2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen reports of this posted for earlier models, but I was curious if anybody else has seen this or has a solution for 2014+

The attached images are from a service manual and a Youtube video. Similar to earlier models a white plastic (nylon?) "crown" captures the ball of the shift lever, both of which are installed into a mating socket in the shifter base. The assembly is retained with a steel clip that attaches to the base with 2 Phillips-head screws. The crown is quite sloppy around both the ball and inside of the socket, small movements show the ball floating inside the crown, and the crown rocking in the base. There is a significant amount of backlash in this "ball-joint" assembly. It was improved slightly by packing it with thick silicone grease, but is still not something I would consider acceptable.

It appears that with the Skyactive engine, aftermarket support of these vehicles has dropped off significantly. Does anybody make a shifter assembly (that does not retain this component), a shim, a revised crown, or other components to tighten this assembly up. I have compared it to other M3's and they were all bad, this one seems especially bad.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought this car thinking there would be a strong aftermarket community just as passionate as the Mazdaspeed community. This, of course, never materialized.

So we're out of luck here, and the market has decided that this will remain an economy family commuter vehicle. As a result, other than some severely overpriced bushings and short-shifter mods, there's nothing available for this car in the direction you're looking for.

Solid Transmission Cable Bracket Bushings [SKY-CBL-BSH] - $33.75 : James Barone Racing, Aftermarket Performance

https://corksport.com/corksport-mazda-shifter-bushing-set-skyactiv.html

https://corksport.com/mazda-3-6-cx5-short-shift-plate-kit.html

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
I bought this car thinking there would be a strong aftermarket community just as passionate as the Mazdaspeed community. This, of course, never materialized.

So we're out of luck here, and the market has decided that this will remain an economy family commuter vehicle. As a result, other than some severely overpriced bushings and short-shifter mods, there's nothing available for this car in the direction you're looking for.

Solid Transmission Cable Bracket Bushings [SKY-CBL-BSH] - $33.75 : James Barone Racing, Aftermarket Performance

https://corksport.com/corksport-mazda-shifter-bushing-set-skyactiv.html

https://corksport.com/mazda-3-6-cx5-short-shift-plate-kit.html
There are other cars that don't have aftermarket parts. We got the basics of: suspension, mufflers, air intake and ECU tuning

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Acknowledging limited aftermarket support. Have others been bothered by this? Has anybody devised a home-brew solution, a shim, or something?

The service manager at the local dealership acknowledges this is not acceptable; however, if there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the OEM component. Replacing the shifter assembly with OEM will only be a temporary solution. I am 100% sure there are people with more severe OCD than myself that would be pulling their hair out over this. I like said, I have tested vehicles of similar kms, and they are all pretty sloppy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Acknowledging limited aftermarket support. Has this problem bothered anybody enough for a home brew solution? Shim or collar or something?

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are other cars that don't have aftermarket parts. We got the basics of: suspension, mufflers, air intake and ECU tuning
I didn't buy other cars. I bought a Mazda 3. If I wanted just the basics, I would have gone with Prius.

I don't regret my purchase, but I am disappointed that the aftermarket community just flopped. Even OVTune dropping Mazda entirely out kills my hope of a practical ECU tune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to think it has something to do with the ultra-high compression of the sky-active engine. It sort-of eliminates the possibility of forced induction on these engines. I assert that had a bit of a cascade effect through the rest of the aftermarket.

In this particular example, the mechanism is super simple. And I think it could be tightened up with a shim or sleeve; however the car is a daily driver and can't really be apart while something is being developed (I guess I could buy a used shifter assembly from a wreck?) Part of me does feel this is unacceptable from a design stand-point, and I should not have to fix it. The service manager at the dealership has agreed to put a call into Mazda Canada. I don't have great hopes of anything materializing, but who knows?

I didn't buy other cars. I bought a Mazda 3. If I wanted just the basics, I would have gone with Prius.

I don't regret my purchase, but I am disappointed that the aftermarket community just flopped. Even OVTune dropping Mazda entirely out kills my hope of a practical ECU tune.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts