2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My UK Mazda 3 has Smart City Brake Support according to the Mazda 3 brochure. The brochure mentions Advanced Smart City Brake support which uses the forward facing camera and laser based system (rangefinder?) to monitor the vehicle in front and apply the brakes if a collision is likely.

The UK Mazda manuals are very confusing on explaining Smart City Braking. Page 4-144 of the full manual describes Smart City Brake Support which mentions a laser based system (rangefinder?) is used. Page 4-150 of the full manual describes Smart Brake Support which uses a radar sensor to avoid collisions. The colour Owners Reference guide on page 4-46 describes Advanced Smart City Brake Support which mentions the system uses the forward facing camera to sense objects ahead. Page 4-49 of the same manual mentions Smart Brake Support which mentions the forward facing camera and a radar sensor is used to avoid collision. Mazda has used four different names to describe smart braking which appear to be implemented in different ways.

These Mazda manuals are highly confusing and misleading on an important safety feature. I’m a technical expert so if I can’t understand how Smart City Braking works, then how can a layman?

Could someone please explain how the Smart City braking on my UK Mazda 3 Sport actually works. Does it use the camera, a laser rangefinder, a microwave rangefinder (radar) or some combination of these?

The reason I’m asking is because today the amber SCBS warning light lit for several minutes then turned off – see full manual p7-45. I’m trying to work out if this was due to some dirt on the windscreen or the sun being at a low angle after dawn which may confuse the camera or an intermittent system malfunction. Please advise since a credible explanation is not possible without a clear understanding of how the system operates.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mazda have now told me that my UK Mazda 3 Sport has Advanced Smart City Brake Support (A-SCBS) which uses the forward facing camera. They say the A-SCBS warning ight can be triggered by a dirty windscreen or dazzle by the sun. Have other users found the warning light is often triggered by this and similar factors?

Here is a list of the somewhat confusing Mazda smart braking options supplied by Mazda:

SCBS – Smart City Brake Support(fitted in some other European markets) uses a laser sensor for the operation of the system and only works up to approximately 19mph.

A-SCBS – Advanced Smart City Brake Support uses the Forward Sensing Camera for the operation of the system and works up to 50kph.

SBS (Smart Brake Support) is an optionally equipped system that utilises radar and FSC for system operation, (only where equipped – in the UK market this is automatic vehicles only, and is also not an option in the UK for the Mazda3). This is also the same for SBS using the laser sensor and radar together on vehicles not fitted with A-SCBS, but with radar cruise control.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts