2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have issue when using aircondition ( no smell or oddor at all) and after i switch it off it start to smell.Only way to get rid of it is to turn fan on max and open windows , and its gone after 1-2 minutes.
Mazda 3 2017, 2.0/120hp

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem.
I changed the pollen filter, and ran an air con bomb through the system, that cured the smell when the air conditioning is enabled. But when you turn if off, there is an unpleasant smell for a minute or so.
I'm going to try running another one through with the air conditioning switched off, directed in from the outside cabin air intake (if I can find it in the service manual)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I get this as well on occasion, but it has gotten far better over time. Now its an occasional minor annoyance. Give it time for some condensate to work its way through the system.

I can't confirm, but I suspect that it might have to do with the plastics used. Some plastics will leech out a bit into water. Given time, it will stop. This isn't dangerous, just smells bad. Many plastics used for food safe water such as a water dispenser in a fridge have the same problem. Flush enough through it and it goes awaym

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Using Ozone Treatments (commercial OZ machine running 24hrs) or Chemical CO2 Sprays could reduce (stinky socks) odors. A preventive measure for A/C moldy smells, turn off the Air Con 5-10 minutes (Prior to the destination) and this will reduce the moisture in the system. My old 2007 Mazda 3 Air Con never had any odors.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I used Lysol Orange on my last car - worked well. Spray into AC intake.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its been happening to me since I bought the car almost 4 years ago.. I change the cabin filter every 6 months and I spray Lysol into the AC intake couple times a month and it reduces the smell a lot. I've talked to the dealer before and they said its a design flaw for our 3rd gen Mazda3 and CX5 which the condenser cant drain the water out.. smh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Its been happening to me since I bought the car almost 4 years ago.. I change the cabin filter every 6 months and I spray Lysol into the AC intake couple times a month and it reduces the smell a lot. I've talked to the dealer before and they said its a design flaw for our 3rd gen Mazda3 and CX5 which the condenser cant drain the water out.. smh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
it's the same for all cars with A/C. Turning off the engine with tons of moisture in the system and it gets gross over time -- condenser.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
that can be mold in the air ducts. The cold creates moisture, which can lead to mold after turning off the car. It helps to turn off the air conditioner a few minutes before arrival so that the air ducts can dry.
If it stinks already helps only a professional cleaning. An air con bomb usually does not reach the moldy places.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Has the same problem... on my 2015

buy a lysol, no ordor one.
take the glove compartment out and take the cabin air filter, clean it with water (my order for a new one was on the way), let it dry...

now take the lysol and spray it on the filter, all vents, inside the blower (via the filter cavity), let it rest for a couple of hours and then turn it on the Ac,

I did it with a cheap lysol knock off... and it worked...

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
Hi,
that can be mold in the air ducts. The cold creates moisture, which can lead to mold after turning off the car. It helps to turn off the air conditioner a few minutes before arrival so that the air ducts can dry.
If it stinks already helps only a professional cleaning. An air con bomb usually does not reach the moldy places.

This smell is preventable turning off the A/C for 5+ mins. I've done this for over 10 yrs on my 2007 Mazda 3:laugh2:

·
Registered
135 Posts
it's the same for all cars with A/C. Turning off the engine with tons of moisture in the system and it gets gross over time -- condenser.
it is, however, I've owned a 04 and a 07 mazda3 and also driven a dozen different cars before and this kind of issues only happened to me on my 2015 model. :frown2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had this when I bought mine. Solved it by doing the Ozium trick (find the spot where the HVAC sucks in air and spray Ozium liberally while having AC running. Keep it on for 5 minutes. Shut AC off and keep the fan running for another 5). Open all doors for a minute to vent the interior and replace the cabin air filter afterwards.

Currently, I always let it run outside-air-no-ac for a minute or two before leaving the car to avoid moisture buildup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts