2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mazda 3 sedan Skyactiv-X (EU) and although I'm really enjoying it so far, I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed by its performance, mainly acceleration.

I'm seeing similar experiences from other people on the internet and varying real world 0-100 times from mid 9 sec to 11 sec (!). What gives? The Mazda specs say 8.2 sec, but it seems this is a little misleading.

I haven't been able to time my own, but it definitely doesn't feel like an 8 sec 0-100 car. Any other Skyactiv-X owners out there with some real world data?
I've read people (on this forum as well) mention the Skyactiv engines perform better over time. I'm at 3000 KMs now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure about that, because within just a few minutes from a cold start the temp has gone up to 80+ degrees and maybe the first 30 seconds the temp is below 55 degrees.

That doesn't make the 8,2 seconds figure any more valid,

·
Super Moderator
4,750 Posts
Are you sure about that, because within just a few minutes from a cold start the temp has gone up to 80+ degrees and maybe the first 30 seconds the temp is below 55 degrees.

That doesn't make the 8,2 seconds figure any more valid,
Ambient temperature, not engine temperature.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine feels fairly fast when revved hard and you use the gears. I haven't timed it but feels quicker than 9 seconds to 60 to me. In that video the ESP kicks in and he lets in run into the rev limiter so not surprised the time was slow. I have also noticed that mine feels quicker and more torquey after 2000 miles of driving it felt very tight when I first got it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine (4.500 km) feels like 9 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h acceleration. But it shocks a bit while accelerate, doesn’t feel smooth when you are between 3.000 and 6.000 rpm’s. Looks like the air/petrol mixture isn’t correct. Does anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine (4.500 km) feels like 9 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h acceleration. But it shocks a bit while acceleration, doesn’t feel smooth when you are between 3.000 and 6.000 rpm’s. Looks like the air/petrol mixture isn’t correct. Does anyone else have this experience?
i have the same problem, but very evident between 1500 and 2000/2500 rpm .. in conjunction with the change of combustion.
very bad because it is evident that it has gaps, shortcomings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know, but in mine it just feels like something is holding it back, especially when accelerating from a full stop and then in 2nd gear it just doesn't want to pick up. I got outrun today by a 10 sec 0-100 car (Peugeot 308 base model). Just don't get it. This car has 180hp for peat sake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a compilation of real world test data by professional testers here:
Note for USA readers - all results are KPH not MPH so for 0-60 MPH read 0-100 KPH.

As noted repeatedly in this thread 0-60 is well away from the Mazda claim - 9.6 sec average from 8 results. As these are European tests all results are the manual box - your auto boxes will probably be worse.

I have the 2.0G M Hybrid (we don't get your 2.5G in the UK) with 120 HP (122ps)
The 0-60 average of 13 results is 9.8 sec - almost the same as the 2.0X and better than the Mazda claim!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a compilation of real world test data by professional testers here:
Note for USA readers - all results are KPH not MPH so for 0-60 MPH read 0-100 KPH.

As noted repeatedly in this thread 0-60 is well away from the Mazda claim - 9.6 sec average from 8 results. As these are European tests all results are the manual box - your auto boxes will probably be worse.

I have the 2.0G M Hybrid (we don't get your 2.5G in the UK) with 120 HP (122ps)
The 0-60 average of 13 results is 9.8 sec - almost the same as the 2.0X and better than the Mazda claim!
That is awful really. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I'm in process of ordering 3HB with SAX engine and I'm a bit concerned with info from this thread and around the web.
Information I got from the salesman when test driving the car was that the engine is limited to 120PS till 2000 km and 140-150PS till 4000 km (2500 miles).
Only after 4000 km engine map should change to full power.
Does anyone have more info on this topic?

Also, for you that have problems with hesitation, did you make an engine software update (TSB)?

BR from Croatia

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’ve driven 6.000 kilometers and I didn’t notice any difference after 2.000 or 4.000 kilometers. And yes, my car has the software update TSB. And I still have the hesitation while driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you happy with engine response and aceleration? Or is that part bad also?
I'm now at almost 6000KM and the car doesn't feel much different than it did the first few KMs, perhaps a little bit snappier. So if the testdrive at your dealer didn't convince you, this won't change after more mileage.

It's still a nice car to drive, handling is smooth and precise. Just isn't as quick as advertised and that is a letdown. The information you got from the salesman sounds like bs to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Goran Dzepina; You can drive the car easily at very low rpm’s (between 1.200 and 2.000) and thats the nice part of the engine. But accelerate between 3.000 and 6.000 rpm doesn’t go smoothly. It feels a bit irregular and with little shocks. I did a test drive in another Skyactiv-x car and I felt the same. I personaly hope a software update will fix this problem. What did you experience yourself while testdriving?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm now at almost 6000KM and the car doesn't feel much different than it did the first few KMs, perhaps a little bit snappier. So if the testdrive at your dealer didn't convince you, this won't change after more mileage.

It's still a nice car to drive, handling is smooth and precise. Just isn't as quick as advertised and that is a letdown. The information you got from the salesman sounds like bs to me.
I thought so, can't say the car is slow but it lacks a bit of "sparkle" under the hood.
Maybe with more miles things will improve.

Have you tried with different octane fuel? Here in Croatia we have options of 95, 98 and 100 octane.
Yesterday I've put a deposit on SAX in GT plus machine gray, definitely will measure 0-100 time, new and after a few 1000 km.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Goran Dzepina; You can drive the car easily at very low rpm’s (between 1.200 and 2.000) and thats the nice part of the engine. But accelerate between 3.000 and 6.000 rpm doesn’t go smoothly. It feels a bit irregular and with little shocks. I did a test drive in another Skyactiv-x car and I felt the same. I personaly hope a software update will fix this problem. What did you experience yourself while testdriving?
A bit of intro. Currently, I drive an Audi A3 sedan with 1.4 TFSI (125 PS, 200 NM).
This engine has all the power I need in all situations (city, highway, country lanes, overtaking, spirited driving) and it's power delivery is turbo engine like, a lot of power down low but it likes to rev to near the limiter.
I really like this engine, not so much rest of the car.

Test driving 3 with SAX engine, car feels better in almost every respect. Sound insolation is way better, damping is better controlled, more relaxed, less body lean in corners. Driving position is better (lower seating position), all controls (pedals, steering) are better judged and most crucial work together in harmony. Shifter is miles better and it is a real joy to use. Grip levels I couldn't test during test drive, mind that Audi has tons of mechanical grip with right tires.

About the engine, I'm unsure. First, it is N/A, they usually don't have the punch of a turbo engine but it doesn't mean that they are slow. I didn't feel any hesitation through the rev range and engines pulls quite hard from 5-6,5k revs.
I'm just a bit worried about relaxed/slightly spirited driving on country lanes. Will I have to work engine hard, take every gear to redline just to have fun? Because from 2,5-5K revs it seems that it lacks some grunt or could it just be N/A engine with different power delivery?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts