2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have an automatic Mazda3, and the shifts sometimes are very sloppy. If im traffic, at a red-light, or when i wanna step on it to get a head of someone their is a huge jerk when it changes gears, im saying mostly through gears 1 and 2, or 2 and 3. Im not sure if I need to change the transmission oil or not but, any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Skyactiv automatic is almost like a CVT (continuously variable transmission) or so I have been told. A CVT behaves like a gas-sipping manual. It puts itself in neutral at stoplights. In order to get more pep out of my car, I tend to slip the shifter into auto-manual mode. Then, I have more control of when it shifts and where. When I drive like that it feels like the transmission no longer "goes to sleep" on me. Lol
Also, for passing people (while in auto-manual) I will just drop down a gear to get some extra power when I need it.
I love my Skyactiv even though its not quite as "balls-y" as I'd prefer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Skyactiv automatic is almost like a CVT (continuously variable transmission) or so I have been told. A CVT behaves like a gas-sipping manual. It puts itself in neutral at stoplights. In order to get more pep out of my car, I tend to slip the shifter into auto-manual mode. Then, I have more control of when it shifts and where. When I drive like that it feels like the transmission no longer "goes to sleep" on me. Lol
Also, for passing people (while in auto-manual) I will just drop down a gear to get some extra power when I need it.
I love my Skyactiv even though its not quite as "balls-y" as I'd prefer.

A CVT is a totally different type of transmission than the typical 6 speed automatic that Mazda uses. Yes, the car might try to get into a high gear as soon as possible (for better fuel economy), but that has nothing to do with CVT. Are you sure the huge jerk isn't from all of the added horsepower after the downshift?

·
Registered
10 Posts
They're that different? I didn't know, hence the "or so I'm told".
One of the guys in the garage at the dealer that I purchased my Mazda from said something like this to me when I brought it in for its first oil change/tire rotation/inspection. When I dropped it off I mentioned how it "seems to shift kinda funny from reverse to drive" "like it doesn't want to go".
The hesitation isn't quite as bad at stop lights as it is when going from reverse to drive.
Yes I downshift for more horsepower when I need it. I don't mind that "jerk" at all. I want it. My next car will likely be a stick. So much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
402 Posts
They're that different? I didn't know, hence the "or so I'm told".
One of the guys in the garage at the dealer that I purchased my Mazda from said something like this to me when I brought it in for its first oil change/tire rotation/inspection. When I dropped it off I mentioned how it "seems to shift kinda funny from reverse to drive" "like it doesn't want to go".
The hesitation isn't quite as bad at stop lights as it is when going from reverse to drive.
Yes I downshift for more horsepower when I need it. I don't mind that "jerk" at all. I want it. My next car will likely be a stick. So much more fun to drive.

Check this out:
HowStuffWorks "How CVTs Work"

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Man, some people will just say anything and leave it to someone else to correct all their BS. Bleh.

The Skyactiv 6AT is a traditional automatic transmission, planetary gearset and all. Only major design difference is that the torque converter's usual stall clutch has been uprated to the point where it takes over the torque converter's job to lock the crankshaft to the trans. Shifting is handled by declutch-clutch instead of the torque converter slipping (it does, but not much before the clutch locks up again), that's why it shifts somewhat jerky like a manual as the programming isn't perfect.

Some 2012's have bad shift programming and don't like the R to D shift, you can go to the dealer and demand the 2013 firmware be flashed onto your TCU. There are at least three versions of the Gen 2 Skyactiv firmware that I know of, I had an early 2012 car, flashed a mid-2012 update after killing the trans, and I have a 2013 car now and the shifting again feels different.

If the 2014 has the same TCU as the 2013 (pretty likely... the drivetrain seems to be conserved) I'll ask my friendly dealer tech if the 2014 firmware can be applied to the 2013.

Reactions: MysexyM3

·
Registered
10 Posts
I realize that there is no option for the CVT, I just liked the sound of it after checking out the link that was posted.

And do you think that would fly? Think they'll charge me or should it not be a problem since my car was purchased in February 2013. I'm the first owner and it only has 3700 miles....warranty should apply for the upgrade? I'm going to look into what you're talking about too. Man, these forums are awesome. Lol

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am not a fan of the cvt transmissions. I dont like the way the big the engine down if your driving easy.
But if you're just cruising, why do you need the higher rpms? Once you increase throttle position, the ratio would change and rpms would move higher for more torque. Worked as expected on an Altima that I test drove. Maybe they will someday have a sport mode for CVT that will hold higher Rome at lower loads (at the cost of gas mileage of course).

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm not sure if you mean a violent shift that you feel through the car's frame but that's what happened to my car. My Mazda dealer said that filing debris from routing the channels in the trans walls have been found in some models and got stuck in solenoids creating a harsh shifting. Mazda Corp. has OK'ed a complete trans oil flush and reprogrammed both my PCM and TCM. I'm not sure what revision they installed though.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I realize that there is no option for the CVT, I just liked the sound of it after checking out the link that was posted.

And do you think that would fly? Think they'll charge me or should it not be a problem since my car was purchased in February 2013. I'm the first owner and it only has 3700 miles....warranty should apply for the upgrade? I'm going to look into what you're talking about too. Man, these forums are awesome. Lol

Warranty doesnt apply if theres nothing wrong with it

·
Registered
779 Posts
But if you're just cruising, why do you need the higher rpms? Once you increase throttle position, the ratio would change and rpms would move higher for more torque. Worked as expected on an Altima that I test drove. Maybe they will someday have a sport mode for CVT that will hold higher Rome at lower loads (at the cost of gas mileage of course).
Sounds like a cranky car when you floor it. GRRRRRRRRR. Revs up then one pitch through the entire take off. I rented one in Sanford, Florida and went to Kennedy, Orlando and stayed in Daytona so I got to test drive it lots. Loved the suede interior trims. Smooth driving car too. But that cranky sound was odd to get used to. Good power though.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Warranty doesnt apply if theres nothing wrong with it
If its under 36k miles yes. The only problem is the dealer mech wont upgrade or update your firmware without a tsb from mazda by checking your vin number. I went there twice last week and they ask me to go again next time and leave it for the whole day they said they could not replicate my complain after driving for 8 miles. Reason I went there is because of this jerking thing with the car as per @color0 said hes 2013 feels more smoother than his previous one.

And thanks to this thread I could show this thread to my dealers mech to get an idea of how many people actually complains about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts