Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,347 Posts
Reactions: WoodinvilleDan

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
GREAT, actually just dropped a quick video in celebration of the 1 year anniversary :)
Hmmmm ... maybe switch to the NGK Ruthenium HX sparkplugs - they run colder - if you are always in the redline

Reactions: Hatch-it

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #386 ·
Hmmmm ... maybe switch to the NGK Ruthenium HX sparkplugs - they run colder - if you are always in the redline
When installing the supercharger need to switch to different spark plugs, I switched to NGK spark plugs for Nissan GT-R, 1 step colder heat range and 30% smaller gap
(was running the Ruthenium while N/A and they were great)

Reactions: JoeMini

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
When installing the supercharger need to switch to different spark plugs, I switched to NGK spark plugs for Nissan GT-R, 1 step colder heat range and 30% smaller gap
(was running the Ruthenium while N/A and they were great)
Hey forgot to ask ...with the higher boost ... are you on a thicker oil 5w ?

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Hey forgot to ask ...with the higher boost ... are you on a thicker oil 5w ?
At first I did, but after seeing the oil temps I realize there is no need. Never seen higher than 220f, even in summer on race track, or carving up a steep uphill canyon road.

I'm now running a new oil I found out about from a guy at the race track, itincludes good moly and additives, 2000 miles on the oil so far and it seems good and sounds a little less harsh up at red line:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
At first I did, but after seeing the oil temps I realize there is no need. Never seen higher than 220f, even in summer on race track, or carving up a steep uphill canyon road.

I'm now running a new oil I found out about from a guy at the race track, itincludes good moly and additives, 2000 miles on the oil so far and it seems good and sounds a little less harsh up at red line:
Thicker for less blow out ..because of boost

Triax look interesting at 5 quart for $35usd with a Moly additives
Im using Millers CFS 5w40 NT racing oil but its pricey at $112 usd for 5litres
Its slippy stuff is Synthetic Triple Ester Nano Tech
Canadian supplier lets me have it for $88 CDN for 5 litre - i promote it locally
Im also on their Gear Oil in the 5 spd

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Thicker for less blow out ..because of boost

Triax look interesting at 5 quart for $35usd with a Moly additives
Im using Millers CFS 5w40 NT racing oil but its pricey at $112 usd for 5litres
Its slippy stuff is Synthetic Triple Ester Nano Tech
Canadian supplier lets me have it for $88 CDN for 5 litre - i promote it locally
Im also on their Gear Oil in the 5 spd
Another Oil to consider -Idemitsu 5W-30 SP/GF-6 is a fully synthetic which im on now - this about $50 CDN per 5liter jug ($38 USD)
But did you know that Idemitsu also has a 5w40 race oil - im looking to see its cost - should be lower than a Motul race oil

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
ITs Been over a year ... how is the supercharger ?
Are you wanting impatiently for thr VFTuner with a siupercharger mazda application?

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
ITs Been over a year ... how is the supercharger ?
Are you wanting impatiently for thr VFTuner with a siupercharger mazda application?
It's been amazing, I realize how much I take it for granted having instant power at any rpm when I drive pretty much any other car, it's more comparable to a 2wd Tesla 3 than most other engines.

AND I'm going to the Corksport Mazda Showdown tomorrow, should be able to get it on their Dyno to finally get some official numbers! I'm very curious and feel like I have no idea what the peak HP number will be, because it has so much power down low it makes it feel extremely fast... Realistically I could imagine anywhere from 240-265wHP depending on the dyno configuration and if I have any issues with lean AFRs.

as for tuning, ya VFTuner sounds great though I'm not waiting around for it... I've continued to help DRTuned develop his tune for the supercharger, it's been a long process as we've learned together, but it's gotten it so much further than what it could do on the canned tune from the supercharger manufacturer.

Interestingly it turns out the source of my P0101 CEL and some of my lean AFR issues were caused by a faulty upstream O2 sensor (wide-band), even though I'm only at 53k miles it's been tuned since 23k miles and gone through a LOT of iterations and hard driving.
We're still dialing in the tune getting the AFR exactly where we want it for max power without pulling any timing (~12.0 AFR at peak rpm/boost/load)

Also, there's now over 30 supercharged Skyactivs that we know of (only a couple 6s though), and already 1 guy has put a smaller pulley to get +1psi across the rev range (technically only 3% smaller pulley, anything more would require stronger internals, said the supercharger company)

This car is and will remain my daily driver for many years to come so I will not be changing any pulleys, I think the low boost that it runs (mostly 2-4psi in normal driving, peak 8psi at red line) is a perfect balance that may actually increase enginge/transnmission longevity.
for instance seems to actually increase oil longevity (not sure how much it is because the Mishimoto oil cooler is ensuring oil temps are managed well or just the fact that it revs SO much lower most of the time). Furthermore the transmission is actually shifting a lot less than before the supercharger, so while there is more load on it, the fact that it's shifting at least 25% less because I have power at extremely low rpm (2psi @1400rpm) means that it may last longer as well.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #393 ·
I went to the CorkSport showdown event, unfortunately there was an operator error that caused my dyno (and a few others from that Dyno day) to read dramatically lower than reality 😭

Corksport reached out to me to apologize and invited me back for "hours of dyno time", so I'm going to get it back on a properly configured and re-calibrated dyno on 8/26/22.

One silver lining is that CorkSport dyno'd they're Mazda6 turbo test car, same year/transmission as mine, immediately after my car, so it was subject to the same incorrect reading. Now the Scale of the chart is wrong and the HP is wrong, since that's calculated from torque, but the torque curve and relative torque to the CorkSport turbo car is still relevant data.
So according the Corksport they expected their turbo car to make 235lb/ft of torque on a properly configured dyno, but on that day it read only 175lb/ft, under reporting torque by 34%
Whereas my car read 195lb/ft on that mis-configured dyno, which means the torque is likely at least 250lb/ft to the wheels and may be over 260, very curious what the resulting HP is!

Light Rectangle Slope Font Line

381 - 393 of 393 Posts