2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. My 2014 sGT met it's demise, due to stop an go traffic accident. Now I am looking to replace it with similar and might go with any model year from 2014-2017. I noticed the 2017 the Smart City Brake is now a standard feature on more trims rather than being a Tech package add-on even for the sGT back in 2014.

This is good as I think it would have avoid the demise of my 2014. That said what's the verdict on this feature and it seems with 2017 there is the addition of the Smart Brake feature which appears to support braking at all speeds above 10mph and not limited too 18mph max on the Smart City Brake. Any other differences? I assume with both features enabled, auto braking is supported from 2mph and up.

Would like to hear some experience and pointers to reviews and tests of both these features.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I have the 2017 Grand touring with the tech package(LED headlights, heated steering wheel, smart city braking etc.)
I can tell you that it for sure works at about 30 mph as it worked on me several days ago.
It was one of those traffic where it stops, then clears, then stop. I was still jet lagged (15hr difference) so i was really tired driving(I know I shouldn't have). Regardless I was traveling probably 30-40mph and I notice the car in front of me stopped. My foot was on the brake but I guess I was so tired I didn't compress it nearly enough and I was going to hit the car in front of me hard. My car was slowing down but the Smart City brake detected it beeped and engaged my brakes further(I felt the brake pedal leave my foot). Fortunately it had some good gap left between the car and the car behind was far behind so they didn't have to react.

Long story short, no accident and the tech saved me lots of money. I tried understanding the manual and it was a bit confusing but from my own experience/observation it seems that if there is about a ~15mph difference between you and the car in front it will alert you and start to apply slight brake until it gets further.

Along with the smart braking, I believe it uses the radar from the adaptive cruise control. I think what it does is slow you down enough for Smart City Braking to activate(which was at slower than 18mph)

Reactions: smoothmoose

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ Thanks for sharing your experience. Very helpful reply.

Regarding the Volvo fail. I appreciate PSA and dark humour. That said, I understand, Mazda Smart Braking, nor Telsa "auto-pilot", or any other current generation driver assist and self driving capabilities are replacements for real human attentive driving.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most assisted braking isn't really meant for preventing hitting pedestrians. But with what you said I absolutely agree that there still needs human interaction. Tech should assist not necessarily take over in most cases. I got the tech knowing that as human I will make errors so if I have a computer that might compensate for my error, that's great. If that failed well at least I tried to prevent my error and can't really blame technology

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
This one:
LMAO!

I mean it's terrible...really it is, but man...who would be stupid enough to do that...

Darwin award anyone??

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I doubt that there is a single member of this forum who has not, just once, made a mistake driving. The overwhelming percent of the time we get lucky and that mistake neither hurts anyone, nor even messes up our cars. WHEW!

I try to drive so I do never screw up, but if I do, nice I now have a chance that one of my safety systems will negative my mistake. Or, as good or better, the person behind me has similar tech in their vehicle and they avoid smashing into me because they screwed up.

I believe the last stat I read was that 30% of all accidents are rear end collisions caused by a mistake by the following driver. Nice if that percent starts to go down significantly with these new safety systems.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ Agree 100%. The demise of my 2014 sGT was on human error. I regret not getting the tech package with City Smart Braking in the first place. Now I need go buy a new car. I'm also glad they've made the feature standard on lower trims now. But I might just go all out this time and get the upgraded Smart braking that kicks in at higher speeds.

The hassle of dealing with insurance, your car loan company, money lost on deductible, and time required to shop for another car, makes the upgrade seem well worth it. Not to mention the higher probability of saving lives.

·
Registered
422 Posts
So I have the 2017 withOUT the active sense package. Although my car has alerted me a couple times as lower speeds it has never applied the brakes. My understanding was that it only stages the brakes.

The only time it has gone off is when I'm on the throttle and the other car is slowing down (aka I'm not letting off the gas).

I've allowed the car to roll up on another car as close as I dare and it never even alerted me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback. According to the website, it says "if no action is taken, the brakes are automatically applied" for Smart City Brakes. But yes, I wonder what the conditions are only rolling start on AT (no gas input) as well if you had partial brake input. I guess if you are rolling less than 2mph, it definitely does not work.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I have the 2017 Grand touring with the tech package(LED headlights, heated steering wheel, smart city braking etc.)
I can tell you that it for sure works at about 30 mph as it worked on me several days ago.
Rkom, i think the packages for 2017 are different can you confirm you got both the Premium package AND the iActivesense Safety Package?

It seems the Smart City Brake 2-18mph is standard, but the Smart Brake cover anything above 10mph is in the Safety Package. It sounds like you had the Smart Brake kick-in? Or maybe it was Smart City Brake?

I want to validate it only one or both features will active the brakes on your behalf if you are not applying enough force on it to start.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah it does get very confusing. With the 2017's include the "Smart City Brake" as a basic feature. ADDING the i-ActiveSense Package adds the "Smart Brake" (Seriously Mazda... who names these things)

So Included...

Smart City Brake Support only works at speeds under about 20 mph and is specifically designed to function in a city environment. A windshield mounted laser is able to sense when a car is in front of your Mazda. If this laser system detects a risk of a collision, the brake system delivers max brake power if evasive action is not taken by the driver. As the brakes are applied engine output is also reduced to lesson the severity of the impact. If the driver applies the brakes along with the system, it will increase the braking force. But the system will brake automatically if the driver fails to do so, hopefully lessening the severity of an impact. (NOT AVOIDING!!!! aka you will hit.. just not as bad)

Not included and takes the Extra $$$ ...

Smart Brake Support uses a millimeter-wave radar to detect vehicles and obstacles in the road up to 650 feet in front of the vehicle. A two-stage stop operation is engaged when the system detects and obstacle in the road. This system is used with the Distance Recognition Support System that can detect the distance of the vehicle ahead and warn the driver by sounding an alarm and flashing a warning light. If the system thinks a collision is eminent, your Mazda vehicle will slow down via a two-stage brake process.

Smart Brake Support is designed to stop collisions at medium speeds by applying the brakes if it sees a collision is about to happen and helps drivers maintain safe following distances.

The videos on this page compares the 2

Mazda6 Smart City Brake Support

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^ Thank you. EXACTLY what I was looking for. I wonder why they don't just make this available on their standard website. Plus it's impossible to compare trim levels side-by-side.

One last clarification if anybody knows. Based on the above links and videos, it does not mention if Smart City Brake also provides an audible warning. I would assume so as their other driver assists features do, but it does not mention it. I'm thinking feature is the same from 2014-2016 models as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you da_Joker that clarifies it for me too even though i have it haha. And unfortunately because I was sleepy I my recollection of what exactly happened isn't as crystal clear as what was activated. But there was a flashing BRAKE sign and auidble beep along with the braking

But to confirm I have the premium AND the i-active sense package. At this point it was worth every penny. Plus the dealer I got it from was selling it at invoice price so with a bit of negotiation and 500 cash back I got my 2017 for 26,500 before taxes.

And I agree that why can't they make it standard across the trim. Because for some the i active is only available with GT with Premium.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes, beeping and BRAKE in red takes over the HUD.

My car tends to trigger when coming up closing in on a gap to a car in front which is making a slow left turn. I haven't had it apply the brakes in those situations (happened twice to me so far in 2 months) but it does beep and flash.

I did have one incident at a higher speed where I will say with confidence that it helped me. Was travelling in a lane with a comfortable gap at about 65 km/hr when car in front starts to brake for a light that just went yellow. At that very instant another car to my left cut me off and entered between me and the car in front - so my adequate gap became very, very little gap. When the other driver realized traffic was slowing and he was about to shoot up the pooper of the car in front he slammed the brakes (this was all before he was fully in the lane, but about 3/4 the way in. Maybe about 2 seconds elapsed). As soon as his brake lights came on my car started beeping, BRAKE was flashing and I heard the brake pump prime.

My foot was already in motion to the brake pedal before this happened and when I got on the brakes there was absolutely more stopping power there than typical. Regardless I believe that the system legitimately helped me at a minimum reduce my reaction time and help the car stop faster than it otherwise would've. It felt like with a slight push of the brake pedal I was getting near full braking force.

As long as you consider the system a driver's aid not a full collision proof system then you'll appreciate it. It's a computer and it isn't 100% accurate, and if it doesn't stop a frontal collision it should at least help reduce it which is still a good thing in my book. I know I would've appreciated it if the truck that wrote off my old car 2 months ago had something like this to reduce the impact I felt even if just a bit.

Reactions: Rkom

·
Registered
422 Posts
I actually was going to buy the Active package because I really wanted the adaptive Cruise. However becuase I actually ordered mine before they were supposed to order it (literially the 1st month they started coming out), not even the dealers knew how much anything costs.

So I got the Prem Package (simply because it wasn't an 'S' GT without it) .. but passed on the Active sense. Had I know it was only $1k more... I may have done it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My foot was already in motion to the brake pedal before this happened and when I got on the brakes there was absolutely more stopping power there than typical. Regardless I believe that the system legitimately helped me at a minimum reduce my reaction time and help the car stop faster than it otherwise would've. It felt like with a slight push of the brake pedal I was getting near full braking force.

As long as you consider the system a driver's aid not a full collision proof system then you'll appreciate it. It's a computer and it isn't 100% accurate, and if it doesn't stop a frontal collision it should at least help reduce it which is still a good thing in my book. I know I would've appreciated it if the truck that wrote off my old car 2 months ago had something like this to reduce the impact I felt even if just a bit.

I can totally relate in terms how much stopping power there was. It was so surprised. And you can really tell when it brakes hard enough for the ABS to kick in.

As a driver's aid it is tremendous. Honestly I see it just like ABS. It's not that important but at times it will make all the difference

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice! Good save by the car. Sounds like you have a 2017 with both smart braking features on?
Yes, I have a 17 GT + Premium + Tech in Canada. Equipped the same as i-activesense package in US. I don't know that the car actually saved a collision and that I wouldn't have avoided it myself, but it certainly made avoiding the potential collision easier.

I have to pull my dashcam and see if I flagged that clip to be saved or not. I can't recall now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts