2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was buying stuff do change my oil in another thousand miles today and I noticed walmart had purolator filters. I have always loved them and they are known for their extremely high quality "being the same as a bosch" I looked in the book and Found It listed the L14612 filter for the '13 mazda3 of course It does not denote skyactive or not so i proceeded to open boxes of the other brands and noticed It looks just like the mobile 1 filter I bought the last time I changed my oil. Now whenever I look up this filter on other sites it says It does not fit my 2.0 skyactive. I am wondering If this is a matter of the parts catalogs not being completely up to date or if there really is a difference because to the naked eye it looks correct.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use the PL14612. "PL" is the Pure One version of the Purolator. It is the mid grade between the "L" version and the full synthetic. I use it for all my cars for years. Amazon sells it for around $7 each.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not sure if the Sky-active is the same filter as the MZR but as another alternative I have used the FL400S motorcraft filter, and the Toyota yzzd3 filter on my 2.0 with good success.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would really stay away from those filters for a SKYACTIV engine. You get what you pay for.
umm yeah not always the case with oil filters "fram". I have done the research Purolator filters are of very high quality as reviewed many times over at bobistheoilguy.com I was simply wondering if anyone had tried one and the fitment since there are no actual cross reference numbers yet.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will pick up the same mobile 1 one I used during the first change just in case this purolator doesnt fit lol It would suck to drain the oil and not have a filter that would fit lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like my last post, I've been using the Pure One PL14612 for a while now. I'm about to hit 30,000 miles. The pure one filter is the same size as the OEM one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone have luck with the PL14610 filter from Purolator? I use that model for another vehicle and it would be great to stock just one in the garage.

All of the exact same specs but for slightly taller filter housing--a bit more than 0.5" taller.
Can it be assumed that it will filter a bit longer, better--assuming it does not interfere with the plastic covers underneath?

I'll report back if it does fit on the next oil change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts