2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Smart Dealerships

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  MDLockard 
#1 ·
So funny story for you all...

I decide to finally go into the dealership to get an oil filter to do an oilchange cause i had some time. I walk into the service dept and ask them for the filter. It basically went like this:

"i need a filter for my mazda 3"
"sure thing, what year is it?"
"it's a 2010"
"what engine?"
"i have a 2.0"
"what do you mean a 2.0? are you sure? for the 2010 they only make a 2.2 and a 2.3 engine"
"you joking right?"
"no i'm serious"
"i have a 2.0, i know what i have, unless the other dealership didnt sell me the other .2 liters...just give me the filter for the 2.0 mazda engine"
"ok fine but its not going to fit"

so i buy it and everything, and i look the part number up on my phone, and it says its for the 2009 mazda 3, i'm not very car literate, so just to make sure i called the other dealership i got my car from and got them to verify the part number. they laughed at my story. I just cant believe that someone in the service department really doesnt know their stuff like that?? it was very sad.

Just thought you guys might get a kick outta that story lol.

See less See more
#4 ·
Isn't the 3 i the only Mazda using the 2.0? The 5 uses the 2.3 from the previous gen 3 and the Tribute and 6 use the 2.5. I would hope they would at least know the engines for each model.

#6 ·
I did get a kick outta that story thanks :)

my opinion is, some dealers hire some cheap labor, and all they do is crunch numbers on a PC and if the part number is not updated or with a wrong description for them, it doesn't exist since, the dealer pretty much tell them " just read the monitor and talk" so they don't learn anything. (not all employees are like that, but you find people that behave like so)

#7 · (Edited)
Some parts guys are cool and some just act like their not getting paid enough to actually do any thinking.
Before I painted my fog light bezels I went to the dealer to find out how much they cost to replace in case I screwed them up and didn't like how they turned out. The parts guy told me $170. I said "are you sure". He said "that's what the screen says". I didn't bother arguing. Just said "thanks" and left. I looked the bezel price up online and it was $34. Obviously the price he quoted me was for the fogs and bezels. The dealership is basically just good for a laugh.

#13 ·
Another 2.0L Mazda? Heh, here's a hint:
Oops...Sigh....

Forgot the Miata. I thought they used the 2.3. Honestly I can't remember the last time I saw a Miata...anywhere. The dealers in my area don't have them on the lots, and you never see them on the roads...

#12 ·
when i told the dealership in phoenix that i wanted my front bumper replaced on my '06 a week after i bought it cuz they drilled holes in the front after i asked them not to, they had me drive all the way there (50 miles one way) just to attempt to put a hatch bumper on my sedan. when i told them it would not fit, they made me drive to the back so their 'techs' could verify. it was so classy. when they looked and said 'oh it won't fit' i asked them to check it again, just to make sure they weren't wrong. they did. incredible.

dealerships are good for...well...i got my car there. the end.

#14 ·
There are lots of Miata's in San Diego on the roads and at dealers. My mechanic and his assistant drive Miata's, are members of the San Diego Miata club and always have Mazda's in their garage. I'd love to have a Miata Touring 6 speed hard top with the limited slip rear and 6 speed. Lower, lighter and likely faster than my 3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.