2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw that I have acquired 2 small dents/scratches on my new 2016 Mazda 3. Any recommendations since these are on the bumper?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any photos you could show us? I specialize in paint correction, I will do my best to guide you in the best path.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't see any scratches, but assuming the bumper is plastic, you can take the bumper off, and use a heat gun (GENTLY) dont heat up the dent to much, and push the dent out from the back side. When you have the dent pushed out, put water on the dent. You may have to repeat this a few times until satisfied. If it doesnt work, sadly it's a job for a body shop. Shouldn't cost to much.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The scratches do go through the clear coat. Not much. Would buying the touch up paint for that color(gray mica) match since it is bumper and not metal part of car?

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
I would recommend against touch up paint, as the application methods are hazy at best.

The aforementioned heat gun + pressure + water method should solve those dents. I've fixed much worse with the plastic bumpers on our vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
5,208 Posts
How do you post pics like that? I am not familiar with that method.
If you want to post pictures from a hosting site, try this-
Open a free account on a site such as Photobucket. Upload your picture to your account. Open the picture and copy the URL that has IMG tags. Paste it into the response box here and the pictures should appear in your post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, but if dents aren't deep I don't see what heating from back will do. Wouldn't heating from front be better? And since scratches are duller how do you color them to match glossy bumper?

·
Registered
17 Posts
found a minor scratch on the car body, its a thin line. Any recommendation? would using mazda's touch up pen fix it? Thank you
Also, I have rust protection with mazda, any need for rust treatment or minor scratch won't affect.

·
Registered
979 Posts
HI csky1,

In my experience with the OEM Mazda touch-up pen, I found that it helps more on filling mild to deep paint scratches, small areas of paint scraping and very small paint dents as well.

Using the touch-up pen on fine scratches makes the paint to "seat" over the scratch , not filling the scratch or letting the paint from the pen to integrate with the already existing car paint coating.

Also if you purchase the touch-up pen I would recommend you to shake the pen between 5-10min for best results (Im not kidding, the shaking makes a lot of difference when applying the paint over the car body, as the color from the pen will match more the paint on your car but not 100%)

Additionally, I have used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on fine scratches and pretty much it helps a lot to remove fine scratches from my car's body.(Deeper Scratches cannot be removed with Ultimate Compound in my experience with the product)

Finally, the touch-up pen does not work miracles, it helps you cover those scratches and to make them less visible, it does what is suppose to do, but if you need to really fix scratches or dents 100% then take your car to your official Mazda dealership or to a professional body shop.
I hope this was helpful!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts