2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. I'm brand new to Mazdas, being a Celica girl my whole life. Just let go of my 15 year old Celica and got a 2016 Mazda 3 2.0 Sport trim hatchback with manual transmission. I LOVE the car - how it looks, performs, feels, electronics, etc - but it seems that acceleration is sluggish going from 4th to 5th, and sometimes 5th to 6th. I expected this car to be pretty peppy, given that it's new and the Mazda rep for zoom-zoom. :)

I've only had it one week, but I keep noticing this, particularly if there is a hill or incline involved. If there is a steep hill, it seems a bit of a strain for the car, even in 2nd or 3rd. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, I'm a lifelong manual transmission driver, but my old car, of course, had a totally different feel for shifting. With the Mazda, I'm shifting between 2-3 RPM. Was told during the break-in period especially, not to rev too high before shifting. Thoughts on optimal RPM for shifting from those in the know would be much appreciated!

thanks-
Ruby

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
With the Mazda, I'm shifting between 2-3 RPM. Was told during the break-in period especially, not to rev too high before shifting. Thoughts on optimal RPM for shifting from those in the know would be much appreciated!
If you are shifting at 2K rpm no wonder its sluggish:grin2:
The limiter kicks in at a bit above 6500:smile2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not at 2 - right around 3. Between 2-3. Had a feeling it might be the way I was shifting - that's why I was asking! :)

In my old car - I shifted between 3-4, but was told that that was too high in this car - especially during break-in period - is that not correct?

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
3k is where the power starts to come on with this motor. Mazda says to go easy on it for the first 600 miles. Break in periods for modern cars are not really needed like they were 30 years ago. I did run it up a few times before that though .:angel 1: My car runs just fine.

·
Mazda Fan!
67 Posts
As you get more miles on it, the more the engine will seem to "open up" I did follow the 600 mile break in recommended by Mazda in the owner's manual. The engine will get more responsive as time and miles go by.

·
Registered
422 Posts
As others have said you are below the powerband and that's why it feels like it's straining.

Once you get enough mileage on it that you could start getting into the throttle you will find when your particular engine starts to really kick in.. and of course that will translate to where you should be shifting.

·
Registered
350 Posts
What zoom zoom? Driving Matter yo!

Needs to be at least 3k rpm to accelerate otherwise good luck flooring it. Ain't going no where.

I have an iGT

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in CO with high elevation. There's not much power if you shift at 3k, especially if you're trying to accelerate fast. I tend to let it rev around 3-4k in the mountains, more if needed. Haven't had any issues yet.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i've felt with my 2.5 that the power curve is somewhere between 3-5k where it really pull. that said, don't be afraid to red line this engine, it's high compression could do with a redline every now and then..

Reactions: Road Trip
1 - 11 of 11 Posts