel lines. Changed the lines to Gates Barricade and the smell went away.

If your looking for small leaks on tank nozzles etc, I generally sprinkle a bit of talcum powder around the suspected leak to get an indication .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a really bad fuel vapour smells in another model of car a few years ago- turned out the vapour modern fuels was permeating through the fuel lines. Changed the lines to Gates Barricade and the smell went away.

If your looking for small leaks on tank nozzles etc, I generally sprinkle a bit of talcum powder around the suspected leak to get an indication .
I'll have to keep the talcum powder idea in mind, thanks. I plan on pulling out the back seat this weekend to check around the pump and will be trying to check along the lines too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:
Took out the back seat today to check the seal around the fuel pump and it all looked good and couldn't even really get much of a fuel smell being right over it. So I feel safe in saying the problem isn't there. (Thankfully, because the access hatch there isn't very big and definitely wouldn't have room to change the pump). Also gave another look around in the engine bay and still nothing found there. So tomorrow I'll be trying to check out the lines running under the car

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update:
Took out the back seat today to check the seal around the fuel pump and it all looked good and couldn't even really get much of a fuel smell being right over it. So I feel safe in saying the problem isn't there. (Thankfully, because the access hatch there isn't very big and definitely wouldn't have room to change the pump). Also gave another look around in the engine bay and still nothing found there. So tomorrow I'll be trying to check out the lines running under the car
I have a 2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2.3 liter. I have apx. 130,000 mi. About 1.5>2 years ago I smelled gas fumes after fillup (I live 6 miles from gas station I always use). The first time I smelled the fumes in my garage they were so dense I was afraid to open the garage door; I hit the release and opened it manually. My mechanic found that the locking ring that holds down the fuel pump was cracked; we replaced it and the problem was fixed, for about a year. Then it happened again, and my mechanic lifted the rear seat and carefully re-tightened the locking ring and the problem was fixed, for about 6 months. Now it is happening again, possibly worse than previously; I have an appointment with mech. in a week. I am racking my head trying to determine what could be causing the ring, which seems to be nylon, to loosen. Vibration? Thermal? (I live in AZ and it is Summer). Does anyone have any ideas???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update:
Did you ever find the source?

I've got a 2012 Skyactive with the same fuel smell. I've located some fuel underneath near the tank. I think it's related to the fill neck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update:
Have you figured out the issue? I just noticed the same issue. We have the exact the same car and about the same mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a similar issue, hope you figured it out soon. When I starts my car, I usually experiences a strong gas smell at the back of the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts