2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
682 Posts
That's a really good idea, both redline and Lubegard have coolant additives shown to reduce coolant tempts.
Obviously once the super is on there I'll be driving with my Torque app showing coolant and transmission Temps like all the time to start with, and every time I'm on track. Be data driven about whether or not heat is an issue.
Also thinking it would be great to add oil pressure and temperature gauges when adding the oil cooler...
Mishimoto also has a coolant additive : Mishimoto Liquid Chill® Radiator Coolant Additive

Reactions: WoodinvilleDan

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

·
Registered
682 Posts
Good to know, I'll definitely run one of these as the coolant is used to cool the transmission too.
Question is which is best? (or are they all good just pick one)
Redline wetter
Lubegard Kool it
Moshimoto chill

mishimoto 30 degrees cooler
royal purple 25 degrees cooler
redline 20 degrees cooler

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That's awesome @JoeMini - Mishimot Liquid Chill is now on the list!

I asked for some close up pictures of the supercharger assembly, wish it was already here! :)
They're calling it their second-generation of Mazda kits "more texture and more power" LOL (I think this is their second big run of manufacturing the Mazda kits so it includes some subtle improvements...)

mmexport1616595495596.jpg mmexport1616595507879.jpg mmexport1616595554536.jpg mmexport1616595563532.jpg

Also, confirmed they have basically the same kit, sized down for the 2.0L Skyactiv (notice the long neck on the smaller supercharger:))
mmexport1616601364142_.jpg

·
Registered
682 Posts

I asked for some close up pictures of the supercharger assembly, wish it was already here! :)
They're calling it their second-generation of Mazda kits "more texture and more power" LOL (I think this is their second big run of manufacturing the Mazda kits so it includes some subtle improvements...)

View attachment 281257 View attachment 281258 View attachment 281259 View attachment 281260

Also, confirmed they have basically the same kit, sized down for the 2.0L Skyactiv (notice the long neck on the smaller supercharger:))
View attachment 281261
Does look very much like the edelbrock supercharger.
It looks huge. All that will fit between the intakes & radiator... (oem intakes are removed ) and supercharge intake ports fit over engine intake ports
with long tip connects to its own belt and pulley onto a oem pulley. Its not OIl cooled ?
Would that fit a 2.0L non sky ?
Im still keen on the MX5 Kraftwerk supercharger and figuring a way to install on the FWD.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

View attachment 281257 View attachment 281258 View attachment 281259 View attachment 281260

View attachment 281261
I think that setup blows

HA HA! PUN!

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Supposedly my kit is on its way to an intermediate location where it will then be shipped to the US. Current estimate is 2 weeks out (~4/20), assuming it arrives as planned I will likely do the install the weekend of 4/24 or 5/1, getting excited/nervous

They shared the install instructions, and though they are not translated yet, there are so many pictures I think I could almost figure it out as is :)
Looks legitimate and makes me feel more confident about this, they clearly have done this before...

a screenshot of a representative page:
1617740607185.png

Reactions: Nezrif

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Updated original post with details of accompanying parts list...

Still waiting for tracking number, once I have that it's expected to only take 5 days to get here, but it may be another couple weeks before that happens, depending on customs and stuff. Obviously I'll update this thread once I hear anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the results. I'm also kinda hoping it adds a good amount of Supercharger whine. Not a huge fan of the boxy design, but if you can install the OEM cover over it, I guess it's not too bad.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Looking forward to seeing the results. I'm also kinda hoping it adds a good amount of Supercharger whine. Not a huge fan of the boxy design, but if you can install the OEM cover over it, I guess it's not too bad.
Yes, I'm really curious how the sound will change and hoping it's got a cool whine. I have the Injen CAI and will be using that with the supercharger so I expect that to aid induction sounds!
As for the look of it, I wasn't a huge fan of their first revision of the kit with totally plain looking box, but the current revision looks pretty good, really curious what it looks like in person...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I hope you are successful, and I am looking with great interest at how it might be moderated, by way of power (and principally torque-) output, in deference to my 6MT (which is less capable of absorbing torque than your 6AT).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Updated original post with details of accompanying parts list...

Still waiting for tracking number, once I have that it's expected to only take 5 days to get here, but it may be another couple weeks before that happens, depending on customs and stuff. Obviously I'll update this thread once I hear anything.
I hope it turns out better then you expected bro... I’m excited for the results... you nervous about anything?

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I hope it turns out better then you expected bro... I’m excited for the results... you nervous about anything?
Thanks
My biggest concern has been that it's not real. When I first heard about it I totally thought "that's BS", I even was researching how to put my own kit together...
At this point I'm most nervous of a defect, which can happen no matter how good the Manufacturer, otherwise I'm feeling very optimistic.
Just dropped $1,500 on parts to do it right and got a tracking number 😎

They sent me a video of the final check of my kit before sending it to the 'courier'
I shared on my car profile here:
http://instagr.am/p/CNsSJQtH0Br/

·
Registered
682 Posts
My biggest concern with the VT racing supercharger or the Kraftwerk superchargers is the stress it can put on the oem non sky especially high
compression skyactiv engine.and to the actual supercharger components. As you may have mentioned before ...Turbo's put more stress than superchargers
because of turbo higher psi inflicted on internals plus the other issue is heat. I have a friend who rebuilt his Gen1 Speed3 engine (350WHP)
with upgraded turbo & intercoolers & engine internals and the following year one of his piston rings let go.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I don't think Dan is going off the deep end re extracting every last ounce of performance out of the car. Note that the CR on a Sky engine is mitigated by late closure of the intake valves a lot of % of the running time. As I understand it some of the time the unboosted engine (at least) can tolerate the high CR...

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I don't think Dan is going off the deep end re extracting every last ounce of performance out of the car. Note that the CR on a Sky engine is mitigated by late closure of the intake valves a lot of % of the running time. As I understand it some of the time the unboosted engine (at least) can tolerate the high CR...
That's exactly right, Mazda uses overlapping valve timing to leave the intake valves open for the beginning of the compression stroke, reducing the effective CR, yet still having the high expansion ratio (technically a form of Atkinson cycle engines...)

Honestly I think these engines could take more than 6psi, I think these are remarkable engines. Maybe many years from now I may go mad scientest and swap the pulley size and bypass spring strength to get it up to 8-9psi, but obviously I think that's much more risky territory.
Interestingly, after researching Anrot superchargers a lot, they seem to use the exact same recipe for all of there kits, max 5-7psi depending on the kit, implying that almost any modern engine can take that amount of steady boost (they just adjust the screw/pulley size per engine displacement).

·
Registered
682 Posts
Dan is not at all off the deep end ... if he is ... im going to follow him ...lolol
I am in the process of going the supercharger route too . I know the Sky 2.0L has been supercharged with edelbrock supercharger
Edelbrock Supercharger Tuner Kit - ND MX5 (not sure how much boost they are running) on a Sky mx5 2.0L tuned with EcuTek with success.
I am in the process of rebuilding my non sky 2.0L ( and upping the compression to 12.5 : 1 with stage 2 cams and with wiseco pistons and rings and K1 rods and ACL rod bearings) with lighter internals , balancing the crankshaft, flow porting intake & exhaust ,adding stronger valve springs (upping rpm to 8500+). Builder estimates 40-60 extra HP and super smooth and balanced fast spooling high Revving engine. If i go supercharger route most likely with Kraftwerk (80-100 whp increase) and to maximize this mostly have to go with a standalone ecu like the Haltech 1500. Not sure if a mazdaedit / epifan tune with Dr Tune or Dynotronics will cut it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's exactly right, Mazda uses overlapping valve timing to leave the intake valves open for the beginning of the compression stroke, reducing the effective CR, yet still having the high expansion ratio (technically a form of Atkinson cycle engines...)

Honestly I think these engines could take more than 6psi, I think these are remarkable engines. Maybe many years from now I may go mad scientest and swap the pulley size and bypass spring strength to get it up to 8-9psi, but obviously I think that's much more risky territory.
Interestingly, after researching Anrot superchargers a lot, they seem to use the exact same recipe for all of there kits, max 5-7psi depending on the kit, implying that almost any modern engine can take that amount of steady boost (they just adjust the screw/pulley size per engine displacement).
Interesting how the sky engines Cams manage the CR.
The stage 2 im on is about scavanging ...longer intake and overlap the exhaust with intake so as to use exhaaust pressure to suck in air faster (a mini supercharger ..lol)

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Interesting how the sky engines Cams manage the CR.
The stage 2 im on is about scavanging ...longer intake and overlap the exhaust with intake so as to use exhaaust pressure to suck in air faster (a mini supercharger ..lol)
Ya, the Skyactiv relies on good scavenging from the tri-y headers to get the exhaust out of there, and ya it's an interesting strategy, I'm more used to the overlap that you mentioned. So instead of mechanically varying CR just get creative with valve timing 🤪

41 - 60 of 123 Posts