2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change the oil in my 2014 Mazda 3ST (2.5L engine, 29000 miles) in 3000 mile intervals. The plastic cover below the drain plug is always oily. I don't see oil marks on the oil filter so it makes me think that perhaps i have a small leak at the drain plug. I torque the plug to 25 ft-lbs and use a new washer every time. Although the amount of oil loss is small, it still annoys me. Have others experienced this issue?
Matt

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Could be some debris under the washer. Debris in the plug threads could give incorrect torque results.

Before installing an alternate drain valve, how about finding the leak? We suspect the drain plug, but that is not confirmed. It could be anything at this point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. I've checked for any traces of oil thinking that perhaps it is not from the plug and have found none. The low viscosity of the oil is not helping either. After each oil change I run the car and check for leaks at the plug or the filter. Nothing!

Regarding Fumoto - I have never used them. I checked their website and saw several variants. Which one do you use?

Matt

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I've checked for any traces of oil thinking that perhaps it is not from the plug and have found none. The low viscosity of the oil is not helping either. After each oil change I run the car and check for leaks at the plug or the filter. Nothing!

Regarding Fumoto - I have never used them. I checked their website and saw several variants. Which one do you use?

Matt
Hope there's no leak. Use Fumoto F106 or the ones w/ nipple. Add the LC10 lock clip.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts