2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2017 hatchback 2.5 touring, and the SCBS warning light (Amber) comes on frequently for no reason that I can ascertain. According to the manual, the amber light refers to a malfunction. I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence among owners. Is it dirty windshield, rain, fog or just very sensitive? It turns off when I turn off the engine and come back later.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi

Never had those issues with my SCBS. No problem in Snow or fog.
But have had it light op if i use OBD blue tooth dongle (cheep china one)

·
Registered
988 Posts
@AVL thumper, I had this problem the first day I receive my Mazda! I took it back to the dealership the same day and according to them all that was needed was a system reset and the problem never appeared / happened again.

Afterwards, just to be sure I took big carton boxes to check if the system was working lol, like magic when testing, the car stopped by itself before hitting the boxes..

My advise is: Take it to the dealer and don't try to reset the system yourself, let them solve the problem for you.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I just spoke with the dealer, and I'm dropping it off on Monday. They will try to reset the system. He indicated that sometimes they also need to re-calibrate the radar sensor. I'll keep the thread posted once I get the vehicle back.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If happening in rain / snow etc it could be normal - if it's happening in clear / dry it definitely isn't normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If happening in rain / snow etc it could be normal - if it's happening in clear / dry it definitely isn't normal.
I've had mine for month and a half. It happened twice when it was raining. Both times it came on for about 10 minutes. I am monitoring, but my guess too, is that it was the rain.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mazda is sending a new windshield sensor/laser unit. It will be installed and calibrated on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got a call from my dealership, and Mazda is switching manufacturers for this laser/sensor unit. They are not expected in NA until 4/17...looks like I have to wait a bit before having it replaced...oh well, hopefully the unit is improved some how and doesn't cause any more malfunction warnings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just had this warning light come on for a few minutes in clear weather. I looked at the vehicle status menu which showed an error then the warning light went off shortly afterwards. The light has stayed off for a day so far. My UK car uses a laser transmitter/receiver. There were some dried on rain spots around the transmitter/receiver which I've now cleaned. Is this a common issue with the Mazda 3?

·
Registered
327 Posts
It can happen in clear weather if the sun is shining directly into the camera at the right angle.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It can happen in clear weather if the sun is shining directly into the camera at the right angle.
The sun was at a low angle early in the morning ahead of the car. I thought the Smart City Braking uses a laser rangefinder? Is the forward camera also used?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just had this warning light come on for a few minutes in clear weather. I looked at the vehicle status menu which showed an error then the warning light went off shortly afterwards. The light has stayed off for a day so far. My UK car uses a laser transmitter/receiver. There were some dried on rain spots around the transmitter/receiver which I've now cleaned. Is this a common issue with the Mazda 3?
Mazda have now told me my car has Advanced Smart City Brake Support (A-SCSBS) which uses the camera for sensing. Have users found the A-SCBS system is prone to being triggered by things like dazzle from the sun and dirty windscreens?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had my SCBS malfunction on me a couple of times. Interestingly enough it happened on the same stretch of road. It wasn't snowing/raining/fog. The windshield was fairly clean. Since I don't have the advanced smart brake support, I don't have the front badge sensor just the laser on the windshield. I hate electrical shit; they never work right and it scares me that it would suddenly jam on the brakes for no reason. I would want to turn it off but the idiot light stays on the dash which is annoying.

·
Registered
297 Posts
When I got my 2014 Mazda 3 my SCBS didn't work, nor did the malfunction light come on to notify me. The dealer simply had to re-calibrate the sensor and that seemed to kick-start it, lol...

The only time the orange malfunction light comes on is when I have snow/ice covering my windshield/sensor, but it always goes away once it's cleared.

it's funny how 3 years later, the same issues are present, even with a new style sensor -gotta love technology!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had the light come on a couple of times now. Once when it was pouring rain and then just last weekend when it was snowing and some snow and ice was built up on the front Mazda badge/radar sensor. I didn't think to clear it while I was clearing the snow from the rest of the car.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Like others the light will come on occasionally but it's always snow/ice on the windshield... once things are clear/warm all good light out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have had this come on intermittently since the first month I had the car last April and it doesn't seem to matter what the weather. I'm getting it checked during it's 1-year maintenance in a few weeks. I wish I could turn off the SCBS permanently because it came on a couple of times, unexpectedly and once, everything in the back came to the front (had the seats down) and the guy behind me came close to hitting me. Problem is that it can't see what is really happening or what action I am planning, like moving around someone who is turning off in front. Once I put on the H&Rs, it probably won't work as designed anyway. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Confirm which type of Smart Braking you have since there are several types using different sensors. My UK Mazda 3 has Advanced Smart City Brake Support which uses only the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC). I had the light come on at dawn heading into the sun last summer. The light went off after a few minutes. I now keep the windscreen area around the FSC very clean and haven't seen the warning light since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring 2.5L and the Smart City Brake Support light also comes on randomly. It has happened 3 times since I got the car and I have 2200 miles on it currently. Will have it looked at when I take it in for its first service.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring 2.5L and the Smart City Brake Support light also comes on randomly. It has happened 3 times since I got the car and I have 2200 miles on it currently. Will have it looked at when I take it in for its first service.
Is it randomly, or is it when the car starts up? Is it when it’s been in the sun?

My 2018 3 Touring would have the light come on, usually in the afternoons. It a always turned off before I could get it to dealer. They’d never heard of the problem and assumes they could do nothing if it went in without the light on.

Finally they checked it and it was throwing a sensor overheat code. There’s a TSB I think, and a part available for hotter climates. I haven’t seen the light since they replaced the part.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts