2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Traded in my 2012 Mazda 3 for the 2014 GT Sport with the Technology Package. Finally got it after waiting 2 months!

I decided to test out the Smart City Break Support by taking a cardboard box and "coast" into it......well, my 2014 Mazda 3 doesn't react at all, but my 2014 CX5 and Sisters Mazda 6 works as it should...the breaks engage and the car comes to a stop.

The system also has forward warning detection, again, my car does nothing, no alerts, no lights on the dash illuminate (as indicated in the owners guide).

As a final test I covered up the window sensors and the front grill radar sensor as it should've triggered a warning light for "obstruction" but nothing...

The guys at Mazda have tested this on their demos and it works well, has anyone had this issue on their new 2014 Mazda 3?

My Rain sensing wipers, lane departure warning work fine.

The dealer is going to contact Mazda to find out what's going on, I have confirmed that the feature is turned on under the settings menu.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I haven't tested it with a box but I want to try it out. I also suspected that for some reason it might not be working. I approached a wall up close but the breaks didn't activate and I didn't want to hit the wall, so I hit the breaks before the system attempted it. Good idea trying it with a box. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tried it with the box and breaks didn't activate. I was going at it at 5mph. Ended up hitting the box. Going to have to contact the dealer to have them look into this... :-/

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey mr, thanks for reporting back. I took my car to the dealer on Saturday and they tested my car inside, with a large box and nada. They had another 2014 Mazda 3 with the tech package and it worked! Dealer is contacting Mazda Canada to see what the issue could be. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hey all. I think this is an option only available as an add on. It is part of the package that also gets you the following. To my knowledge, this isn't available until later in 2014

Smart City Brake Support
Forward Obstruction Warning
Lane Departure Warning System***
High Beam Control

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey all. I think this is an option only available as an add on. It is part of the package that also gets you the following. To my knowledge, this isn't available until later in 2014

Smart City Brake Support
Forward Obstruction Warning
Lane Departure Warning System***
High Beam Control
I confirm that this package is already available. My window sticker states that it includes all of the above and had a package cost of $2600 (called 3TE) instead of the 2TE package cost of $1600.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh man......
The technology package on the 2014 Mazda 3 GT includes SCBS, all you need to do is take a look at the windshield and you can see the 5 sensors that are on the window, maybe your getting confused for i-stop that will eventually come out.

"Creativityrules" .... looks like we are the only ones thus far LOL. My car is going in on Thursday to have the module replaced. You keep me posted on your side. Where did you buy your car BTW?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bought it in Southern California.
Would be interested to know if both our cars came out the same production line.
I have service scheduled for Friday, but I may go in sooner if possible so that I can get the module replaced sooner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just to clarify for the OP... Canadian Mazda3's do not have Forward Obstruction Warning (FOW)... check this page to see what we have vs other cars in the Mazda lineup... go to 'View all Features' on the right:
Mazda i-Activsense | Mazda Canada

Also a note of surprise I just found out, we don't have radar cruise control either...
The Americans get a bunch of extra stuff that we don't...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EMBE - I don't know where you're getting your info from but my car is from Canada, it has (FOW) and as a matter of fact its currently getting the module replaced. The dealer gave me their demo car (2014 Mazda 3) and FOW and SCBS works fine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Radar Crusie control is not avail in Canada - yes, but everyting else is, hence why Mazda offers the technoloy package.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What size box did you guys use to test out the SCBS? It sounds like a fun test :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
EMBE - I don't know where you're getting your info from but my car is from Canada, it has (FOW) and as a matter of fact its currently getting the module replaced. The dealer gave me their demo car (2014 Mazda 3) and FOW and SCBS works fine.
I'm getting my info from Mazda Canada.
Only the Mazda6 has FOW…
did you take a look at the Mazda Canada Page link I provided… it's pretty clear there:

Mazda Innovation - Skyactiv, i-Activsense, i-Eloop | Mazda Canada

All I can go by on the FOW not being installed is what Mazda Canada is saying and no literature or information provided anywhere says that it is… it's the same with the TPMS and Radar Cruise Control… if it's not stated on the spec sheet then it isn't there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Update:
Service at the dealership tried it and it worked. I was going too slow so it didn't activate. Need to go about 6mph+. I suggest you try it with a non-rigid box and drive right at it. Don't tap the breaks or else it'll deactivate thinking you're in control of the vehicle.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
EMBE, I'm an honest man and want to call out the fact that you we're correct about FOW, the flashing red light with the 2 cars on the dash was for SCBS. So thanks for the clarification.
On a side note, my SCBS is finally working now, all it needed was a re-calibration/reset. Tested several times with a box and its perfect!
:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
EMBE, I'm an honest man and want to call out the fact that you we're correct about FOW, the flashing red light with the 2 cars on the dash was for SCBS. So thanks for the clarification.
On a side note, my SCBS is finally working now, all it needed was a re-calibration/reset. Tested several times with a box and its perfect!
:)
Glad to hear it's working… I have yet to do the box test myself… All the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys,

Is there any word as to when the Canadian models will be getting FOW and MRCC? These were originally listed in the Canadian press release but apparently a delay prevented them being included with the Canadian Tech package. That's all the info I've been able to get for customer relations at mazda canada. Has anyone heard anything more? Looking at getting a GT with Tech but don't mind waiting a few months if those features will be added shortly.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys,

Is there any word as to when the Canadian models will be getting FOW and MRCC? These were originally listed in the Canadian press release but apparently a delay prevented them being included with the Canadian Tech package. That's all the info I've been able to get for customer relations at mazda canada. Has anyone heard anything more? Looking at getting a GT with Tech but don't mind waiting a few months if those features will be added shortly.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I doubt these will be added to the 2014 models now but het you never know...
Just fyi, Mazda Canada has released an updated brochure for the 3 that shows we have the 'Active Shutter Grille' included on the fronts of our cars... the is for tech package cars only, and previously wasn't shown as being included...

·
Registered
590 Posts
Would u say there should be some sort of self diagnostic with City Brake. Like a error light if not working. I am going to count on this in the next traffic jam.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts