261 - 280 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
1. I don't have a skyactiv 3
2. I have zero mods besides an intake and MS3 rsb
3. I have no intentions of modding any further

You must have confused me with esm

I understand it's counterproductive to mod an econobox. So I took 3 grand and bought a Triumph Speed Triple to go fast on instead of modding my 3. 11.2 quarter mile and 35 mpg.
They have cars like this from the factory in our class so its not that crazy of a concept. ie. civic 4 banger econ car can be bought with 150hp with high 30 mpg or 200hp with 22/31 MPG as taken from their site.

Same thing with our cars with a few mods and a tune its like saying the difference between civic and civic si. Its not counterproductive, its just what your preference is. I would of bought the si but I like this car for its looks and the hatch so figured I could get just as much power with tune and mods. And ya it's not gonna be "fast" by any means but its the same reason people get the Si, it will get your heart beating a little more and its fun to zip around.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
They have cars like this from the factory in our class so its not that crazy of a concept. ie. civic 4 banger econ car can be bought with 150hp with high 30 mpg or 200hp with 22/31 MPG as taken from their site.

Same thing with our cars with a few mods and a tune its like saying the difference between civic and civic si. Its not counterproductive, its just what your preference is. I would of bought the si but I like this car for its looks and the hatch so figured I could get just as much power with tune and mods. And ya it's not gonna be "fast" by any means but its the same reason people get the Si, it will get your heart beating a little more and its fun to zip around.

The Si has VTEC and a 2.4 liter engine. We have a 2.0. I seriously doubt we're going to get 200 hp from the skyactiv without different cams. It has variable valve timing but not to the extent the K20 did and we're down almost half a liter from the KA24

·
Registered
958 Posts
You mention the K20 but keep referring to the current Si's 2.4L (K24, by the way)

The 2006-2011 or 12 had a 2.0L making 197hp from the factory. Vtec (the big cam lobe) is the reason for the power obviously. I don't think the Skyactiv engine has different size cams because it's not designed to make power.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
You all are confusing the hell out of me. Yes, I meant k24. Not the piece of shit Nissan ka. Anyway, the skyactiv has cam profiles set up for economy. Not power. My point is you're going to need bigger cams (like vtec profile on the k20) or a bigger engine (like the k24 or skyactiv 2.5).

·
Registered
958 Posts
No one mentioned Nissan's KA, so I don't know why you brought that up.

Anyway, I agree with what you said in regards to the Skyactiv's potential for more power but internal parts definitely need to be changed. There's no way that 45hp is "hidden" within the block, just waiting to be unleashed. Getting 200hp out of the 2.0L won't be easy and will definitely not be cheap.

The 2.5L can most likely reach 200hp with bolt ons and a nice tune on Premium fuel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You mention the K20 but keep referring to the current Si's 2.4L (K24, by the way)

The 2006-2011 or 12 had a 2.0L making 197hp from the factory. Vtec (the big cam lobe) is the reason for the power obviously. I don't think the Skyactiv engine has different size cams because it's not designed to make power.

The k24 only has 11:1 compression, as opposed to this 13:1 compression. I know it's crazy to say 40hp. I'm just saying more compression more power. They just tuned this motor to use that power and energy and tuned it to sip on gas with pussy timing and a/f etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
117 Posts
Once you guys get your tuning settled in and get back to normal driving would you report on your MPG please? I know it won't be apples to apples since most of you have various other mods but it would still be helpful for some of us fence-sitters concerned about tanking our MPG (pun intended).

Thanks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Im pretty sure I read somewhere that with the skyactiv transmission there is suppose to only be like %7 power loss through the drivetrain.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sounds about right, considering how thin and lightweight they supposedly made everything, for the sake of the Skyactiv badge on the trunk. Haha.

My only concern is how it will all be holding up in 10-15 years.

·
Registered
752 Posts
dunno I have no intentions of keeping this car that long bwahahahaha.. but really though I was under the impression most of the reductions were in friction. things like not having a true reverse gear that helped with putting the power to the wheel.

·
Registered
958 Posts
In the Skyactiv videos I've seen, the engineer mentions how parts are made lighter to reduce weight and improve efficiency. I imagine that all the gears and associated parts like the transmission casing itself is thinner then previous generations (non Skyactiv)

I don't plan on keeping mine that long either but due to the abusive driving I put the car through, I worry about the durability and longevity already @ only 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Lighter doesn't mean less durable. The parts are actually stronger (engine wise) as it has to put up with the high compression.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Once you guys get your tuning settled in and get back to normal driving would you report on your MPG please? I know it won't be apples to apples since most of you have various other mods but it would still be helpful for some of us fence-sitters concerned about tanking our MPG (pun intended).

Thanks.
I have a very aggressive tune, and thus my mpg went from 37 to 32. I can't say I drive the same as I did though as it's so much more fun to go fast.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
For the sake of science we're going to have to ask you to get some rough numbers on post-Phantom mpg's as well. It'll be interesting to see if you can actually pick up some mpg's in gentle driving with a little boost helping out at low revs.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hmm, I would try a speedo app on my phone to see what kind of 0-60I got.
0-60 tests can vary due to differences in driver inputs (shifting points on manual transmissions, auto vs. manual, launch technique... etc). Dyno's also vary between one type vs. another, and calibration. Best option would be to just take your WOT 3rd gear logs obtained from a flat road (no hills), and compare times within a speed/rpm range, like 40-60, 60-80 mph, etc. between before and after your mods. Make sure to specify your intake temps, as this can play a role. I left instructions on how to do this here if you are using MazdaEdit (post # 50 and 53):

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-2013-mazda-3-engine-performance/72378-phantom-supercharger-skyactiv-6.html

This would be a great way for us to compare results from different tuners, as well as from forced induction mods on the Skyactiv. I think the end goal is to find the best results for everyone, while avoiding forum politics between tuners... I will be posting my results after my tune is completed with Mat. It would be nice to see results from cars tuned with Dynotronics as well.

261 - 280 of 301 Posts